Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NBA sixth man of the year

Default Grantland Hour With Bill Simmons, Kobe and Jalen...

Anybody else watching this? Live right now on ABC...Great discussion with Kobe, talks about growing up in Italy and how growing up in isolation and then having to leave where he grew up affected him mentally...

Added the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzFYt3K1sqg
    Last edited by Dro; 02-28-2015 at 04:32 PM.

Default Re: Grantland Hour With Bill Simmons, Kobe and Jalen...

Quote Originally Posted by Dro
    Anybody else watching this? Live right now on ABC...Great discussion with Kobe, talks about growing up in Italy and how growing up in isolation and then having to leave where he grew up affected him mentally...
    he spent his whole career in isolation lol shit never changes mamba

Golden State Aster*sks

Kobe doesn't even have any friends. All he cares about is Vanessa and their 2 children.

I like how he says that he is not the type to leave a team to win when he was ready to leave and asked for a trade on national radio because he played on bad teams for just a couple of seasons. This was after winning 3 rings.
    Lakers fans are very intelligent and any minute now one of the many intelligent Lakers fans would post calling his bs.

Its a good interview, I've got a lot of respect for Kobe. Its hard to understand the mentality you have to be have to be one of the top 10 players of all time. Its easy to judge certain decisions that they make.

Only think I disagree with Kobe is they asked Kobe about staying with 1 team for his entire career and starts using quotes like "the captain has to go down with the ship", etc. It just reminds me of the year where he demanded a trade because the Lakers were so horrible but to be fair, many great players would have done the same thing and actually have done the same thing in that situation.

And to be fair, the Lakers have been bad other years too and Kobe has still stayed and not demanded a trade. Look at him now. He just said he's paying for his stubborness instead of ring chasing. At his age now, the Lakers would probably do him a favor by letting him go to a contender like most players do at this stage, look at Ray Allen only chasing a ring at this point, etc...

It's not new; it aired last weekend.

That being said, haters gonna hate.

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rose'sACL
    I like how he says that he is not the type to leave a team to win when he was ready to leave and asked for a trade on national radio because he played on bad teams for just a couple of seasons. This was after winning 3 rings.
    Lakers fans are very intelligent and any minute now one of the many intelligent Lakers fans would post calling his bs.
    Huge difference between threatening to leave and actually leaving.

He turned down being traded when the offer was presented.

Not hard to see the difference. But haters gon hate

Quote Originally Posted by Dro
    Its a good interview, I've got a lot of respect for Kobe. Its hard to understand the mentality you have to be have to be one of the top 10 players of all time. Its easy to judge certain decisions that they make.

Only think I disagree with Kobe is they asked Kobe about staying with 1 team for his entire career and starts using quotes like "the captain has to go down with the ship", etc. It just reminds me of the year where he demanded a trade because the Lakers were so horrible but to be fair, many great players would have done the same thing and actually have done the same thing in that situation.
    I believe it had MORE to do with the turmoil and distrust Kobe had with Laker management. Supposedly there were rumors floating around that one of the upper suits claimed Kobe was the reason for the Shaq trade and subsequent downfall of the team. Stephen A relayed that information to Kobe on air (the interview where he publicly demanded a trade), and the rest was history.

Not saying he handled it correctly, I'm just giving some background to that incident.

I applaud Jalen and Bill because they didn't turn the whole thing into an MJ / Kobe discussion. In fact, MJ was only briefly mentioned and it didn't go any further than that.

Nice to hear Kobe's observations.

Readers mailbag - "Would you change anything about the way you handled the Dwight Howard situation? Kobe - "No, I learned how to be a leader from Magic and those guys and you have to be ruthless. Before I hand over the keys to this Kingdom, that guy has to have the same DNA". Thats basically what he said. He said he can't be apologetic about that..

Kobe squashed his own trade to Detroit in 2007 for Hamilton, Prince and a lot of draft picks.

They asked Kobe why he only has 1 mvp, he basically said because the media votes on it.......

I can't remember the 2nd question from the mailbag and it was the best one...Maybe some else can help...
    Last edited by Dro; 02-28-2015 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime
    It's not new; it aired last weekend.

That being said, haters gonna hate.

I didn't know. When I saw it on the TV guide, it said a new episode of the Grantland Hour.......

Quote Originally Posted by Rose'sACL
    It's hilarious how butthurt you are at all times.

At the end of the day, he stayed and led the team to 2 more titles. Period.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

The interview is on youtube for those who haven't seen it. From the interview I noticed...

- Kobe is very intelligent, this guy knows basketball like very few others do.
    - Kobe is somewhat full of himself at the same time, you can tell by the tone of his voice.
    - Anyone else sense some little tension between Kobe & J. Rose? It was weird.

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
    The interview is on youtube for those who haven't seen it. From the interview I noticed...

- Kobe is somewhat full of himself at the same time, you can tell by the tone of his voice.
    Honestly, I didn't sense any tension whatsoever....

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers

It was more between Simmons and Kobe tbh