Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-20-2007, 04:33 PM   #16
ExpatSunsFan
Local High School Star

ExpatSunsFan has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: What do we do now?

PejaNowitzki: I believe the rules state that KT can't come back to the Suns as a FA for a full year after they trade him (if he's bought out). So, no KT.

Konex: they'll need at least one more big. P.J. Brown should be enough as long as nobody gets injured.

I'm sorry, I meant they'll need at least two more bigs.
ExpatSunsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 04:45 PM   #17
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
The Suns are giving away more players

July 20, 2007 3:03 PM

The Suns traded Kurt Thomas AND 2008 and 2010 first-round picks to the Sonics for a conditional second-round pick. The Sonics used the trade exception they got from the Magic, who gave it to them for the right to pay Rashard Lewis even more money, to make the deal work. In the press release, Suns GM Steve Kerr said it was a tough decision that had to be made to keep the current core together. No kidding.

There have been rumors going around the league over the last few weeks that the Suns had to cut $7 million in payroll and this deal does it. They get an $8 million trade exception, but unless there is a major philosophy shift, they probably won't use much of it. They already had trade exceptions in the bank.

Over the last two years the Suns have sold three first-round picks and now have lost two more. James Jones, dumped for free to Portland, was a rotation player handed away. Now they have also given away a versatile veteran big man, who they use on guys like Dirk Nowitzki. EDIT: oops, Tim Duncan. This, of course, is just bad business in the long term. Even in the short term, first round picks don't make that much money and are actually good to have on the payroll, too. Three of the Suns' best players -- Shawn Marion, Amare Stoudemire and Leandro Barbosa -- came in the draft. But with the huge deals owed to Steve Nash, Marion and Stoudemire and the new extensions for Boris Diaw and Barbosa kicking in, it is easy to see the financial pressure. Suns owner Robert Sarver is just doing what he is supposed to do, avoiding the luxury tax.

Perhaps even the Suns are ahead of the game, they got Grant Hill to come cheap, paying him in sunshine and a chance at a title. Recently, the Suns announced they'd totally sold out their season tickets for next year. So players are excited and fans are excited. But if this group doesn't win an NBA title, can ownership say it gave it the best chance? Right now, the answer is no. That's a bill that doesn't come due for years down the line.
http://myespn.go.com/nba/truehoop
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 04:47 PM   #18
sixerfan3511
Local High School Star

sixerfan3511 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatSunsFan
PejaNowitzki: I believe the rules state that KT can't come back to the Suns as a FA for a full year after they trade him (if he's bought out). So, no KT.

Konex: they'll need at least one more big. P.J. Brown should be enough as long as nobody gets injured.

I'm sorry, I meant they'll need at least two more bigs.

that's not the case because we traded Alan Henderson to the Jazz as a salary cap dump last year right before the deadline, they waived him and he came back to us a month or 2 later
sixerfan3511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 04:55 PM   #19
ExpatSunsFan
Local High School Star

ExpatSunsFan has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixerfan3511
that's not the case because we traded Alan Henderson to the Jazz as a salary cap dump last year right before the deadline, they waived him and he came back to us a month or 2 later
Hmm, interesting.

I'll have to look it up now.
ExpatSunsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 05:05 PM   #20
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

lol!

the Mavs did that with Hendu as well!

they traded him and Calvin Booth for Keith Van Horn, the Bucks then waived Hendu and the Mavs essentially traded Booth for KVH. I think Hendu came back to the team that week even.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 05:08 PM   #21
sixerfan3511
Local High School Star

sixerfan3511 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
lol!

the Mavs did that with Hendu as well!

they traded him and Calvin Booth for Keith Van Horn, the Bucks then waived Hendu and the Mavs essentially traded Booth for KVH. I think Hendu came back to the team that week even.

yeah, he was solid for the Mavs that year too, i think he was first in offensive rebounds per 48 minutes that year
sixerfan3511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 05:11 PM   #22
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
yeah, he was solid for the Mavs that year too, i think he was first in offensive rebounds per 48 minutes that year

just getting rid of Booth and his crap contract for a 2nd rounder would have been worth it.

Getting Keefus and Hendu back was greatness.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 06:34 PM   #23
KIWI

lol Kerrs just looking out for the Spurs best interest great work Steve you trade away a guy that did a solid job on Timmy and future picks i solute you
Old 07-20-2007, 06:47 PM   #24
saKf
Roy = my new fave.

saKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected poster

I don't see how the Suns could just sign Varejao outright. But what does Phoenix have that Cleveland would want in a sign-and-trade? Perhaps they covet the worthless-to-Phoenix Marcus Banks.
saKf is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: