Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Utah Jazz Forum

Utah Jazz Forum Utah Jazz forum - Utah Jazz message board

Old 09-21-2006, 09:01 PM   #1
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation
Default Name the strengths of the Jazz

State why they should make the playoffs, what sets them apart from other teams, both individually and as a team
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 12:45 PM   #2
Pre777
I airball my layups

Pre777 has an OK reputation so far

Good question...

The Jazz have a great offensive frontcourt. Okur can shoot, Boozer can post up and kirilenko can slash and uses his vertical quickness for a lot of putback shots. All three are very strong passers and rebounders. AK's unique ability to block shots from behind or from the blindside limits opponents' confidence in the paint. Harpring is a great sixth man and would start on many other teams.

While we are currently weak at the 2 spot, that will improve with some athleticism by Ronnie Brewer and hopefully a healthy giricek. Derek Fisher should log some time there and improve our perimeter shooting.

Deron Williams will improve significantly and his ability to shoot, defend and slash.

Overall, the Jazz were among the top of the league in rebounding. We may still be a couple of years and a legit 2 guard away, but this team will be championship caliber soon.
Pre777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 03:30 PM   #3
akaTonyDanza
I airball my layups

akaTonyDanza has an OK reputation so far

I see the same thing in the team ,but health is the only thing that can stop these guys... Boozer will have a chip on his shoulder Okur will have to battle Millsap and Boozer for time Brewer will be competing for a starting role this team has upside...but the west has young up and coming teams as well..Jazz will be 7th seed in west this year.
akaTonyDanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 03:36 PM   #4
Bricklayer
Decent playground baller

Bricklayer has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre777
Overall, the Jazz were among the top of the league in rebounding. We may still be a couple of years and a legit 2 guard away, but this team will be championship caliber soon.

Nice summary - and that was the first thing that popped into my head when thinking of Jazz strengths - rebounding. (Now that we have Millsap on board, we're freaks!! ha.) Even in many of our losses last year, we outrebounded our opponents... which means we get more possessions. But i guess we just weren't as effective with each possession as the other team. I also feel this team has championship potential. You look at last year's champs - the Heat - and we match up favorably... Deron Williams will soon supplant (if he hasn't already) Jason Williams and the aging Payton as the better point guard... Kirilenko is better than any 3-spot they have, Boozer over Haslem (as long as he's healthy) and while Okur isn't nearly the defensive presence Shaq is, his offensive output - including the ability to shoot the long ball - easily rivals Shaq at this point in his career. The Heat's deeper bench is the difference maker... Oh, and that other guy they got. Wade. Their 2 spot is light-years ahead of ours. In time though, I think the jazz brass will resolve that shortcoming and we'll be contenders soon.
Bricklayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 12:52 AM   #5
lowblok
High School Varsity 6th Man

lowblok has an OK reputation so far

I also agree with what has been said but I think the bench could play a major role in where the Jazz go....

This bench has a whole lot of youth with great potential. Just look at Brewer, Millsap and the almost overlooked CJ Miles.
Add to that the veteran leadership of Fisher, Harpring and Collins. Also throw in Hoffa, Brown and who ever (if any) get's a contract out of training camp.

This BENCH is a lot deeper than people give credit for and they may well surprise this season.
lowblok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 02:19 AM   #6
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

El Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I always felt that Harpring was one of the most underrated 6th men in the leauge.
El Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:56 AM   #7
fungusamongus
Can barely lace up my sneakers

fungusamongus has an OK reputation so far

"Even in many of our losses last year, we outrebounded our opponents... which means we get more possessions. But i guess we just weren't as effective with each possession as the other team. "

Yeah, one thing that drove me nuts last year was watching shot clock violation after shot clock violation. Weren't we averaging like 4 a game or something. That's one thing I wish we could work on is getting better shots by setting up the offense more quickly.
fungusamongus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 11:48 AM   #8
wally_world
M0derator

wally_world has decent reputationwally_world has decent reputation

Strengths: AK47 & his defence
Weaknesses: Eveything else, AK47 & his offence
wally_world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 12:06 PM   #9
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Strength: Clearly a very strong offensive and rebounding frountcourt

Weakness: An inexperienced and weak backcourt

Its as simple as that. If Deron can maintain his trajectory hell be fine, but he 2 (most teams main scorer) is a virtual unknown.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 11:35 PM   #10
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I think a key here is that AK47 needs to stay healthy. If he can have a full season, it would bode well for the Jazz.
SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 11:45 AM   #11
bruceandbruce
Can barely lace up my sneakers

bruceandbruce has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
Strength: Clearly a very strong offensive and rebounding frountcourt

Weakness: An inexperienced and weak backcourt

Its as simple as that. If Deron can maintain his trajectory hell be fine, but he 2 (most teams main scorer) is a virtual unknown.

I'd say Deron Williams and Fisher, plus a healthy Giricek with young guns like CJ and Brewer make this a strong backcourt, if unproven. I think they'll be just fine here.

Biggest weakness I see is defensive stoppers. I see people touting Millsap as the next Malone, but he's got to defend like him too.

Bruce
www.UtahSportsCast.com
bruceandbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: