Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: First Step of Michael Jordan

Double teams never really got there on time because he was too fast for them.

Jumpers appeared to be uncontested because he left his defenders on quick sand.
    Another thing I've noticed is that he was a lot slicker off the ball than most of the other great SGs like Kobe and Wade. His defender was usually on skates whenever he caught the ball, and the defense wasn't settled enough to send a double right away. He was often playing one on one with a one-beat edge.

It wasn't this iso-ball; not nearly as much. MJ was much more likely to catch the ball in scoring position and immediately do something with it than Lebron, Wade, Kobe, T-Mac.

This isn't to say Jordan wouldn't dominate the ball or have his iso moments, or that Kobe's never run off a screen; but overal Jordan did much more to make the game easy for himself (easier than it already was) than his (less-talented) rivals did/do.

Bear Chested Da Brawn STATUTORY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH

Gordon Hayward with his handles, shooting, passing, rebounding, would have been Larry Bird type of player if he played in the 80s. Real talk

Quote Originally Posted by STATUTORY

Gordon Hayward with his handles, shooting, passing, rebounding, would have been Larry Bird type of player if he played in the 80s. Real talk
    Umm, no. What about dat ese Ramel Beck? I seen dude cutting my neighbor's lawn last weekend, 4 years ago breaking Kobe's ankles. Some career.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolBBall
    No version of Lebron would ever get past Jordan on a straight blow-by first step attempt. Like, ever. He may get an angle on him and then body him and bump him off and eventually complete a layup/dunk, but he is never going to just outright beat Jordan with his first step. Jordan had perhaps the quickest defensive feet in history for a guy over 6'4".

Also, lol @ this jackass eliteballer acting as if all the footage is sped up. Funny how only Jordan looks sped up - somehow the other players move normally, at the speed we would expect them to. Then he posts court level footage where so much of the action is obscured by players and where you can't get any real sense of distance covered versus time, separation from defenders etc. Just a true troll.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91Tmg96qq7k&t=7m59s

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    This is MJ in 97 with a screen and similar to the defense Wade dealt with:

http://youtu.be/jYdtk6FURS4?t=39s

It wasn't amazingly fast, but still fast. Now consider his age.

Again, at the 5:48 mark (ankle breaker) that move was lighting fast.

Look at how far the defender ends up http://youtu.be/vIvUmw4I2Bk?t=1m20s

Again, look at the space he's getting http://youtu.be/vIvUmw4I2Bk?t=2m37s the defense is waiting for the drive and they still can't react fast enough.

those are just a few for starters
    This is just the kind of sh!t I'm talking about. Look at that first video...does ANYONE look natural to you? They ALL look like they've been shot out of a cannon, you delinquent twit.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH
    Hell no.

It's like the quickness and explosion of prime Wade. Combined witht he crafty, deceptive, skillful footwork of Kobe.

And of course by footwork of Kobe, I mean the skill set he patterned after MJ. Just using it as an analogy for all the ignorant, young bucks on ISH.

Nice find OP, added to the archive. Thanks.

IMO he had the quickness of Iverson and explosion of Wade. The rest i agree

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    I am not sure if you are serious... even if Jordan manages to hang on he will be way to overpowered by Lebrons size/strength for anything else to matter, hell he wont even need to blow by him, just back him down like a ragdoll.... see Jordan guarding Magic in 91 Finals to understand... Lebron is no Hakeem in the post, but his strength/size/athleticism is just way to much for any SF, especially a god damn 6'5-190 SG.... would be like backing down your little brother....

The outcome of a Lebron vs Jordan 1 on 1 matchup is an impossible tale to foretell, both have advantages.... thats all.... lets not derail the thread to much.
    I did not comment on a 1-on-1 match or the outcome thereof. What I said - and what is most assuredly true - is that Lebron would never (as in, not once) get by Jordan with a first step blow-by unless he engaged in some ballhandling chicanery to get MJ off balance first.

College superstar

I don't need to see the video to know that Jordan had better...

Jumper than Allen
    Handles than someone with amazing handles
    Defense than Bill Russell and Scottie Pippen COMBINED
    First step than Iverson
    Strength than Shaq or Wilt
    3p shot than Bird, Peja, Allen, Miller, Kerr, Paxson...
    FT shooting than Barry and Price
    Dunking than VC
    "Will to win" than Russell
    Skyhook (in his sleep, no less!!!) than Kareem

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolBBall
    I did not comment on a 1-on-1 match or the outcome thereof. What I said - and what is most assuredly true - is that Lebron would never (as in, not once) get by Jordan with a first step blow-by unless he engaged in some ballhandling chicanery to get MJ off balance first.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91Tmg96qq7k&t=7m59s

Great college starter Quickening's Avatar

Came in expecting MJ to be the best at every facet of the game, letf satisfied

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by eliteballer
    Prime defensive Jordan '89-'93. try again.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Young X
    One of my favorites. This tool eliteballer actually had the balls to say that Kobe has moved as fast as this. You will never see Kobe, Wade, Lebron, or anyone over 6'4" go from a standstill to top speed and blow past a defender that quickly. Instant acceleration. And Jordan is 33 years old here.

Look at the first play in this vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsMLK3iABsY

The quickness is insane, but look at the ground he covers in 1 second. The combination of quickness AND length is what separates him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOHWX...utu.be&t=5m22s

One dribble.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Marchesk
    No way Lebron is staying in front of that.
    LeBron was getting burned by Paul George, Lance Stephenson, even scrubs like Tyler Hansbrough and Boris Diaw.

People think he's staying in front of Michael Jordan?