Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-27-2010, 12:53 AM   #46
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Default Re: MAD MEN series discussion

Yeah, the lucky strike scene was my favorite too. Slattery was fantastic in that scene.

I feel like Pete will definitely hold this over Don in some future scenario for his own advantage. And jesus christ, is trudy going to birth the fattest child in recorded history?

I think this has been my favorite season since season 1. I feel like Ham has got to win an Emmy for this season.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:26 AM   #47
picc84
Very good NBA starter

That was the most intense episode since Betty found out who he really was. Literally on the edge of my seat the entire time.

Can't believe Pete had to dive on the AA account for Don. He OWNS him now. That, and Don told Faye about his true identity? Draper is slipping, there are now two people besides Betty who could ruin him.
picc84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:30 AM   #48
Joshumitsu
Local High School Star

What a nerve rattling episode. Draper narrowly escapes once again, and SCDP loses AA and almost loses Lucky Strike.

I cringed when Lane took a cane to the face. Poor guy. He really felt like he belonged in America. And when he had the Mickey Mouse at the beginning, waiting for his girlfriend only to greet his father, you just had to feel sorry for the poor chap.

Sterling's scene with Lee was excellent. After the death of Ms. Blankenship, he's really starting to lose it around the office.

And for all his own destructive behavior and lies, Campbell really nails it when he talks about the "destructive" behavior of Don. It takes one to know one but when Campbell takes the rough end of the stick from Roger Sterling (one f-bomb included), you can tell things aren't going to be good for the company. Knowing Pete Campbell, he's going to look for an opportunity to one-up Don soon.

Tying into that behavior, Dick, once saved by Faye, reverts back to his Don persona and eyes his new secretary (who is ****ing hot btw, see page 1 of thread). Does Don want to start a new life with Faye or does he want to re-live his old lifestyle again? This is really starting to feel cyclical, which can be a good or a bad thing.
Joshumitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:16 AM   #49
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Anyone else find it hilarious when Roger kept searching trough his rolodex as he acted concerned about the death of an old client?
Old 09-27-2010, 01:52 PM   #50
brooks_thompson
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
Anyone else find it hilarious when Roger kept searching trough his rolodex as he acted concerned about the death of an old client?

i thought it was kind of touching in a ****ed up way. it seemed like he was really sincere with the widow he was talking to, but at the same time, he's struggling to keep himself relevant and trying to find another account before he breaks the news to the guys.
brooks_thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:09 PM   #51
brooks_thompson
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshumitsu
What a nerve rattling episode. Draper narrowly escapes once again, and SCDP loses AA and almost loses Lucky Strike.

I cringed when Lane took a cane to the face. Poor guy. He really felt like he belonged in America. And when he had the Mickey Mouse at the beginning, waiting for his girlfriend only to greet his father, you just had to feel sorry for the poor chap.

Sterling's scene with Lee was excellent. After the death of Ms. Blankenship, he's really starting to lose it around the office.

And for all his own destructive behavior and lies, Campbell really nails it when he talks about the "destructive" behavior of Don. It takes one to know one but when Campbell takes the rough end of the stick from Roger Sterling (one f-bomb included), you can tell things aren't going to be good for the company. Knowing Pete Campbell, he's going to look for an opportunity to one-up Don soon.

Tying into that behavior, Dick, once saved by Faye, reverts back to his Don persona and eyes his new secretary (who is ****ing hot btw, see page 1 of thread). Does Don want to start a new life with Faye or does he want to re-live his old lifestyle again? This is really starting to feel cyclical, which can be a good or a bad thing.

you're right about sterling kind of losing it over blankenship. they played it to where cooper was the only one who 'truly' mourned her, but roger was unsettled as well, even if not for entirely unselfish reasons.

i just can't get into the idea that pete is going to really try to **** don over, at least any time soon (the rest of this season). now that he's a partner, he's got a vested interest in the firm, and he almost crapped his pants when draper bluffed and told him he could run the business without him. draper's still got some good years left in him; pete has matured to the point where he realizes this. and for me, that's why i've grown on the character over time, this season especially.

and! i don't think don was necessarily eyeing megan at the end of the episode. i admit, the writers have telegraphed a lot of stuff concerning megan, suggesting she'll become a bigger character in the future (playing her up with peggy's 'hipster' friends, complimenting peggy in the ladies' room, her comforting sally last week). but she made a remark along the lines of "everything is alright" once she got the tickets there in time. and she thought everything truly was despite the company in peril; her only job is to be secretary. i think don just sort of longed for that naivete/ideal beauty where nothing can be worse than not getting concert tickets for your boss. it reminded me of that shot of peggy when he noticed her in a meeting (after they had bonded in that incredible episode the week before).

to me, it seems like the show has gotten away from most of the more 'soap opera-y' plots like pete and peggy season 1. BUT maybe the joan/roger pregnancy, when the possibility seemed so obvious that it might just never be mentioned again, is bringing the show full circle.

Last edited by brooks_thompson : 09-27-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:27 PM   #52
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

Quote:
Honestly Pete's maturation has been phenomenal. It's amazing how at the beginning of the series he was the snot-nosed kid and Don was the God of the place - anyone else see how that's becoming reversed? Can you imagine Pete Campbell bailing Don out of that kind of trouble in S1?

Still a little confused why Pete did it, though. Is it because he feels the agency would crash and burn without Don? Most likely, but still, interesting food for thought.

Quote:
That final scene was incredible, and it opens up an entirely new realm of speculation. My first thought, too, was that Don, having cheated fate again, might feel bulletproof again. I don't know, though - don't count on this NAA/government arc being over just yet. Feels too easy, too simple of a solution for the amount of tension built throughout that episode.

Another great episode in another great season.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:31 PM   #53
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

I just got all 3 seasons of Mad Men for my birthday. Top 5 birthday present I've ever gotten.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:38 PM   #54
Black Joker
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
I just got all 3 seasons of Mad Men for my birthday. Top 5 birthday present I've ever gotten.
oh i hate you. i'm totally jealous
Black Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:45 PM   #55
brooks_thompson
Good college starter

Quote:

happy birthday dude
Old 09-28-2010, 07:50 PM   #56
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Thank you sir.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:14 AM   #57
Juges8932
Land of Ownst

Just got season 1 in blu-ray in today. My roommate and I started it a few mins ago.

Quote:

Happy birthday
Juges8932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:26 AM   #58
DirtBag
Hello!

Happy Birthday JB!
DirtBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:32 AM   #59
Joshumitsu
Local High School Star

Happy late Birthday. I wished I got all 3 seasons lol.

Speaking of which, how come Don Draper doesn't celebrate birthdays?

And what were his teenage/young adult years like? Earlier in this season, during the flashback scene when Roger met him, Don still seemed kind of like a dork. He grinned a lot and acted aloof. He was still Dick Whitman, not Don Draper. I hope they explain this.
Joshumitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:45 AM   #60
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Quote:
Happy late Birthday. I wished I got all 3 seasons lol.

Speaking of which, how come Don Draper doesn't celebrate birthdays?

And what were his teenage/young adult years like? Earlier in this season, during the flashback scene when Roger met him, Don still seemed kind of like a dork. He grinned a lot and acted aloof. He was still Dick Whitman, not Don Draper. I hope they explain this.

It was pretty interesting how they showed Don getting hired in similar fashion to the short guy that's related to Rogers wife (forgot his name lol) got hired by him. Not sure if they will explore it deeper but I sure hope they do.

Thanks to everyone for the happy birthdays too.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: