Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: US military veterans are dying at a rate by suicide 12x that of in the Middle East

They probably know the world is going in the shitter and don't care anymore. Something we fail to realize as sheep.

Local High School Star Joshumitsu's Avatar

Default Re: US military veterans are dying at a rate by suicide 12x that of in the Middle East

Statistically, it's still lower than the national average.

With veterans, I think there is a lot of them coming back and feeling they did nothing the past 4-10 years and thus, have wasted their prime years. Contrary to popular belief and the movies, most of the military is just sitting/cleaning/BSing around rather than performing a job or doing anything majorly important.

In fact, the vast majority of suicides are actually from people who haven't seen combat.

Thus, once they get out, they have:

* Low job opportunities. I hear military resumes get sent to bottom of pile.

* Lack of connection w/ civilians. One side of the political spectrum will victimize them as tools of political greed/baby killers (like that f*ggot above me) and the other side will blindly hero worship them. They don't get treated like normal people.

* Family and friends they used to know have all went their own ways. And I'm sure the veteran has grown in different ways too.

* The lifestyle many became accustomed to in the military is different from civilian life (like in Shawshank Redemption, "institutionalized"). Many end up missing the military lifestyle. However, it is very tough to re-enlist if you're a veteran. The military wants fresh meat.

Thus, it's a very alienating process for veterans.

Local High School Star Joshumitsu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY
    Brainstorm ideas on retaining mortality. Now. SSRI's be damned.

Let's Start With.
    Allocating a substantial portions of resources to build YMCA-esque centers loaded with recreation, gym, and MiB-esque memory destroying devices to preserve the lives of heroes.
    This is a good idea.

With today's veterans, you have a very pro-active Kickstarter type generation.

For example: Veteran Groups like Team Rubicon where guys and gals get together to hang out, help the community, build connections, create businesses, etc

Thus, the treatment requires more programs aimed at the current veteran generation. Gyms, certification classes, community outreach, rehab, faith/spiritual centers should all be applied to the VA's approach.

And, I think not only would this help veterans, but it'd also benefit people with mental health issues because the rest of society can help pool resources and try to find ways of integrating people into a world where they, otherwise, don't feel like they belong.

First Kobe fan on ISH JohnFreeman's Avatar

WW2 vets are the hard cvnts

Quote Originally Posted by ~primetime~
    Is someone close to you (or you) suffering from PTSD?
    You put it as all who go into the military see combat which is not true at all. It depends on the job you pick. If they chose a job they didnt like because they decided to be Rambo or just because their preparation for the entrance exam was non existent it's their problem. I got a nice score and if I get to go to the combat zone the closest I am going to be in the red zone is the medical tent inside the base. Because of the nature of my job there is a low chance to see combat unless the terrorist actually invade the base and everyone is killed.

Good college starter

If I had done the things some of them have done in the name of "freedom", I'd off myself too. There comes a point where the guilt is just too much.

Quote Originally Posted by sweggeh
    If I had done the things some of them have done in the name of "freedom", I'd off myself too. There comes a point where the guilt is just too much.
    Instead you're here posting over 40 times using your alts making tranny threads and other stupid stuff.

I see you LOLCATS

Quote Originally Posted by Joshumitsu
    Statistically, it's still lower than the national average.
    How?

Quote Originally Posted by longhornfan1234
    Obama asking Congress to enter another war.

Thanks, Obama...
    You think the President going to Congress is a bad thing? Considering we've been fighting this war for months?

America is shit and everyone knows it. It's all fake. All of the bullshit advertisement and even our 'war reasons.' Dudes come back as vets and they aren't as celebrated, the ones who are depressed probably end up feeling vaguely used.

It's just wack. Imagine going over to where-ever feeling as though you are going to make a difference and improve the world. Or free some country from the grasp of a dictator. And then you are above-average intelligence and see what's really happening.

Plus yea drugs... I don't think mental illness drugs are helping anyone other than making the more docile.

Sad shit. We need a revolution...!

-Smak

Quote Originally Posted by ILLsmak
    America is shit and everyone knows it. It's all fake. All of the bullshit advertisement and even our 'war reasons.' Dudes come back as vets and they aren't as celebrated, the ones who are depressed probably end up feeling vaguely used.

It's just wack. Imagine going over to where-ever feeling as though you are going to make a difference and improve the world. Or free some country from the grasp of a dictator. And then you are above-average intelligence and see what's really happening.

Plus yea drugs... I don't think mental illness drugs are helping anyone other than making the more docile.

Sad shit. We need a revolution...!

-Smak
    Kind of a rambling post, but this part
    sounds like a glib argument from someone doesn't suffer from mental illness or doesn't know someone who does. Trauma does weird/****ed up things to humans. I'm sure vets who suffer from Post Tramautic Stress Disorder would be quite happy to take a drug that works.

Quote Originally Posted by HitandRun Reggie
    Ahh I see you did your own digging. But another thing to consider is that the military weeds out a lot of applicants who have medical or mental disabilities, so considering that, veteran suicide rates should be MUCH lower than the national average, not almost twice as much.
    I don't think that matters considering the impact that participating in a war will have on your mental stability. Having a suicide rate 2-3x the gen population is not that surprising considering soldiers might have limbs amputated, brain injuries, mental disorders, etc.

Is the rate trending upwards or has this been about the level of the suicide rate for soldiers since they started collecting data?