Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Local High School Star

Default Re: Let's talk about the future

Quote Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
    Will they re-sign Lowry? .... A contract probably starts at around $9-10 million per year.

You keep guys like Vasquez and Patterson if they're cheap. Let them go otherwise. Both can be solid rotation players but nothing more, IMO. You obviously let Salmons go.

Right now, the Raptors future to becoming a legit contender depends on internal growth in Valanciunas (who I like and believe in) and Ross (who I am not a fan of).....

What I'm worried about is signging Lowry and Amir to big extensions and being locked in with this core. The overconfidence in the current roster has happened twice in Raptors history. The JYD, Alvin and AD extensions with Vince. The Colangelo post division title years with Bosh. Both times the Raptors failed to surround a top talent with anything decent. Except this time there isn't any one as good as Vince or Bosh.
    Really good post Q... in fact while I never totally agreed with you on "total tank" you nailed a lot of my thoughts concerns.

1) I think Klow is actually 10.5 M - 11M money.. a small quibble. It just is. He will want Ike money but probably has earned a premium to Derozan money.

2) Vasq and Big P are keeper on qualifying offers. No worried there. I think we keep Salmons as well. I think Salmons may be wise enough to trade more years for less money.

3) I think Ross is the trade card. The growth you talk about is centris to Val and Derozan - minor difference.

4) Over confidence in roster. Here you nailed my own concerns. Some "peace of mind" will come if Amir / Salmons sign longer deals at less money.

The draft is a mute point albiet I see Ross as the carrot.

Local High School Star

I'm one of the biggest pro-tank guys here, but honestly, I would not care if this team was winning on the backs of the young guys(Ross, Val, Derozan).

My biggest fear about this season is due to the hot streak and the pathetic state of the East, Casey will be retained and Casey is BY FAR the biggest detriment to this team. There's a reason John Salmons and Chuck Hayes were not playing in Sacramento. We're starting to see the same old bullsh*t from the past couple of years that quite frankly I can't take anymore. I feel like throwing something at my TV every time I see Salmons or Hayes taking Ross or Val's minutes.

Yes they're young, they're going to mess up and make mistakes but they need to be able to learn from it and grow as a result. Otherwise they're just being wasted and should be traded so they can actually be developed with a coach who actually can do his job.

Even if we managed to grab a top pick(as unlikely as it is), what's the point of getting someone like Wiggins or Parker or Randle or whoever if all they're going to do is rot on the bench. It's not like this is a new phenomenon, we saw this with Ed during Casey's first year. We saw it last year with Ross and Val, and now it's happening again.

If Casey is retained, I don't think I could stomach being a fan anymore.

Banned

With Leiweke, Drake and possible huge cap space, is LeBron in Toronto possible?

Quote Originally Posted by kaiteng
    With Leiweke, Drake and possible huge cap space, is LeBron in Toronto possible?
    I wish. Looking at the roster, it could lure him since the team is young and has potential, but I don't think there's cap space if he asks more money, depending if he opts out of his contract.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
    I wish. Looking at the roster, it could lure him since the team is young and has potential, but I don't think there's cap space if he asks more money, depending if he opts out of his contract.
    Many teams are setting things up for LeBron now. Bulls is clearly one. Cavs dumped Bynum for more than a reason also.

I might be possible if Raptors show that they are a real contender that is missing one superstar to get there. Raps can opt not to sign Lowry, if he is still around by the end of the season, for a big cap space and there is enough Leafs money to feed LeBron also.

Many teams are setting things up for LeBron now. Bulls is clearly one. Cavs dumped Bynum for more than a reason also.

I might be possible if Raptors show that they are a real contender that is missing one superstar to get there. Raps can opt not to sign Lowry, if he is still around by the end of the season, for a big cap space and there is enough Leafs money to feed LeBron also.
    If we don't sign Lowry, were going with Vasquez at the PG ? Wouldn't be idle, since James likes to be the main passer and scorer on the team. You would need to have a better spot up shooter and Lowry would be that guy. We could search better options if that's the case. I agree we need a superstar player, maybe even 2 or a very good player that fits on this team.

No doubt Raptors should have enough money to sign him if he does want more money, but obviously that wasn't the case before him when he signed with the Heat.

Diaw Fan

Why the hell would LeBron want to come to Canada and pay even more taxes?

Quote Originally Posted by Prodigy
    Why the hell would LeBron want to come to Canada and pay even more taxes?
    Why would money even be a problem for him ?

Diaw Fan

Why would money even be a problem for him ?
    If he wouldn't come for money then there is nothing here for him.

Banned

There is. Getting more championship rings.

Diaw Fan

There is. Getting more championship rings.
    With Rudy DeRozan over his own established Heat squad? Let's be real. Toronto is probably his 15th choice of teams to play for.

Banned

With Rudy DeRozan over his own established Heat squad? Let's be real. Toronto is probably his 15th choice of teams to play for.
    DeRozan can be LeBron's new Wade and Valanciunas can be LeBron's new Bosh.

Local High School Star

DeRozan can be LeBron's new Wade and Valanciunas can be LeBron's new Bosh.
    Get it out of your head now... it wont happen.

1) Taxes is not the issue. New York Taxes verses Canada is a minor difference. Players have "taxes paid when andwhere they play. 41 games played in the USA. Plus USA tax credits for Canadian taxes paid in Canada over the rate in the USA. Non Issue. Player choose the Knicks or Lakers when taxes are lower in Florida and Texas. If taxes were even 5% responsible no one would ever play in Boston, New York, Toronto, LA, Portland, or Chicago.

2) Sponsorship. 1 local sponsorship in New York, Chicago, Miami, LA, Houston is more lucrative than being the entire Canadian spokeman for cold FX. Simple. Off court revenue exponentially higher in about 5 USA cities not to mention potential nationwide coverage of local deals.

3) Winning. All the teams that win championships with the minor exception of SanAn and the Pistons (10 years ago) all spend over the cap. The Raptors never spend over the cap. Enough said.

Super Elite super stars will come to Torotno (only) if and (only) when...
    1) the team consistently challenges deep into playoffs i.e. SanAn et al
    2) the team will be willing to load up and spend over the cap well in to the luxury tax for a couple of seasons to make that push. Review Chris Boshes comments as he left about the team spending and cap.

I am hopeful on 1.

I would be greatful for 2 (for a change) but you have to have 1 in place first. This core has "some promise" but is not yet there as evident by 3 losses to Celtics, Lakers, Bobcats... Maybe only an impact player away but still not there.

He never signed with the Heat for money.

Diaw Fan

He never signed with the Heat for money.
    What are you trying to say? That Toronto is as lucrative as the Heat were back then? Why are we even still talking about this? There is no chance it is happening. There is a higher chance of all the other teams in the East having a resurgence and us ending up with a top 3 pick. Which at this point I'd give a 1% chance at most.