Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops



Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2009, 05:53 PM   #76
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias
 
RedBlackAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The "Q"
Posts: 27,840
Default Re: Official Superbowl XLIII thread!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glove_20


And were the Patriots as good as they were in the regular season in the playoffs? NO. Close? No not even close. I guess you could say same about Bear's defense in the playoffs. They weren't close either. So if you are going to discredit the Bears, you'd have to discredit the NE offense. Yes they got to the SuperBowl, but their offense wasn't nearly as effective as it was in the regular season.

And if the Cardinal offense dominates the Steeler defense, then they performed at a much much higher level than the NE offense who couldn't do their thing against just a good defense. So that would work in the Cardinal favor.



The bottomline is this, you can't discredit a team's offense/defense based on the playoffs. And it's not like the Steeler defense is shutting out teams so far in the playoffs, Chargers did decent and Ravens never had a strong offense.
The Chargers had the best offense in the NFL this year.

I'm not going to continue this pointless argument. NO ONE is putting the 2005 Bears defense on par with this Steelers defense. They are not brought up in any discussion when talking about historic defenses. History will judge how a team is remembered, not necessarily you or I.

You can make all of the arguments that you want to the contrary, but this Steelers defense is being compared to the best to play the game and, if they win, it will go down as one of the great defenses of the modern era.

You can b!tch and moan about it, but that is a fact.

How does a f#cking Browns fan wind up sticking up for the goddamned Squealers?
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 05:56 PM   #77
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias
 
RedBlackAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The "Q"
Posts: 27,840
Default Re: Official Superbowl XLIII thread!!!!!

Btw, do you really think that the 1985 Bears would be remembered as maybe the greatest defense ever if they had gotten absolutely embarrassed in the Divisional round of the playoffs? The reason why they are remembered so fondly was their absolute dominance in the playoffs.

The same goes for the 2000 Ravens.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:02 PM   #78
Glove_20
The Expert
 
Glove_20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,334
Default Re: Official Superbowl XLIII thread!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
The Chargers had the best offense in the NFL this year.

I'm not going to continue this pointless argument. NO ONE is putting the 2005 Bears defense on par with this Steelers defense. They are not brought up in any discussion when talking about historic defenses. History will judge how a team is remembered, not necessarily you or I.

You can make all of the arguments that you want to the contrary, but this Steelers defense is being compared to the best to play the game and, if they win, it will go down as one of the great defenses of the modern era.

You can b!tch and moan about it, but that is a fact.

How does a f#cking Browns fan wind up sticking up for the goddamned Squealers?

No one is putting the 2005 bears defense on par with the Steelers?
Ok if you say so. I haven't heard anyone say anything contrary to the Bears being better/equal to the Steelers Defense.

And I'm the one who actually likes the Steelers and have predicted them to win every game they have played thus far.

And the Steelers are now, when the Bears were playing their defense, they were getting compared to the 1980 Bear defense. So it's really a matter of what point of time you are, obviously since the Steelers are playing right now they are going to be overrated.









And you know what I'm not going to continue this argument further either. Because I don't like arguing with guys who change their opinion on the argument. I know for a fact you said at first that "It's the best defnese I've ever seen"

And now "Except the 2000 Ravens"


Please, that's what I call a waste of time. Not to mention you said the others "dont even come close". That just shows how ignorant you are.
Not even I am going to make a strong statement like that.
Glove_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:02 PM   #79
Glove_20
The Expert
 
Glove_20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,334
Default Re: Official Superbowl XLIII thread!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
Btw, do you really think that the 1985 Bears would be remembered as maybe the greatest defense ever if they had gotten absolutely embarrassed in the Divisional round of the playoffs? The reason why they are remembered so fondly was their absolute dominance in the playoffs.

The same goes for the 2000 Ravens.
And the 2005 Bears were being compared to the 85 Bears during that time.
Glove_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:07 PM   #80
Yung D-Will
Utah Jazz (6-6)
 
Yung D-Will's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Jerry Sloan's Doghouse
Posts: 11,485
Default Re: Official Superbowl XLIII thread!!!!!

Us Steelers fans have had a long season after Ben got hurt I thought it was all over but we came back strong. We've worked to hard to go home and not bring our sixth ring.

GO STEELERS
Yung D-Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:09 PM   #81
Maniak
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 22,498
Default Re: Official Superbowl XLIII thread!!!!!

Go Cards!
Maniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:09 PM   #82
Yung D-Will
Utah Jazz (6-6)
 
Yung D-Will's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Jerry Sloan's Doghouse
Posts: 11,485
Default Re: Official Superbowl XLIII thread!!!!!

We're here out of pure hard work and we can't go home \

GO STEELERSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Yung D-Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:15 PM   #83
catzhernandez
F*ck off, Randy
 
catzhernandez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Area 31
Posts: 16,127
Default Re: Official Superbowl XLIII thread!!!!!















catzhernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:15 PM   #84
Q.E.C
нυєy
 
Q.E.C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Houston,Tx
Posts: 2,193
Default Re: Official Superbowl XLIII thread!!!!!

Well this is my B-day and I'm hoping the Cardinals are gonna win even though I think the Steelers are going too.
Q.E.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:16 PM   #85
big baller
(-_-)(X_X)BB(9_9)(^_^)
 
big baller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 4,245
Default Re: Official Superbowl XLIII thread!!!!!



Glove always gettin into fight, lmao

^ Happy B-day!
big baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:16 PM   #86
AirGauge23
Sound the Charge
 
AirGauge23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Border
Posts: 3,898
Default Re: Official Superbowl XLIII thread!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by catzhernandez

I want one of those.
AirGauge23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:16 PM   #87
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias
 
RedBlackAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The "Q"
Posts: 27,840
Default Re: Official Superbowl XLIII thread!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glove_20
No one is putting the 2005 bears defense on par with the Steelers?
Ok if you say so. I haven't heard anyone say anything contrary to the Bears being better/equal to the Steelers Defense.

And I'm the one who actually likes the Steelers and have predicted them to win every game they have played thus far.

And the Steelers are now, when the Bears were playing their defense, they were getting compared to the 1980 Bear defense. So it's really a matter of what point of time you are, obviously since the Steelers are playing right now they are going to be overrated.









And you know what I'm not going to continue this argument further either. Because I don't like arguing with guys who change their opinion on the argument. I know for a fact you said at first that "It's the best defnese I've ever seen"

And now "Except the 2000 Ravens"


Please, that's what I call a waste of time. Not to mention you said the others "dont even come close". That just shows how ignorant you are.
Not even I am going to make a strong statement like that.
I'll tell you exactly what I said...

Last week -during the Ravens game- I said that this may be the best defense I have ever seen and that they are right there with the 2000 Ravens. I haven't changed my argument one iota.

I call them like I see them. The 2005 Bears had a great defensive line and great linebackers. Their secondary was their weakness and it was exposed in the playoffs by Steve Smith, who ran circles around them.

You will not see that happening to this Steelers defense. They are completely solid in all facets.

No one has compared the 2005 Bears to the 2008-09 Steelers because it is a stupid comparison. You are the only person I have seen make the comparison.... and what is this about the 1980 Bears defense? I don't even think you know what you are talking about.

Quote:
And yet, about the midpoint of the 2008 regular season, Steelers fans signaled a subtle shift in perception. It was about then that the defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau, a student of the game for 50 years, did a statistical analysis and noted an odd convergence of numbers. His defense was ranked in the top three in the league in nearly every major category — rushing yards allowed, passing yards allowed and points allowed — and in even more obscure ones like first downs allowed, yards per play, third-down conversions allowed and red zone defense. LeBeau said he thought he was reading the figures incorrectly because he had never seen a team so close to the top in so many categories. A hopeful sign appeared at Heinz Field: Steel Curtain II.

“I don’t like to compare them,” defensive lineman Aaron Smith said. “What they did is legendary. We’re just trying to make a legend.”

The Steel Curtain teams of the ’70s played a 4-3; the current version is largely a 3-4. But for those who have seen both defenses, the similarities are striking. Both were built around great linebackers — Ham and Jack Lambert with the Steel Curtain; James Harrison and James Farrior today. Both smothered the run. Both hammered the quarterback. Both could carry a team.

The best version of the Steel Curtain emerged in 1976. That defense had five shutouts, a virtual necessity because quarterback Terry Bradshaw was hurt and started just eight games. During the final nine regular-season games, the defense played what might have been the most dominating stretch in history, giving up just 28 points. It allowed an average of 9.9 points a game over all and led the league in scoring defense and total defense (yards allowed).

The 2008 defense also ranked first in scoring and total defense during the regular season, as well as in several other categories. It came within a few dozen yards of being the first defense since the 1970 N.F.L.-A.F.L. merger to allow the fewest yards, the fewest rushing yards, the fewest passing yards and the fewest points. In the most offense-filled season since 1965 — teams averaged 22 points a game this season; in 1976, it was 19.2 — the Steelers allowed just 13.9 points a game. They also did not allow a rusher to go over 100 yards or a quarterback to throw for more than 300 yards. And that was playing the hardest schedule in the N.F.L.

“This defense versus that defense, this defense has performed better because it is much harder to perform well,” said Gil Brandt, who was a personnel executive with the Dallas Cowboys when they were regular opponents of the Steel Curtain teams. “Today’s rules make it so much harder to play defense than ever before. When the Steel Curtain was playing, you could engage the receivers all the way down the field as long as they were in front of you. Now it’s 5 yards and out.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/01/sp...1&ref=football
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:18 PM   #88
Showtime
Hardwood Hero
 
Showtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,924
Default Re: Official Superbowl XLIII thread!!!!!

I hate what this game has become. It's got virtually nothing to do with the game itself. It's all about the entire spectacle and making money. It's like what Christmas has become where it has nothing to do with Christ.
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:21 PM   #89
lilojmayo
TP23
 
lilojmayo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,457
Default Re: Official Superbowl XLIII thread!!!!!

GO ARIZONA

FITZGERALD end thread.
lilojmayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:22 PM   #90
Maniak
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 22,498
Default Re: Official Superbowl XLIII thread!!!!!

Glove needs some friends...
Maniak is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:




Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:41 AM.






NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:

InsideHoops.com Home

NBA Rumors

NBA Daily Roundup

NBA Scores

NBA Stats

NBA Videos

NBA Free Agents

Fantasy Basketball

Basketball Sneakers

Search Site

STAY CONNECTED
Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
YouTube










Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy