Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-15-2019, 04:01 AM   #46
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: Team USA Basketball exhibition games start soon

The first thing Kemba Walker and Marcus Smart noticed with De’Aaron Fox was the Sacramento Kings point guard’s Mach speed. “He makes fast people look not fast,” Smart said, practically shaking his head. – via ESPN

Fox has some news for his impressed teammates. “I think I probably have gotten faster,” said the point guard who’s entering his third NBA season. – via ESPN
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 04:27 PM   #47
Xiao Yao You

So for Pop-watchers of a certain age, it’s hard to resist rewinding to the height of his reverence for the Jazz every time Popovich huddles with the budding Utah star Donovan Mitchell these days — a frequent occurrence on the U.S.A. Basketball practice floor. A picture of coach and player after a recent intrasquad scrimmage in Las Vegas, side by side and backs to the camera, slammed home the point: Mitchell has begun a six-week course of higher learning under Popovich. – via New York Times

“I hope so,” Jazz Coach Quin Snyder said in a telephone interview. “Both Donovan and I have been excited for this opportunity, not just the chance to compete for his country but to play for Pop. I think he has an appreciation for the fact that he’s playing for the greatest coach that’s ever coached.” – via New York Times

Popovich still isn’t sure what he has roster-wise, but he can point to at least one luxury as he finally settles into his dream job as Mike Krzyzewski’s successor: Mitchell’s rise alongside the All-Star guard Kemba Walker will enable the United States to field an elite starting backcourt at the FIBA World Cup in China from Aug. 31 to Sept. 15. “Just try to throw yourself completely into it,” Snyder said he told Mitchell. “And try to communicate with Coach as much as you can. Be a sponge.” – via New York Times
Old 08-16-2019, 05:12 PM   #48
Xiao Yao You

Shams Charania: Houston’s PJ Tucker is withdrawing from USA Basketball ahead of FIBA World Cup because of an ankle injury, and will prepare for Rockets training camp, sources tell @The Athletic @Stadium. – via Twitter ShamsCharania

Jonathan Feigen: Tucker is diagnosed as having “a minor left ankle sprain” and will return to Houston for treatment. – via Twitter Jonathan_Feigen

Mark Berman: PJ Tucker on decision to not play for USA Basketball in FIBA World Cup b/c of ankle injury:”I twisted it n a game last Friday &again n practice yesterday & I know they’re about to go to Australia..I didn’t want to be hobbling & then come back (injured)in camp. It just made sense” – via Twitter MarkBermanFox26
Old 08-16-2019, 05:15 PM   #49
Xiao Yao You

Hopefully the Matador Bricky on Mitchell tonite
Old 08-17-2019, 06:11 AM   #50
Xiao Yao You

In a year in which his more heralded teammates LeBron James and Anthony Davis have bowed out of international duty, Kuzma has a golden opportunity to represent the Lakers on Team USA. Asked if he’s done enough to make the final roster, Kuzma said yes. “I’m not one to really grade my performances, but I think my energy was at a high level,” he said. “That’s the only thing I can really control.” – via Orange County Register

While Kuzma’s odds are as good as ever – the national team needs to make only two cuts to reach the 12-man group they’ll take to the FIBA World Cup in China – much of the buzz from a week of camp in L.A. indicates that he’s still squarely on the bubble. Kuzma made some strides to help himself Friday night, in the USA’s 90-81 exhibition win over Spain, a slightly past-its-prime basketball power. But still sharing a court with NBA stalwarts such as Ricky Rubio and Marc Gasol, Kuzma held his own with seven points, five rebounds and three assists – potentially helping make his case that he belongs in red, white and blue next month on the international stage. – via Orange County Register

Ohm Youngmisuk, ESPN Staff Writer: Team USA is expected to take all 14 players on the roster currently — PJ Tucker withdrew today with a minor left ankle sprain — to Australia and make cuts later. – via ESPN

Jason Anderson: USA Basketball tells me all 14 players on the current roster will accompany the team to Australia for upcoming exhibition games. The journey continues for Harrison Barnes and De’Aaron Fox of the Sacramento Kings. – via Twitter JandersonSacBee

Donovan Mitchell scored 13 points, Khris Middleton added 12 and the U.S. topped Spain 90-81 on Friday night in a warmup exhibition in advance of the FIBA World Cup that starts in China on Aug. 31. The Americans shot 55 percent from the field, 58 percent from 3-point range and held a commanding 42-20 edge in rebounds. “It was a good chance to jump in the fray and see what this is all about,” U.S. coach Gregg Popovich said after his official debut as Mike Krzyzewski’s replacement with the national team. “It was like a baptism for us. New group, players, coaches, all that sort of thing. It was a real experience.” – via USA Today Sports
Old 08-17-2019, 02:05 PM   #51
Xiao Yao You

Quote:
Chris Haynes: Sacramento Kings guard De’Aaron Fox will withdraw from Team USA to focus on upcoming season with goal of making playoffs, league sources tell Yahoo Sports. – via Twitter ChrisBHaynes

Down to 12 healthy players. Smart is supposed to play in Australia though
Old 08-17-2019, 04:58 PM   #52
Xiao Yao You

Marc Stein: As they prepare to leave the country today, Team USA gets one roster boost to counter the unexpected departure of De’Aaron Fox: Marcus Smart, I’m told, has been cleared to make a full return to the court from the calf injury that has sidelined him for the past week-plus – via Twitter TheSteinLine

The USA Basketball Men’s World Cup Team departs for Australia today to continue training with 13 players still in the mix for the final 12-man roster. Prior to departure, De’Aaron Fox (Sacramento Kings) withdrew from consideration for the team. – via NBA.com

The USA World Cup finalists roster currently includes 13 players — Harrison Barnes (Sacramento Kings); Jaylen Brown (Boston Celtics); Joe Harris (Brooklyn Nets); Kyle Kuzma (Los Angeles Lakers); Brook Lopez (Milwaukee Bucks); Khris Middleton (Milwaukee Bucks); Donovan Mitchell (Utah Jazz); Mason Plumlee (Denver Nuggets), Marcus Smart (Boston Celtics); Jayson Tatum (Boston Celtics); Myles Turner (Indiana Pacers); Kemba Walker (Boston Celtics); and Derrick White (San Antonio Spurs). – via NBA.com
Old 08-17-2019, 09:01 PM   #53
elementally morale
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH
This is going to be the most trash Team USA since 2002

You guys have a 16 year period. Watch the Olympics you've lost... 1972-88-04... and the next ones. Which was the last time you won? You lost?

Yeah', it's coming.
elementally morale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 09:11 PM   #54
Manny98
NBA All-star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
The USA World Cup finalists roster currently includes - Joe Harris (Brooklyn Nets)
Manny98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 09:37 PM   #55
fsvr54
Bitch Hands

Kuzma should get cut, he's not good.
fsvr54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 05:43 PM   #56
DoctorP
active baller

The USA team looks like it is coming together. Spain looked rusty but the USA was in total control. Losing Fox is gonna hurt their depth.

A good coaching job by Pop so far but it's early.
DoctorP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 05:51 PM   #57
Xiao Yao You

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorP
The USA team looks like it is coming together. Spain looked rusty but the USA was in total control. Losing Fox is gonna hurt their depth.

A good coaching job by Pop so far but it's early.

Fox didn't play much against Spain
Old 08-18-2019, 06:50 PM   #58
DoctorP
active baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
Fox didn't play much against Spain

yeah but he was a +10 in efficiency in garbage time.
DoctorP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 02:16 AM   #59
Xiao Yao You

U.S.A. Basketball officials were stunned Saturday morning to learn that De’Aaron Fox of the Sacramento Kings had chosen to remove his name from consideration for the final 12-man roster mere hours before the team’s flight to Australia for three more exhibition games and a handful of practices. – via New York Times

“I’m sure that it’s going to fuel them,” Gasol said of the loud skepticism increasingly endured by the American team. “The amount of talent that the U.S. generates every year is unbelievable,’’ he added. “Even with all the guys that dropped out — or if you want to say these guys don’t have experience internationally — they’re still super talented physically and technically. And they’re pretty well-coached as well. So you put it all together and it’s a great team.” – via New York Times
Old 08-21-2019, 12:41 PM   #60
Xiao Yao You

Celtics guard Kemba Walker, who is the only All-NBA player on Team USA, added: “We are embracing it as much as we can. It’s adding fuel to the fire. A lot of us, it’s where we come from. We come from being underdogs, most of us. “We’re hungry.” – via The Undefeated

Sacramento Kings forward Harrison Barnes, the only member of the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Games gold-medal squad who is currently on Team USA’s roster, was excited about the opportunity. “For me, I make the commitment anytime USA Basketball asks,” Barnes told The Undefeated. “As long as my family is good and I am healthy, I will be out here playing as long as they give me the opportunity. … Everyone is different. Some guys are coming off injury. Some guys had commitments. For me, I try to take advantage of it every time I can to play for my country. To be able to suit up with these guys, that has been fun.” – via The Undefeated

“We hear the noise,” Barnes said. “It’s about just us, getting better, continuing to grow closer on and off the floor, and we’ll go from there. … “We’re motivated more than anything to keep the gold standard going, by the teams that went before us that went and won the World Cup, that went and won the Olympics multiple times. That’s what we’re chasing right now.” – via The Undefeated
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: