Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Philadelphia 76ers Forum

Philadelphia 76ers Forum Philadelphia 76ers forum - 76ers message board - Sixers fan forum

Old 06-16-2009, 02:43 AM   #1
Venja42
Decent playground baller

Default Willie Green

I am not a fan. Not many of you are.

But I have a suggestion.

First, ask yourself this: When was Willie Green EVER any good.

Under Jim O'Brien. An offensive oriented coach who played Green sparingly but when he did, Green excelled.

Now we have Eddie Jordan, another self-proclaimed Offensive Genius who spoke of "The Offense" like it was an important person.

Now, here's my suggestion. When O'Brien played Green, it was at the point guard position. Green has decent court vision and good enough handle to man the position. His strong 6'4 frame will make him a tough assignment for opposing guards and he has always been steady on defense. His scoring ability (yes, he does have some) will increase from playing with the ball and being able to run the offense.

Do I think this will work? Not necessarily.
But Willie at the duce hasn't worked at all. And the only time Willie was successful was as a back-up point guard in an open offense.

Why not!?
Venja42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:07 AM   #2
SixersFan76
I hit open 5-footers

Default Re: Willie Green

Mainly, because we have Lou Williams on the roster. Otherwise, I agree - Willie's best role is as a back up PG and sometimes SG. He's a combo guard and is certainly not a starting quality NBA SG. However, with Lou Williams here, there is no place for playing Willie at PG. If the Sixers draft a PG in the first round, they would still be looking to bring in a veteran back up as insurance because they aren't sure Williams can be a full time PG, rookies are tough to depend on, and Green has yet to show himself to be a PG - all 3 would be too similar. More of a roster situation than anything. Your basketball point about Green however is a good one.
SixersFan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 07:22 PM   #3
ppierce34
High school junior varsity star

Willie is what he is, a decent back-up guard that can score in bunches at times, but shoot you out of games as well. Problem is, he's been given a bigger role than he should have. I don't really dislike him, although he still burns me a bit for missing those free throws in that Detroit series a few years ago.
ppierce34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:21 PM   #4
SixersFan76
I hit open 5-footers

On a personal level, there is little to dislike about the kid. The two issues Sixers fans have with him are not his fault - his contract is over market value for a player of his caliber and was too long, and he has been cast into a starting SG role he's not equipped to handle. That being said, the fact that he's a good kid doesn't make it any easier watching him in the starting line-up.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:23 PM   #5
ppierce34

That contract was another case if Billy King falling in love with "his" guys.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:40 PM   #6
SixersFan76
I hit open 5-footers

Dalembert, Green, Korver, etc. He drafted fairly well, but gave out terrible contracts and made bad trades at bad times.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:04 PM   #7
ppierce34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixersFan76
Dalembert, Green, Korver, etc. He drafted fairly well, but gave out terrible contracts and made bad trades at bad times.

Yup, he drafted solid players, but he always overvalued them.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:46 PM   #8
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppierce34
Yup, he drafted solid players, but he always overvalued them.
Don't forget he drafted Thaddeus Young too. He probably would have gave him a 15 mil a year deal after his rookie contract was up.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: