Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-02-2009, 11:35 AM   #31
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: God and Truth

Quote:
the true essence of God simple is; it doesnt depend on my personal understanding. my personal understanding helps me better comprehend this "isness" of God. that is why the quote looks at superficiality as an obstacle to God/Truth

what do you mean by ambition in your post?

narratives/stories still have a great power in our lives for meaning and purpose-- just think of personal stories, movies, novels. this was part of the social/cultural criticism of the quote.

the collective narratives of religion still have power in many people's lives. the question becomes if the story is authentic or an aberration of the intent and purpose of the real story-- the Truth or a religious/social "idol"

first I should mention that my idea of God is most likely different from yours...

I dont believe in blind faith or grace or any of that stuff... I believe in knowledge

from what I have learned, the bible and the other books and religions are best used to teach humans how to live on a plane similar to the ones who created us....Teach how to build civilizations that last and stand the test of time... Teach humans how to properly interact with one another and contemplate how we can further improve civilization for the benefit of all men..

the stories told and idea of God that is cultivated has its most powerful impact when human beings focus on the message.

the same idea of God has permeated many cultures even before christianity... there was a king of kings & lord of lords before christ.. there was also a lamb of God before christ... the themes used in the christian religion are recurrent themes that originated much earlier in history... the meanings are much more important than the details..

for example... Jesus is sometimes referred to as the 'chief corner stone which the builders refused'.... Now to me, that means alot.... the chief corner stone is a capstone to a pyramid.. the chief corner stone is the most important part of the building.. it is the head... when you set up an organizational hierarchy, it is usually done in the form of a pyramid.... so the idea of jesus is foremost to this hierarchy.... when you put away the other distractions and read keeping history in perspective, you realize that that term jesus has a few different meanings just like the use of the word "lord" as opposed to the word "yahweh" or "God"..... some passages hint towards astrology and others point towards moral and esoteric ideas... even something as simple as night and day have a significant meaning. contrasts between night & day and light vs. dark indicate the difference between knowledge & ignorance to me.... while something like the overall battle between jesus & satan is actually a spin off of horus vs. Set or ultimately the duel of day vs. night and the idea that jesus is actually the akin to the sun or the sun of god.. 'the light of the world'... 'the savior of mankind' which the sun is indeed...

so what Im basically saying is that once you put away the petty religious arguments and read the bible (or any religious book) for the insight it can provide, it will open you up to an infinite realm of wisdom that can be used in your daily life...

as for the term ambition...... the word ambition describes better imo what is supposed to happen... humans are to strive to become godlike.... in that sense it is an ambition
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 12:18 PM   #32
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
first I should mention that my idea of God is most likely different from yours...

I dont believe in blind faith or grace or any of that stuff... I believe in knowledge

from what I have learned, the bible and the other books and religions are best used to teach humans how to live on a plane similar to the ones who created us....Teach how to build civilizations that last and stand the test of time... Teach humans how to properly interact with one another and contemplate how we can further improve civilization for the benefit of all men..

the stories told and idea of God that is cultivated has its most powerful impact when human beings focus on the message.

the same idea of God has permeated many cultures even before christianity... there was a king of kings & lord of lords before christ.. there was also a lamb of God before christ... the themes used in the christian religion are recurrent themes that originated much earlier in history... the meanings are much more important than the details..

for example... Jesus is sometimes referred to as the 'chief corner stone which the builders refused'.... Now to me, that means alot.... the chief corner stone is a capstone to a pyramid.. the chief corner stone is the most important part of the building.. it is the head... when you set up an organizational hierarchy, it is usually done in the form of a pyramid.... so the idea of jesus is foremost to this hierarchy.... when you put away the other distractions and read keeping history in perspective, you realize that that term jesus has a few different meanings just like the use of the word "lord" as opposed to the word "yahweh" or "God"..... some passages hint towards astrology and others point towards moral and esoteric ideas... even something as simple as night and day have a significant meaning. contrasts between night & day and light vs. dark indicate the difference between knowledge & ignorance to me.... while something like the overall battle between jesus & satan is actually a spin off of horus vs. Set or ultimately the duel of day vs. night and the idea that jesus is actually the akin to the sun or the sun of god.. 'the light of the world'... 'the savior of mankind' which the sun is indeed...

so what Im basically saying is that once you put away the petty religious arguments and read the bible (or any religious book) for the insight it can provide, it will open you up to an infinite realm of wisdom that can be used in your daily life...

as for the term ambition...... the word ambition describes better imo what is supposed to happen... humans are to strive to become godlike.... in that sense it is an ambition

actually, i think we are more similar than different; i wouldnt disagree with anything in this post

every human will have different ideas regarding God because of our varying experiences. we are humans, not robots

the knowledge and wisdom that you describe ought to certainly direct us to more noble concerns. you are correct in saying that many get sidetracked by details of little consequence and miss the bigger picture of such things as love, justice, peace

thanks for the clarification on ambition. i thought you were using it in a unique way. it is about who we (can) become

if christians were to become more like christ, this world would indeed be a better place
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:23 AM   #33
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

bump:

Just as we have a superficial, external mask which we put together with words and actions that do not fully represent all that is in us, so even believers deal with a God who is made up of words, feelings, reassuring slogans, and this is less the God of faith than the product of religious and social routines.

Such a "God" can become a substitute for the truth of the invisible God of faith, and though this comforting image may seem real to us, he is really a kind of idol. His chief function is to protect us against a deep encounter with our true inner self and with the true God.
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:47 AM   #34
Doomsday Dallas
Step 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainierBeachPoet

of course, faith is part of this dynamic: we believe in order to understand (we do not understand in order to believe). this is an obstacle for those who demand proof in order to believe

our personal understanding is our part of the equation

I concur.

bump. good thread.
Doomsday Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:50 AM   #35
RoseCity07
NBA Legend

Believing in god is a defense mechanism humans have because they fear death. We're all going to die one day and it's way easier to believe that our existense just goes on forever.

I actually think in a weird way we're all the exact same person. Maybe no one gets that. But when you really think about how more than on consciousness can exist it gets weird. How can there be something experiencing this world that isn't you? It's just bizarre.
RoseCity07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:57 AM   #36
Doomsday Dallas
Step 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~primetime~
many Christians are much more open minded then non-Christians give them credit...

they have a full understanding that the Bible was written by men, they have a full understanding that it has been translated over in different languages 100 times, they are fully aware that it has its flaws, and they are still fully faithful in Christ even though they are aware that Adam and Eve is just a story about temptation and evolution is the reality...

who are you to tell them what they can and can't believe?...

Genesis: Paradise Lost Official Trailer

Old 10-18-2017, 01:51 AM   #37
JEFFERSON MONEY
3-time NBA All-Star

The Quran.
Or any Book on Aqeedah.

Chapter 112
Chapter 2:255-256
Chapter 69
Chapter 1

For starters.

Get busy gentlemen.
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:04 AM   #38
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsday Dallas
I concur.

bump. good thread.

RBP was a great poster.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 12:37 PM   #39
JEFFERSON MONEY
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
RBP was a great poster.

And his post was horrible vague and misleading.

On the outside it looks interesting and deep but considering it leads to falsehoods like pantheism and philosophies without any basis

Those rituals are done TO get closer to God by purifying the soul. Prayer charity and fasting (among many other benefits) remove the excess love of this world from our hearts and help us to seek The Higher Truth.

As for RoseCity.
1) Do you honestly think an innocent child that's been killed has the same eventual fate as a mass murderer? After spending your entire life and witnessing that every single creation has a balance harmony and justice

Do you honestly deny the Resurrection after seeing SPRING come after WINTER every single year and understanding that the One Power bringing dead lifeless earth springs flourishing life can easily do that to us who He created the first time.

2) You claim people invented God as a coping mechanism. Ummm.
Aren't most people going to Hell?
So isn't the person who thinks he'll get to lose consciousness and not exist after doing whatever the heck he wanted in his life the one using the coping mechanism?

The non corrupted Bible Torah and Quran make it clear that God is separate from His creation, is One, completely Unique, and Above the Heavens.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r5fC9QlPCW8
Old 10-18-2017, 12:49 PM   #40
tpols
we already won

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY

On the outside it looks interesting and deep but considering it leads to falsehoods like pantheism and philosophies without any basis

Those rituals are done TO get closer to God by purifying the soul. Prayer charity and fasting (among many other benefits) remove the excess love of this world from our hearts and help us to seek The Higher Truth.

As for RoseCity.
1) Do you honestly think an innocent child that's been killed has the same eventual fate as a mass murderer? After spending your entire life and witnessing that every single creation has a balance harmony and justice

Do you honestly deny the Resurrection after seeing SPRING come after WINTER every single year and understanding that the One Power bringing dead lifeless earth springs flourishing life can easily do that to us who He created the first time.

2) You claim people invented God as a coping mechanism. Ummm.
Aren't most people going to Hell?
So isn't the person who thinks he'll get to lose consciousness and not exist after doing whatever the heck he wanted in his life the one using the coping mechanism?

The non corrupted Bible Torah and Quran make it clear that God is separate from His creation, is One, completely Unique, and Above the Heavens.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r5fC9QlPCW8

There are reasons for everything...most bad people had bad things done to them (growing up), and vice versa for good people. The fact you think everybody starts on an equal plane and will be punished or rewarded based on what happens in their life is pretty crazy. The problem is you dont see the inputs that led to bad outputs. The balance already existed.
tpols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 12:49 PM   #41
JEFFERSON MONEY
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Look604
the proof is in the pudding.

rule # 1 in Baha'i Faith:

Don't follow blindly and investigate the truth.

Same thing Islam teaches.

And that Muhammad is the last Messenger (PBUH)

Torah and Bible both have descriptions of Muhammad (PBUH)
See Deuteronomy 18:18
See aNY Biblical verses on "the comforter" "Paran"
BIBLE also says to warn against false prophets (Joseph Smith, Mirza Ghulam Ahmed)

Quote:
Meaning, don't believe in the faith because you were born into it and

taught at a young age. Read the books and you will know the truth.

we are also encouraged to learn about *most major religions.

People have a lifetime to search for the Truth.

Yet 124,000 Prophets before and after professed the consensus Truth. Bahai is not one of them.

The True Religion is to worship God Alone and submit to His Will.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:55 PM   #42
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY

Who's to say those philosophies have no basis? None of us really knows. If one has faith in anything benevolent I have no problem with it.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 01:18 PM   #43
JEFFERSON MONEY
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
Who's to say those philosophies have no basis? None of us really knows. If one has faith in anything benevolent I have no problem with it.

I don't have a "problem" with it (because there is no compulsion in religion and people are "free" to make their choices") but if people are going into their final deathbed without understanding and actions based on falsehood their chances of salvation are decreased.

I can guarantee you the fate of a person worshipping idols till the end is Hell fire. Forever.

Philosophies that are not rooted in The Word of God/Divine Scriptures and limited human guessing are not going to lead to salvation. With finite time and resources it is a MUCH BETTER investment to read the Book.

RBP is a guy who does not even fulfill the basic obligatory duties to God and is quoting a guy who does not fulfill the basic duties and now he's vaguely insinuating religion being a social idol and implying The Perfect One is within imperfect creation.

Yeah that's astray.

. A Muslim scholar does (hence I would advice ISHErs to read and learn from Shaykh Uthaymern Ibn Taymiyyah etc)

Colossians
2:8
See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the elemental spiritual forces of this world rather than on Christ.

Quran
6:116
And if you obey most of those upon the earth, they will mislead you from the way of Allah. They follow not except assumption, and they are not but falsifying.

Last edited by JEFFERSON MONEY : 10-18-2017 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:18 PM   #44
JBSptfn
Not airballing my layups anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseCity07
Believing in god is a defense mechanism humans have because they fear death. We're all going to die one day and it's way easier to believe that our existense just goes on forever.

I actually think in a weird way we're all the exact same person. Maybe no one gets that. But when you really think about how more than on consciousness can exist it gets weird. How can there be something experiencing this world that isn't you? It's just bizarre.

I see this crap repeated by atheists all the time. Just more proof that atheism isn't the smarter side.
JBSptfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 11:25 AM   #45
Doomsday Dallas
Step 12

California Exodus Soon

Take it for it's worth...

but I had a dream/nightmare last night too.

I really don't like what I saw either.... but the world has cancer.

The World has Cancer... and that's the vision I was given last night.

Luckily I have Political Avenger to explain everything.

^That's what's happening in the spiritual realms.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: