Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Decent college freshman InfiniteBaskets's Avatar

Default Re: Front runner for MVP right now?

Quote Originally Posted by Nero Tulip
    It should be Durant. OKC is doing better, against much better competition. Miami has actually been a bit disappointing, though I'm sure the playoffs will be a different story.

I hope Parker gets some votes. I like how the MVP has been the "best player in the best team award" ... except when the best team is the Spurs.
    Do you mean since they're in the West they play against much better competition? Because Miami oddly enough does better against Western Conference opponents than eastern. They're 16-5 versus the west.

Meanwhile OKC is 12-6 against eastern conference teams.

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteBaskets
    Do you mean since they're in the West they play against much better competition? Because Miami oddly enough does better against Western Conference opponents than eastern. They're 16-5 versus the west.

Meanwhile OKC is 12-6 against eastern conference teams.

Quote Originally Posted by tmacattack33
    what's so damn funny?
    Miami indeed play much better against west coast teams than eastern opponents...I believe it has something to do with East being much more physical and defensively oriented conference, where coasting and taking games off often bites super teams in the ass

Paul is making his case without even playing

The Holy Trinity

It's got to be KD at this point. LeBron is a better player and probably always will be. But, the "rules" have always been the same. Best MVP level player on the better team. Right now, that's KD. If you change the rules for James, you might as well rename the league after him. Because in order for history not to be distorted, you then have to go back and reassign every MVP in the 90s to Jordan (in years that he played).

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by jrong
    It's got to be KD at this point. LeBron is a better player and probably always will be. But, the "rules" have always been the same. Best MVP level player on the better team. Right now, that's KD. If you change the rules for James, you might as well rename the league after him. Because in order for history not to be distorted, you then have to go back and reassign every MVP in the 90s to Jordan (in years that he played).
    I agree, it's probably KD to this point, but...

First of all, LeBron is on track for 58+ wins. Since when has that not been enough to win MVP, even if Durant wins a couple more than him?

Also, acting like the MVP has some cut and dry precedent is ridiculous. The furthest precedent goes is which story the media decides to pick up and run with that season - unless someone is the clear cut favorite of course, which is not the case here.

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by madmax
    what's so damn funny?
    Miami indeed play much better against west coast teams than eastern opponents...I believe it has something to do with East being much more physical and defensively oriented conference, where coasting and taking games off often bites super teams in the ass
    I know.

I was laughing because the guy I quoted totally disproved everything that the guy he quoted said.

This "rule" has not always been the same. You do not always need to be on the best team, record wise, to win MVP. Moses Malone won it in 82' with a team than only won 46 games, MJ won it in 88' with his team only winning 50 games and finishing second his own division, Magic won it 89' when Isiah's Pistons won 6 more games, in 91' MJ won it when Portland had a better record, in 97' Malone won it when the Bulls won more games and MJ won the scoring title.

Also, in 2001 Iverson won it when the Spurs had the better record, in 2002 Duncan won it when the Kings had a better record, in 2004 KG won it when the Pacers had a better record, Nash won it in 2006 when his team only won 54 games and had 9 less wins than the spurs. In 2008 the award went to Kobe when the Celtics had 9 more wins and had Garnett playing at an extremely high level. Even last year the Bulls, Thunder, and Spurs had a better record than the Heat.

This so called "rule" does not always apply and it didn't even apply last season. James is at least as good as he was last season and his team has the best record in his conference (something that they didn't have last season). An MVP does not have to be on the best team, record wise, that's ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Graviton
    And Iverson was not better than Shaq, Kobe, Duncan. CP3 has a chance still, just a very small one.
    they were all on the same tier.

Quote Originally Posted by Nero Tulip
    It should be Durant. OKC is doing better, against much better competition. Miami has actually been a bit disappointing, though I'm sure the playoffs will be a different story.

I hope Parker gets some votes. I like how the MVP has been the "best player in the best team award" ... except when the best team is the Spurs.

The Spurs have had the best record twice in the last 10 years. Last year, when no one considered Parker and in 02/03, when Duncan won a second in a row. So I don't know what you're talking about.

Going further...Lebron, Rose, Rose. Prior to that Nash in 04/05. 5 of the last 9, so it's hardly the rule. And the Spurs are 1-1 when they had the best, these last 11 seasons.
    Last edited by Whoah10115; 02-07-2013 at 10:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by selrahc
    what about kobe?
    23-26

Quote Originally Posted by Just2McFly
    they were all on the same tier.
    Be honest, Iverson wasn't.

Lebron will get it, he is playing at a level we've not seen many player come close to. Giving it to KD because his team has a few more wins won't cut it. The NBA will never let Lebron's special season go without awarding it with MVP.

Quote Originally Posted by Nash
    Lebron will get it, he is playing at a level we've not seen many player come close to. Giving it to KD because his team has a few more wins won't cut it. The NBA will never let Lebron's special season go without awarding it with MVP.

What's so special about this season? His defense has not been great from beginning to end. If people judged fairly, he wouldn't make the All-Defensive Team this year (unless he continues on the upward trajectory). He's not been one of the 4 best defensive forwards so far this season. His rebounding has been impressive, and so has his efficiency. Despite his assists, his team play hasn't been as great this year and his scoring is still a little down. He was playing better his first season in Miami and didn't win. This is his least impressive season since 2007/08.

Samurai Swoosh

Voter fatigue aside, MJ was the real MVP in '89, '90, '91, '92, '93, '96, '97, and '98 ... that's an 8x MVP.

Only season I felt LeBron wasn't clearly MVP since 2009 (reg season murky with Wade, outplayed Kobe in post season) was 2011 due to Wade's play, similar stats, and the fact they played together.

Legit MVP of the regular season for 2009, 2010, 2012, and 2013.

I think Bron is the best player in the league, and the actual MVP, but I doubt he wins it this year due to whatever reason the league voters think up. It will probably go to Durant or Paul.