Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Philadelphia 76ers Forum

Philadelphia 76ers Forum Philadelphia 76ers forum - 76ers message board - Sixers fan forum

Old 07-20-2008, 02:06 AM   #1
artificial
:-P

artificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Warriors interested in Lou Williams

From ISH rumors

Quote:
The Warriors, wanting to spare Monta Ellis from inheriting all of Baron Davis' minutes at point guard, are seriously considering signing Philadelphia guard Louis Williams to an offer sheet, ESPN is reporting. It's not yet clear whether Golden State would have enough leftover salary-cap space to extend an offer to Williams sufficiently prohibitive for the 76ers to match. The Warriors are expected to re-sign restricted free agents Ellis and center Andris Biedrins.
source

Damn it, I was thinking he would return for cheap. Hopefully the warriors don't throw him a ridiculous deal as the one Turiaf got.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 11:57 AM   #2
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Warriors interested in Lou Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by artificial
From ISH rumors

source

Damn it, I was thinking he would return for cheap. Hopefully the warriors don't throw him a ridiculous deal as the one Turiaf got.
They can only offer him around 5 mil, which IS cheap. We were supposedly offering him around 6. I doubt he bothers signing an offer sheet. He would just be taking money out of his own pocket as the Sixers would match for LESS money than they are offering him.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 11:58 AM   #3
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

To add to that, I kind of doubt the source. I don't doubt the Warriors like him, but if they actually think they can sign him for less money than we're offering and we have the ability to match, they're nuts.

Plus...why would they want Monta AND Lou? Two guys that are undersized combo guards.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:42 PM   #4
artificial
:-P

artificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected poster

At the time I first read it, the idea of losing/overpaying Lou bothered me.

But certainly, thinking it closely it either doesn't makes much sense or isn't a serious threat.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 06:58 PM   #5
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by artificial
At the time I first read it, the idea of losing/overpaying Lou bothered me.

But certainly, thinking it closely it either doesn't makes much sense or isn't a serious threat.
Yeah don't worry about it. Think about it...if the Sixers chose not to resign Lou we'd only have 9 players on the team with no cap space. No way the Sixers would be in that situation where they'd have to sign 3 players for the veteran minimum just to fill out their active roster. Lou's coming back to Philly.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:20 PM   #6
Californiafan
I brick open layups

Californiafan has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
Yeah don't worry about it. Think about it...if the Sixers chose not to resign Lou we'd only have 9 players on the team with no cap space. No way the Sixers would be in that situation where they'd have to sign 3 players for the veteran minimum just to fill out their active roster. Lou's coming back to Philly.
Part of the team's cap space has been allotted to Iggy and Williams a Restricted Free agents. What was the qualifying offer they made for him because that amount shoul be close to what yhey're wiiling to pay.
Californiafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 11:44 PM   #7
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiafan
Part of the team's cap space has been allotted to Iggy and Williams a Restricted Free agents. What was the qualifying offer they made for him because that amount shoul be close to what yhey're wiiling to pay.
The qualifying offers are always small. I know Iggy's was 3.8 mil. I'm not sure about Lou's but I'll see if I can find it.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:17 PM   #8
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Warriors just acquired Marcus Williams from the Nets. I knew those Lou talks were false.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:40 AM   #9
ppierce34
High school junior varsity star

ppierce34 has an OK reputation so far

How does that mean they were false? Things just may have fell through or GS knew that Philly would match any reasonable offer so they looked elsewhere.
ppierce34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:01 AM   #10
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppierce34
How does that mean they were false? Things just may have fell through or GS knew that Philly would match any reasonable offer so they looked elsewhere.
I don't doubt that they were interested, but so were a lot of teams. What was reported was that they were getting ready to make an offer, and THAT was false. Had they made an offer it would have only helped the Sixers financially by matching a lower offer than what they would have gave him.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:35 AM   #11
ppierce34

Read the report. It said they were contemplating making an offer, but had to decide whether the offer they made would be worth it, because the Sixers would match any reasonable offer. So how does them trading for Marcus Williams make any of that false? It just probably means exactly what they said, they didn't want to overpay just to get LouWill because they knew the Sixers would match anything else. I don't see how you can say that is false because there is no proof.

Obviously they didn't make an offer because you would have heard about them making an offer. But that's not what the report said, it said they were interested in making an offer.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:25 PM   #12
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppierce34
Read the report. It said they were contemplating making an offer, but had to decide whether the offer they made would be worth it, because the Sixers would match any reasonable offer. So how does them trading for Marcus Williams make any of that false? It just probably means exactly what they said, they didn't want to overpay just to get LouWill because they knew the Sixers would match anything else. I don't see how you can say that is false because there is no proof.

Obviously they didn't make an offer because you would have heard about them making an offer. But that's not what the report said, it said they were interested in making an offer.
They were considering making him an offer, I said it wouldn't happen because they didn't have the money to make the Sixers not match, then they trade for Marcus Williams. The only proof we have that the Warriors were ever interested is Marc Stein. If the store goes...

Warriors Guy A: "Hey...we need more ball handling."

Warriors Guy B: "How about Lou Williams? He could handle the ball."

Warriors Guy A: "Nahh...don't have the money to make Philly not match."

Next day, Marc Stein writes it in his report that the Warriors are strongly considering Lou. Not saying he's always wrong. But I don't trust him. Any little possibility of something happening turns into a report. Lou might have been brought up in conversation but I HIGHLY doubt they ever seriously considered giving him an offer sheet. There would be a .01% chance of them getting him and would just be a waste of time. The story was bigger than it every should have been.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:33 PM   #13
ppierce34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
They were considering making him an offer, I said it wouldn't happen because they didn't have the money to make the Sixers not match, then they trade for Marcus Williams. The only proof we have that the Warriors were ever interested is Marc Stein. If the store goes...

Warriors Guy A: "Hey...we need more ball handling."

Warriors Guy B: "How about Lou Williams? He could handle the ball."

Warriors Guy A: "Nahh...don't have the money to make Philly not match."

Next day, Marc Stein writes it in his report that the Warriors are strongly considering Lou. Not saying he's always wrong. But I don't trust him. Any little possibility of something happening turns into a report. Lou might have been brought up in conversation but I HIGHLY doubt they ever seriously considered giving him an offer sheet. There would be a .01% chance of them getting him and would just be a waste of time. The story was bigger than it every should have been.

The story was never big to begin with. People that have sources, something you don't have, heard that GS was interested in making an offer but had to think about the money available and if they could make an offer that was worth it. They obviously decided they didn't have the money to make it worth it. Doesn't mean they were never serious about making him an offer. You can't call a report false because of you don't think they were serious.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: