Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 07-01-2008, 07:14 PM   #1
davitogreat
Can barely lace up my sneakers

davitogreat has an OK reputation so far
Default The state of the raptors

After the Jermaine Oneal trade and the recent resigning of Jose Calderon and the signing of Roko Ukic and Hassan Adams our roster looks more like this.

Center- J.Oneal/Nathan Jawai
PowerForward- Chris Bosh/Andrea Bargnani/Kris Humphries
Small Forward- Jamrio Moon/Jason Kapono/Joey Graham
Shooting Guard-Anthony Parker/Hassan Adams
Point Guard-Jose Calderon/Roko Ukic

The raptors dont look to bad, but one huge weakness he failed to fix was the state of our Wing players. It was evident last season that we had the weakest wing in the league. Our SG, and SF couldnt get it done on the court on the offensive end or defensive end. I was hoping Colangelo would fix this, but with the recent acquistion of J.Oneal it seems we dont have enough cap space to go after a servicable players like Kelenna Azuibuike or JR Smith, which has resulted in us throwing out money to a player like Hassan Adams hoping he can be our backup SG. When you then add this to the rapid decline of Anthony Parker it only ends up making our wing postions worse.
I feel if the Raptors want to truly compete in the NBA we need to get a respectable wing player who can hit the outside shot and play defence.(This will help cover up calderons defensive weaknesses) Unfortunatley we dont have enough funds to do this. This is why i dont feel comfortable with giving an ageing Anthony Parker who has lost most of his lateral movement majority of minutes at SG. (If you dont belive me then think of the multiple times last year that wing players scored 30 or more points against us.Parker is no more as good as he was defensivly 3 years ago)
Think about a line up of calderon,Parker,kapono,bosh and Oneal defensivly. The weak defence from our wings will defenetly put more pressure on bosh and Oneal which can end up working against us.
In the end, with this current lineup i see the raptors winning 40-45 games if our wing defeiciencies are not fixed.

Last edited by davitogreat : 07-01-2008 at 07:30 PM.
davitogreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:22 PM   #2
HalphbreedBaller
High School JV MVP

HalphbreedBaller has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: The state of the raptors

Quote:
Originally Posted by davitogreat
After the Jermaine Oneal trade and the recent resigning of Jose Calderon and the signing of Roko Ukic and Hassan Adams our roset looks more like this.

The raptors dont look to bad,but one glearing weakness he failed to fix was the state of our Wing players. It was evident last season that we had the weakest wing in the league. Our SG, and SF couldnt get it done on the court on the offensive end and defensive end. I was hoping Colangelo would fix this, but with the recent acquistion of J.Oneal it seems we dont have enough cap space to go after a servicable players like Kelenna Azuibuike or JR Smith, which has resulted in us throwing out money to a player like Hassan Adams hoping he can be our backup SG. When you then add this to the rapid decline of Anthony Parker it only ends upmaking our wing postions worse.
I feel if the Raptors want to truly compete in the NBA we need to get a respectable wing player who can hit the outisdeshot and play defence.(This will help cover up calderons defensive weaknesses) Unfortunatley we dont have enogh funds to do this. This is why i dont feel comfortable with giving an aging anthony parker who has lost most of his lateral movement majoity of minutes at SG. (If youdont beliive me then think of the multiple times last year that wing players scored 30 or more points against us.Parker is no more as good as he was defensivly 3 years ago)
Think about a line up of calderon,Parker,kapono,bosh and Oneal defensivly. The weak defence from our wings will defenetly put more pressure on bosh and Oneal which can end up working against us.
In the end, with this current lineup i see the raptors winning 40-45 games if our wing defeiciencies are not fixed.

Dude fix your spelling some people won't even respond to this because of it...just a thought.
HalphbreedBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:08 PM   #3
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputationDr.Funk has decent reputation

Our bench looks crappy.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:18 PM   #4
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

I agree that we still need some work. Our wing players need an upgrade and I am not sure how it will happen.

I think we should expect zero from Jawai. And Adams wasn't even in the NBA last year, and that's for a reason. Parker is on the decline certainly. But, JO if healthy will make a big difference. A lot of the teams in the East have gotten better.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:30 PM   #5
Good Old Willy
DBDs

Good Old Willy is considered somewhat coolGood Old Willy is considered somewhat coolGood Old Willy is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by davitogreat
After the Jermaine Oneal trade and the recent resigning of Jose Calderon and the signing of Roko Ukic and Hassan Adams our roster looks more like this.

It looks like you put some effort into your post. Thanks. Keep it going. Keep improving.

Couple thoughts:

I don't think its clear yet whether or not Nathan Jawai will be in Toronto this year. By all accounts I have read, he is quite raw, and orginally was meant to play in Europe for a season.

In my opinion it seems clear that Kapono is starting. It is one of the effects of trading for JO. The question is more whether Moon or PArker start along side him.

Thirdly, there seem to be 2 maybe 3 roster spots to be filled.

Lastly, no "State of the Raptors" thread can be complete without a comment on Delfino. As much as he may have been a disappointment to many fans, the reason he might not be back is lack of money. Its a pretty sad thing when you have to replace Delfino with Hasan Adams. Adams is half the player, he is a downgrade.

EDIT: btw, there is nothing uncool or wrong with using this edit function to fix all the spelling mistakes. It makes it more readable, and understandable for the rest of us. Keep at it! Thanks.

Last edited by Good Old Willy : 07-01-2008 at 08:35 PM.
Good Old Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:46 PM   #6
HalphbreedBaller
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Old Willy
It looks like you put some effort into your post. Thanks. Keep it going. Keep improving.

Couple thoughts:

I don't think its clear yet whether or not Nathan Jawai will be in Toronto this year. By all accounts I have read, he is quite raw, and orginally was meant to play in Europe for a season.

In my opinion it seems clear that Kapono is starting. It is one of the effects of trading for JO. The question is more whether Moon or PArker start along side him.

Thirdly, there seem to be 2 maybe 3 roster spots to be filled.

Lastly, no "State of the Raptors" thread can be complete without a comment on Delfino. As much as he may have been a disappointment to many fans, the reason he might not be back is lack of money. Its a pretty sad thing when you have to replace Delfino with Hasan Adams. Adams is half the player, he is a downgrade.

EDIT: btw, there is nothing uncool or wrong with using this edit function to fix all the spelling mistakes. It makes it more readable, and understandable for the rest of us. Keep at it! Thanks.

We can't afford Nathan Jawai Period!
Old 07-01-2008, 10:30 PM   #7
danumber88
I'm a neat monster.

danumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Funk
Our bench looks crappy.

Our bench was one of the deepst last year, this year B.C thought it didnt work so he's making some changes.

Hes not going deep on this one
danumber88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:37 PM   #8
Sekman
Great young streetballer

Sekman has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by danumber88
Our bench was one of the deepst last year, this year B.C thought it didnt work so he's making some changes.

Hes not going deep on this one

I have comment on this on other threads... deepest bench does not get you to the Championship--> Dallas, San Antonio, Milwaukee, Golden State, Portland, Atlanta... I think players should play serious minutes (around 30 to 40)....
Sekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:39 PM   #9
b4ball
Local High School Star

b4ball has an OK reputation so far

Every team struggles with defienciencies. Nothing new here, except for the really rich and inept (Isiah and the Knick and now MJ). What a good GM looks for is what will generate the best come the real season, IE the post season.

Yes we could have gone after Gerald Wallace. But with G. Wall. what would we have had?? Still and experimental centre (Bargs), weak defense ( that killled us last year) and very little in rebounding.

Come clean here folks, the Raptors aren't ready to over pay to get to the second round. We don't know if what we have assembled will work. We need to see what we have play and wait to see how it alll works out in the improved east before we start looking at what else we think we need to make move up the pecking order.

I trust BC and I'm comfortable with his vision. Let's look at what he's assembled before we all start thinking were NBA GM's and could do better.
b4ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:36 PM   #10
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation

I haven't heard the organization say anything about not signing delfino.
As a matter of fact they have made a qualifying offer. (maybe standard practice to give us options, but still an offer). I believe Delfino has the right to accept the qualifying offer if he so chooses. Perhaps the 2.74 million on the table is the most he can get including europe.
So this chapter is not closed yet.

Last edited by bluerap : 07-01-2008 at 11:53 PM.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 11:17 AM   #11
bonez26
Local High School Star

bonez26 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalphbreedBaller
We can't afford Nathan Jawai Period!

Why can't we? He's gonna be making league minimum and will pretty much be signed under the MLE. He'll be here for the start of the season in several papers already. They said they would rather have him develop in the NBA then in Europe. Don't know the reasoning. They'll probably send him to the D-league for a while this year then bring him back. He's a cheap and valuable piece if anyone gets injured. He'll probably be signed for a 2-3 year period. To develop. I like his attitude of bulldozing people already though. Soething we sorely lack inside.
bonez26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 11:19 AM   #12
HalphbreedBaller
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonez26
Why can't we? He's gonna be making league minimum and will pretty much be signed under the MLE. He'll be here for the start of the season in several papers already. They said they would rather have him develop in the NBA then in Europe. Don't know the reasoning. They'll probably send him to the D-league for a while this year then bring him back. He's a cheap and valuable piece if anyone gets injured. He'll probably be signed for a 2-3 year period. To develop. I like his attitude of bulldozing people already though. Soething we sorely lack inside.

The raptors are 12million plus over the salary cap thats why...
Old 07-02-2008, 11:23 AM   #13
Good Old Willy
DBDs

Good Old Willy is considered somewhat coolGood Old Willy is considered somewhat coolGood Old Willy is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalphbreedBaller
The raptors are 12million plus over the salary cap thats why...

No, no, no.

The Jawai thing was a joke.

Teams can always sign their picks, regardless of cap space. Furthermore late 2nd rounders make way under a mill a year. Just nba pocket change.
Good Old Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: