Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    High School Varsity 6th Man Connor B's Avatar

Default How good will Dallas be, really?

Everyone on here is acting like they are going to be really good, and I agree they will be much improved from last year. Two things they got going for them big time...

- Their starting line up is one of the best in the league
    - Their coach is one of the best in the league

Outside of that though, how great is this team? Is their bench deep? How good can they be against true western contenders like Spurs, Thunder, Clippers, and then the Warriors/Trailblazers? Could they legitimately make a finals run?

Default Re: How good will Dallas be, really?

55 wins. Second round exit.

Quote Originally Posted by navy
    Second round exit.
    Depends on the match-up. Spurs ROFLstomped every team they faced and yet Dallas pushed them to 7 games. In the first round.

Banned

52 wins and a 2nd round exit depending on the seeding. could easily still be a first round exit again if bad seeding.

4 ring - 4 FMVP - 4MVP J Shuttlesworth's Avatar

They were a Blair ejection away from potentially beating the Spurs...

Now they're a ****ton better. They could at least be an upset team

First Kobe fan on ISH JohnFreeman's Avatar

Felton vs Westbrook, CP3, Curry, Lillard will be interesting

Default No D in Big D

They are one piece away I think. I'm not sold on the Nelson/Felton PG combo. Who is their best defensive perimeter player?

Still they are very well coached and offensively they could be next year's Portland, so good that they win in spite of some defensive short comings.

Banned

Default Re: No D in Big D

but Dirk declines another year. Last year he showed that he's just not what he used to be in the clutch and the playoffs. And now he'll be another year removed.

Very good NBA starter

The myths of how "great" they were last season seem to be growing (they barely made the playoffs) but remember they were below average defensively and need to improve a great deal. Picking up Jameer Nelson was awesome, one of the more underrated players in the league imo. And picking up Tyson was huge, though he shoulda been on the team all along (if Cuban was more reasonable).

My biggest questions or worries about the Mavs this upcoming season:

- How great is Tyson Chandler looking nowadays and can he stay healthy?
    - Can Dirk at his age be a big part of a defensively elite team? (ie. if he's not scoring well, can he compensate well enough? he was getting smoked by Diaw at times in the first round)
    - Are they putting too many eggs in the Chandler Parsons basket? (the past few seasons they've gunned for Howard, D-Will, Melo, etc.. but settled for Parsons)
    - Can they hide Ellis and Felton's poor decision making? (minor problem, but still, it matters)
    - can they become a top 5-10 defensive team

bears can smell it OncePerMonth's Avatar

I think that with their improved roster, they will be about 4th seed baring injuries.

NBA rookie of the year HOoopCityJones's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SCdac
    The myths of how "great" they were last season seem to be growing (they barely made the playoffs) but remember they were below average defensively and need to improve a great deal. Picking up Jameer Nelson was awesome, one of the more underrated players in the league imo. And picking up Tyson was huge, though he shoulda been on the team all along (if Cuban was more reasonable).

My biggest questions or worries about the Mavs this upcoming season:

- How great is Tyson Chandler looking nowadays and can he stay healthy?
    - Can Dirk at his age be a big part of a defensively elite team? (ie. if he's not scoring well, can he compensate well enough? he was getting smoked by Diaw at times in the first round)
    - Are they putting too many eggs in the Chandler Parsons basket? (the past few seasons they've gunned for Howard, D-Will, Melo, etc.. but settled for Parsons)
    - Can they hide Ellis and Felton's poor decision making? (minor problem, but still, it matters)
    - can they become a top 5-10 defensive team

Possibly.

Like you said , if Tyson stays healthy they'll have one of the best interior defenders in the League. Same with Parsons on the perimeter, but we have to see if he advances in development instead of digress.

This makes me think of Houston, Ariza will be able to replace the void of Parsons defensively , but not Offensively and playmaking.

Now the idiots Dwight and Harden are alienating Teammates before the season has even started, which is not a good move imo.

I'm thinking 5th or 6th seed, about 51 wins.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Playoffs, first round exit...if that. I mean this team is going to have to be REALLY GOOD OFFENSIVELY to make up for the fact that 1-4 they are garbage to average defensively.

Banned

Contenders.

NBA is at its weakest in a long time.

Just depends on Dirk's health, really.

Back to Business

Mavs gonna regret giving up shane larkin. Raymond felton is a backup pg at best...dude never looks to in GREAT shape...not saying he is fat but he just never looks in supreme shape for a pro athlete. Tyson chandler had his best years in dallas...he will be comfortable...only reason he left dallas a few years back was because he wanted the money...didnt leave dallas on bad terms. He will be motivated. Dirk will be dirk...actually think he will be better this year.

When u are 7 feet with a jumper u SHOULD be able to play until 40. Dirk is looking like he will. High IQ,great leader,unselfish,and a winner. I think mavs finish in the middle if the pack...possibly meet the rockets in the first round...epic series. Mavs in 6.

I honestly think the team with the most to prove this year is the rockets....it sucks because if they flop..the scapegoat will be mchale.