Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Greatest displays of sportsmanship?

Just saw this: http://youtu.be/6TPjx1DMaEw

and here's another where the #2 runner helps the one who was in the lead cross the finish line after she collapses http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irs9XP2bplE (although if it was me I'd have gotten first place before helping )

Got me thinking, what are the greatest examples of sportsmanship in history?

I rule the local playground tomSR.'s Avatar

Default Re: Greatest displays of sportsmanship?

Quote Originally Posted by oarabbus
    Just saw this: http://youtu.be/6TPjx1DMaEw

and here's another where the #2 runner helps the one who was in the lead cross the finish line after she collapses http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irs9XP2bplE (although if it was me I'd have gotten first place before helping )

Got me thinking, what are the greatest examples of sportsmanship in history?
    uh, that first video............ there were 2 dives where the player admitted it, in the same game ?

First Kobe fan on ISH JohnFreeman's Avatar

Lad

I've never seen 'Fair Play' in crucial moment in a big game.

The video you linked to with Aaron Hunt. His team led 0-2 or 0-3(i think) at the time. Would he have done it if the score was 0-0?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oarabbus
    This one came to mind while reading the title. Help her across, but lean your shoulder in to take first ;)

Quote Originally Posted by tomSR.
    uh, that first video............ there were 2 dives where the player admitted it, in the same game ?
    Neither were dives

The first one the player admitted he was the last to touch the ball before it went out.

The second one the player admitted he went down on his own.

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

So what happened in the soccer video in the OP? Did the ref reverse his call?

I remember when Vince Carter smacked Mo Peterson in the head in a playful manner in a Nets vs Raptors game. And then Mo Pete smacked Carter back. The ref only saw Mo Peterson's smack and thought it was a real fight and then he ejected Mo Peterson. Carter tried to tell the ref that they were just messing around, but the ref still didn't reverse his call.
    Last edited by tmacattack33; 03-10-2014 at 12:31 PM.

Lad

Quote Originally Posted by tmacattack33

I remember when Vince Carter smacked Mo Peterson in the head in a playful manner in a Nets vs Raptors game. And then Mo Pete smacked Carter back. The ref only saw Mo Peterson's smack and thought it was a real fight and then he ejected Mo Peterson. Carter tried to tell the ref that they were just messing around, but the ref still didn't reverse his call.
    Ref did reverse his call.

Quote Originally Posted by tmacattack33

I think that VC/mo Pete sequence went the other way around

Great college starter FatComputerNerd's Avatar

shhhhhhh

Not sure if many of you know him but a bit of ino for this story Alex Zanardi is a former F1 and Indy Car champ who lost both of his legs in a crash...

Alex Zanardi became one of the undisputed stars of the golden summer of sport in Britain with his gold medal-winning performances in the Paralympics.
    It marked the end of an incredible journey for the Italian motor racing driver, who refused to let the loss of both legs in an accident in 2001 end his sporting career.

After proving that he could still compete on the track in specially-adapted cars, he then turned to hand cycling, in which he won gold in both the H4 time trial and road race.
    But his latest act of heroism could be the most inspiring of the lot.

While lining up at the Venice Marathon on Sunday he decided not to try and win the race, but to complete the gruelling 26-mile course alongside 17-year-old quadriplegic Eric Fontanari.
    Eric had been desperate to take part in the marathon despite having only minimal use of his arms, and after an encouraging training run he had high hopes.
    But foul weather conditions almost ended his dream: with high winds and rain lashing the course, he was barely able to continue, and Zanardi began to push him along while still keeping his own hand bike going.

But the trials were only just beginning.
    "It's been a crazy adventure," Zanardi said later.
    "Eric began to suffer from the cold with muscle spasms, and could no longer hold his bike which was veering off to the left. At that point I realised that there was no way we would get to Venice in that condition."

Rather than give up, though, Zanardi had a brainwave.
    "I decided to attach the front of Eric's bike to the back of my bike using a rope I found in a rubbish bin by the side of the course. We took the front wheel of Eric's bike off to link it on to mine, and off we went. We looked like the A-team!"

Zanardi proceeded to propel both himself and Eric along, but still things kept on going wrong: "Under the strain my gears broke, sticking me in a high gear that was almost impossible to keep going.
    "But miraculously I found some tape to fix it up enough to get going again. I couldn't stop, though: Eric was behind me shouting, 'come on, let's get our home-made tractor to the finish line!'"
    Still there were challenges, with the completely unbalanced bike careering across the 13 bridges the duo had to traverse once they arrived in Venice itself.

"The front wheel skidded because all the weight was at the back," Zanardi explained, "but we knew that the goal was close and we couldn't give up.
    "After the last bridge I stopped to wait for the guy who was supposed to be coming back with Eric's front wheel, so we could reattach it and have him push himself over the line.
    "But he never came, so I decided to pull Eric up to a centimetre from the line, then I got out of my hand bike, detached his, and pushed him over because I wanted him to be first to pass the finish line.
    "It's been tough but an incredible feeling. I could not give up because Eric believed we would get there from the first metre to the very last."

Great college starter FatComputerNerd's Avatar

Came across this on Reddit tonight and it reminded me of this thread...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_Z4qd7m1BY

Banned