Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 12-18-2009, 05:08 AM   #31
Atrokkus
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Atrokkus has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: I hate people that...

I hate myself for not calling it when somebody fouls me for real. Well, not everytime of course, but sometimes I'm just too engaged in whatever I'm doing and barely notice the foul, and at times it hurts the team. (hurts me too, but I notice the pain only like some moments after)

Speaking of guys that foul incessantly on the play, I advocate adjusting your style to counter their aggressiveness. Fight fire with fire. There's this guy who would always stick out his elbow, no matter whether he's screening or boxing out... With other guys I'm playing as if there's a ref watching (though still pretty harsh sometimes, if they don't mind it), but with that guy I'm getting my berserker mode on, pushing, slamming and whatnot, fouling him back like a motha. And he doesn't mind at all.

Have you seen Spike Lee's "Kobe Doin' Work"? During a close-up of Kobe working against Bowen, Kobe in the voiceover says how he enjoys Bowen's old-school brawling style basketball, when you get as physical as you can possible get without fouling too obviously. That's pretty interesting, and I often share his sentiment... physical plays get you all worked up, adrenaline flowing. Makes you think less and act on instinct -- and most of the time that's how you should act in basketball.

Last edited by Atrokkus : 12-18-2009 at 05:10 AM.
Atrokkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:18 AM   #32
Automajic23
Playground Legend

Automajic23 is considered somewhat coolAutomajic23 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrokkus
I hate myself for not calling it when somebody fouls me for real. Well, not everytime of course, but sometimes I'm just too engaged in whatever I'm doing and barely notice the foul, and at times it hurts the team. (hurts me too, but I notice the pain only like some moments after)

Speaking of guys that foul incessantly on the play, I advocate adjusting your style to counter their aggressiveness. Fight fire with fire. There's this guy who would always stick out his elbow, no matter whether he's screening or boxing out... With other guys I'm playing as if there's a ref watching (though still pretty harsh sometimes, if they don't mind it), but with that guy I'm getting my berserker mode on, pushing, slamming and whatnot, fouling him back like a motha. And he doesn't mind at all.

Have you seen Spike Lee's "Kobe Doin' Work"? During a close-up of Kobe working against Bowen, Kobe in the voiceover says how he enjoys Bowen's old-school brawling style basketball, when you get as physical as you can possible get without fouling too obviously. That's pretty interesting, and I often share his sentiment... physical plays get you all worked up, adrenaline flowing. Makes you think less and act on instinct -- and most of the time that's how you should act in basketball.

Good post. I do the same in game play. In pickup I used to ***** because I don't feel like getting hurt but at some point I manned up and said w/e I won't get hurt, he might!
Automajic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:52 PM   #33
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Yea I like people who play physical and don't have a problem with you playing physical. I hate people that are physical and then you get physical with them and they get butthurt about it... or people who aren't physical and get butthurt about it. I love it when I can gaurd a guy real tough and same with him on me because it's good competition. Sometimes you get those ballhogs out there ruining games... but fighting for position on boards makes it a little more interesting.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 07:04 PM   #34
mjkittredge

mjkittredge has an OK reputation so far
Angry Re: I hate people that...

It's funny, at the YMCA I play at, two of the best players are the biggest whiners. One of them, he tries to block every shot, so I go up like I'm shooting, he jumps too, and before I land I bounce the ball off of him & grab it again then go to the basket or get space and shoot. When I make this play, he says "You can't do that!" Gimme a break. Show me where it says in the rules you can't bounce the ball off another player and recover it!

The other guy, I'm getting in position to set a screen on him, lurking behind him or on his blind side. "You can't do that, illegal screen!" I said to him "I didn't even touch you, don't we have to come into contact before it's a violation?" I went and looked at the rules online, most I could find said I have to establish my position (ie stand still) for 1 second before contact with arms tucked in. Tell me if I'm wrong, but does he have to move to cover his man and run into me while I'm still moving before it's an illegal screen?
mjkittredge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 10:54 PM   #35
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Ya know I was just thinking about that today... someone jumps up and if you know you are going to blocked then just throw it off their hip and go. I am pretty sure that's a legal play... It's like throwing off someone while going out of bounds... or throwing it off someone on an inbounds pass. It's just a smart play.
Old 12-25-2009, 11:32 PM   #36
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
Ya know I was just thinking about that today... someone jumps up and if you know you are going to blocked then just throw it off their hip and go. I am pretty sure that's a legal play... It's like throwing off someone while going out of bounds... or throwing it off someone on an inbounds pass. It's just a smart play.

Without any concrete evidence, I'll say I'm 90% certain I've seen this exact play made in a college basketball game.
Rake2204 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:17 AM   #37
Sotheara

Sotheara has an OK reputation so far

LMAO, someone called a 3 second violation in street ball? Wtf. I don't call fouls, unless it's either really noticeable or the game is close, but I don't like it when dudes know that you don't call fouls, and keep hacking you. It's pretty annoying.
Sotheara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:33 PM   #38
Maga_1
NBA sixth man of the year

Maga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

We play basketball with the prison rules here .. no blood, no call. ahaha
Maga_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:31 PM   #39
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maga_1
We play basketball with the prison rules here .. no blood, no call. ahaha

and whoever loses takes it up the butt? :P
Old 12-29-2009, 12:20 PM   #40
Maga_1
NBA sixth man of the year

Maga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
and whoever loses takes it up the butt? :P

When i play against pretty girls and i win ... YEAH
Maga_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: