Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
    Dunking on everybody in the park

Default Re: I found where Dirk got his one-leg fadeaway

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    Also untrue... Nor is he the first high profile player to do it.

Wilt Chamberlain made a career doing it, with regularity. So did Gus Johnson.
    Cool. Do you have video evidence of them doing this frequently?

CavaliersFTW never saw Wilt. He's like a mid 20s dork from Cleveland.

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball

i doubt anyone is surprised dirk's move came from the GOAT..

dirk must have rewatched this a million times to perfect it.. credit jordan with dirk's 2011 championship.. 7/7...
    maybe he just tried in practice when he was younger, and it became one of his best weapons?

doubt he "stole" it from MJ.

Dirk aint like us. He didnt spend all his time on a ****ing message board. He was to busy being in the gym

Quote Originally Posted by GreggPopazit
    Cool. Do you have video evidence of them doing this frequently?
    I already posted the links. You can watch both of those videos in entirety start to finish, as it is every single one of their career field goals that exists on film.

You'll notice multiple examples of both of them shooting the one legged fade away, from either block.

It's on you whether or not you choose to watch the film but the evidence is there.

About 28 games worth of baskets from Wilt (2.4% of his career), and about 5 or 6 from Gus Johnson. (less than half a percent of his career)

If those are at all reflective of their career averages, both made a one legged fade away shot once or twice a game - and probably attempted them 2-4 times a game.

does people really give a shit about who did it first? Dirk is the best at it, thats all that matter IMO

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH
    CavaliersFTW never saw Wilt. He's like a mid 20s dork from Cleveland.
    You never saw MJ's dick, yet you were the first poster in the MJ's dick size thread to defend it.

I'd rather discuss Wilt's basketball abilities based on collecting about 2.4% of his career on film than attempt to discuss MJ's dick based on... well, what exactly was that based on Swish?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

It's just an ordinary jump stop.

it's not AT ALL an ordinary jumpstop - MJ sneaks an extra step in there right before the jumpstop - the extra step allows him to take 1 fewer dribbles, which is a big deal.. the missing dribble is why the move might be a travel.

so thanks for posting all the old footage, but you don't know what you're talking about here.. your eye isn't trained to differentiate these kinds of things.

again, anyone can do an ordinary jumpstop - infact, i can dunk off an ordinary jumpstop.. but i can barely get off the ground when i try to sneak that extra step in there first.. it's VERY hard to do (just mimicking the exact footwork is really hard) and the move requires crazy athleticism that almost no one has.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

btw, it seems people actually think i'm serious when i said dirk stole the move from jordan.

obviously, he didn't.. it was a joke.. maybe i didn't make it clear enough in the OP that i was making a joke.

7/7?... how could i be for real?.. cmonson

That's great, so long as everybody understands Jordan did not invent nor was he the first to regularly use or take advantage of the move. He's just doing what was taught. I believe there's actually film of MJ talking to Elvin Hayes explaining how he's borrowing Elvin's turnarounds because he noticed Elvin having such success with them. Elvin probably mirrored Wilt. It all goes down the line.
    Thread title is "where Dirk got his one-leg fadeaway" Dirk says he watched Jordan stuff and Jordan was the best.

Case closed

btw, it seems people actually think i'm serious when i said dirk stole the move from jordan.

obviously, he didn't.. it was a joke.. maybe i didn't make it clear enough in the OP that i was making a joke.

Nobody can tell when your posts are serious or not. Most people actually believe you are trolling every single post.

dude, nobody knows when your crazy ass is being serious. Maybe if would help if you talked about more than just MJ?

Banned

You never saw MJ's dick, yet you were the first poster in the MJ's dick size thread to defend it.

I'd rather discuss Wilt's basketball abilities based on collecting about 2.4% of his career on film than attempt to discuss MJ's dick based on... well, what exactly was that based on Swish?

Bird was doing it (regularly) before someone like Jordan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPgQy-_jEI4

Couple of better ones here (Bird's "own" twist to it at 1:53):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtpjCnOoO1Y

And Larry wasn't close to being the 1st doing it, either...

NBA rookie of the year

Not sure anyone did the pirouette fake before Jordan (certainly no one has done it as well as him):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DpPeKSUUsc#t=4m31s

There was an even better one vs. the Hawks in like '96 or '97 but I can't find it.