Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2018, 03:32 AM   #2356
$LakerGold
Home of the 16
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: ☆Home of the 16☆
Posts: 7,323
Default Re: ☆ NBA General Discussions | FA/Trade Ideas

Anyone else scratching their head over the fact that they decided to give KCP 12m instead of Brook? I'm sure there are other players in the league that you can get for 3m for the same amount of production as KCP. His hero ball tendencies is what drove everyone nuts last season - I'm just glad LeGM's here.
$LakerGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 03:26 PM   #2357
bladefd
NBA rookie of the year
 
bladefd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 6,318
Default Re: ☆ NBA General Discussions | FA/Trade Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by $LakerGold
Anyone else scratching their head over the fact that they decided to give KCP 12m instead of Brook? I'm sure there are other players in the league that you can get for 3m for the same amount of production as KCP. His hero ball tendencies is what drove everyone nuts last season - I'm just glad LeGM's here.

No, I have no issue with bringing KCP back over Lopez. I've a huge problem with bringing in Rondo/Stephenson/McGee in and overlooking Lopez. Lopez should have been signed before Stephenson/Rondo. TBH, I see zero need for Stephenson or Rondo with the team we have, especially not Stephenson.

What was Magic thinking paying $1.5 million MORE for Stephenson than what Lopez got paid by Milwaukee? Completely inexcusable.
bladefd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:28 PM   #2358
dd24
NBA lottery pick
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,615
Default Re: ☆ NBA General Discussions | FA/Trade Ideas

I'm baffled by them not bringing back Lopez too. I think it's pretty obvious at this point they plan on not playing with a true C for long stretches this season. They also must think Wagner can contribute right away.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:19 PM   #2359
tamaraw08
College star
 
tamaraw08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,955
Default Re: ☆ NBA General Discussions | FA/Trade Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladefd
No, I have no issue with bringing KCP back over Lopez. I've a huge problem with bringing in Rondo/Stephenson/McGee in and overlooking Lopez. Lopez should have been signed before Stephenson/Rondo. TBH, I see zero need for Stephenson or Rondo with the team we have, especially not Stephenson.

What was Magic thinking paying $1.5 million MORE for Stephenson than what Lopez got paid by Milwaukee? Completely inexcusable.

Are you talking about Brook Lopez who went to Stanford and hardly became a problem in the locker room in his entire career?
The same guy who was top 5 in contested 2's just last season?
https://stats.nba.com/players/hustle/?Season=2017-18&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&dir=1&sort=CONTESTE D_SHOTS_2PT
The same guy who was top 15 in the ENTIRE league for blocked shots, 11th among centers?
http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/p...sort/avgBlocks
Apparently he is not "crazy" enough like Lance or had a DUI record or who had a run in with other players like Rondo?
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:21 PM   #2360
tamaraw08
College star
 
tamaraw08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,955
Default Re: ☆ NBA General Discussions | FA/Trade Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
I'm baffled by them not bringing back Lopez too. I think it's pretty obvious at this point they plan on not playing with a true C for long stretches this season. They also must think Wagner can contribute right away.

Ok then Randle is not a true center who was the most consistent Laker last year. The guy pushed himself and was able to switch to smaller players etc.
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:46 AM   #2361
LA Lakers
I rule the local playground
 
LA Lakers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Strong Beach, Ca.
Posts: 568
Default Re: ☆ NBA General Discussions | FA/Trade Ideas

Lopez would have been a perfect fit on a Lebron team. Plays great in the half court. 7 feet tall and can space the floor. Lights out from the 3 point line. Iím really surprised we didnít hang onto Lopez after landing Lebron. Julius Randle was my Lakers MVP last season. I see him as the evolution of Rambis and AC Green. Maybe even a poor mans Worthy? Once he develops a jump shot heíll be unstoppable.
LA Lakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:52 AM   #2362
LA Lakers
I rule the local playground
 
LA Lakers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Strong Beach, Ca.
Posts: 568
Default Re: ☆ NBA General Discussions | FA/Trade Ideas

I liked KCP. I thought our best lineup last year was when Luke went ultra small ball in crunch time with Lonzo, KCP, Ingram, Kuzma and Randle. That lineup was great and gave opponents hell. Replace Randle with Lebron and that lineup might be unstoppable. Giving KCP $12 mil is being very generous but he was a part of our best lineup on the floor last season and he was pretty much suspended and could only play home games due to a DUI. So he didn’t get to prove himself on the road. the DUI speaks negatively to his character not as a player.
LA Lakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 05:10 PM   #2363
bladefd
NBA rookie of the year
 
bladefd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 6,318
Default Re: ☆ NBA General Discussions | FA/Trade Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Lakers
I liked KCP. I thought our best lineup last year was when Luke went ultra small ball in crunch time with Lonzo, KCP, Ingram, Kuzma and Randle. That lineup was great and gave opponents hell. Replace Randle with Lebron and that lineup might be unstoppable. Giving KCP $12 mil is being very generous but he was a part of our best lineup on the floor last season and he was pretty much suspended and could only play home games due to a DUI. So he didn’t get to prove himself on the road. the DUI speaks negatively to his character not as a player.

That lineup was very good and lots of fun to watch with few holes (namely Lonzo's shooting and streaky play from Ingram). With LeBron replacing Randle, it becomes even deadlier & tougher to stop. They can truly spread the floor, playmake, post up, speed it up/slow it down, do some situational iso plays, drive into paint.

I really hope Lonzo works hard on his shot. So much of Lonzo's evolution as an individual and contribution to team is predicated on improving that shot. He does everything else so well that if he simply improves that shot, he will be marvelous to watch. I don't expect him to become Curry but I would say he has to bring his overall fg% from 36 into 40s, 3pt% from 30 to mid-30s and freethrow shooting close to 60% from staggering 45%. He also needs to shoot less 3s and improve his driving into paint..

I guess there is always Rondo you can stick into Lonzo's slot, but I do want Lonzo to get that spot in crunch minutes. Rondo won't be here next year probably - it's just a 1yr steppingstone for him before he lands his final long-term deal of career.

Last edited by bladefd : 07-24-2018 at 05:25 PM.
bladefd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:42 PM   #2364
LA Lakers
I rule the local playground
 
LA Lakers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Strong Beach, Ca.
Posts: 568
Default Re: ☆ NBA General Discussions | FA/Trade Ideas

I agree. His shooting is ugly. He shot something like 42% from the free throw line!! As a guard, to shoot worse than Shaq at the line is inexcusable. It’s gotta be mental. Problem is Rondo has never had a shooters touch, either. Lonzo shot was falling in college. Obviously he’s been given the green light to shoot by Walton and by opposing teams defenses. But he’s terrible. Even a slight improvement this summer would be encouraging. Lonzo is one of the worst nba shooters I’ve ever seen. He seemed more effective when hed drive to the basket trying to draw fouls but he can’t hit free throws so I don’t know... I’d like to see a bit more aggressiveness in that aspect, other than his terrible shooting he has an all around game and seems to have a sound mind in spite of his clown father
LA Lakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:10 AM   #2365
tamaraw08
College star
 
tamaraw08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,955
Default Re: ☆ NBA General Discussions | FA/Trade Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladefd
That lineup was very good and lots of fun to watch with few holes (namely Lonzo's shooting and streaky play from Ingram). With LeBron replacing Randle, it becomes even deadlier & tougher to stop. They can truly spread the floor, playmake, post up, speed it up/slow it down, do some situational iso plays, drive into paint.

I really hope Lonzo works hard on his shot. So much of Lonzo's evolution as an individual and contribution to team is predicated on improving that shot. He does everything else so well that if he simply improves that shot, he will be marvelous to watch. I don't expect him to become Curry but I would say he has to bring his overall fg% from 36 into 40s, 3pt% from 30 to mid-30s and freethrow shooting close to 60% from staggering 45%. He also needs to shoot less 3s and improve his driving into paint..

I guess there is always Rondo you can stick into Lonzo's slot, but I do want Lonzo to get that spot in crunch minutes. Rondo won't be here next year probably - it's just a 1yr steppingstone for him before he lands his final long-term deal of career.

I hate it when some people say, "well, if you're open, you have to take that shot" even from Metta World Peace time when he took and missed a bunch of them.
There are other players who are bad 3pt shooters like Tony Allen and yet he found ways not be a liability on offense by cutting hard to his sweet spots, provide screens, position for offensive rebounds etc.
Him not penetrating enough made him much worse on offense too, while I hate losing Randle, I think Rondo' presence will be good and yes I think the Pelicans will miss him.
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 03:29 PM   #2366
LA Lakers
I rule the local playground
 
LA Lakers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Strong Beach, Ca.
Posts: 568
Default Re: ☆ NBA General Discussions | FA/Trade Ideas

To be fair, Ron Artest hit one of the biggest open shots of all time against Boston in a game 7. Generally speaking, taking open shots are what every team ultimately strives for and wants. It’s unselfish play and team building that equals success. Granted there are always exceptions but I feel like we are almost getting to a point where everyone is gonna have to try and avg 40% from beyond the arc. I’m partly joking but partly serious. With all of these different zone defenses and ways less athletic and smaller teams have found to take away dribble-drives you have to be a good outside shooting team. Golden State upped the ante for the league. And then they got Kevin Durant. I really hope Lebron plays almost entirely in the low post next season. That’s where he’s best at this stage in his career. I wanna see him kinda take it easy. The other guys on the roster are gonna have to step up. I’d love to see Luke Walton run some triangle offense. Kuzma would be great in the triangle with Lebron. He’d be knocking down corner threes all day.
LA Lakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 06:32 PM   #2367
tamaraw08
College star
 
tamaraw08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,955
Default Re: ☆ NBA General Discussions | FA/Trade Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Lakers
To be fair, Ron Artest hit one of the biggest open shots of all time against Boston in a game 7. Generally speaking, taking open shots are what every team ultimately strives for and wants. It’s unselfish play and team building that equals success. Granted there are always exceptions but I feel like we are almost getting to a point where everyone is gonna have to try and avg 40% from beyond the arc. I’m partly joking but partly serious. With all of these different zone defenses and ways less athletic and smaller teams have found to take away dribble-drives you have to be a good outside shooting team. Golden State upped the ante for the league. And then they got Kevin Durant. I really hope Lebron plays almost entirely in the low post next season. That’s where he’s best at this stage in his career. I wanna see him kinda take it easy. The other guys on the roster are gonna have to step up. I’d love to see Luke Walton run some triangle offense. Kuzma would be great in the triangle with Lebron. He’d be knocking down corner threes all day.

Metta missed 11 of 18 shots in game 7(shot 28.6%)! yes, making that 3 late was crucial but maybe if he and Kobe didn't bricked so many shots, they woudn't need that one particular shot to go in, in the first place.
Stu Lantz would always say, "Let success be your guide" as in if you brick 5 straight shots from beyond 24 feet, maybe, you can do something else like cut hard, provide picks, position for offensive rebounds etc, instead of continue to miss more. Yes, there are legit shooters who will eventually make them but there are other players who have very poor form in the first place.
To a point I understand what you are saying. I am hoping and praying that they are REALLY working very hard right now on their perimeter shots. Lance Stephenson had a recent video putting some work on open 3's.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndowqNc_w3o
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:


Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:08 PM.






NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:

NBA Basketball

NBA Rumors

Basketball Blog

NBA Videos

NBA Free Agents

NBA Free Agency

NBA Summer Leagues

Utah Summer League

Sacramento Summer League

Vegas NBA Summer League

Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
YouTube
















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy