Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 09-15-2006, 03:07 PM   #31
RapsFan
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPSCANWIN
Relax guys, lets see how healthy he can remain. I wouldnt lock him up for more than 2 years. But yeah, he's looking for more than chump change, at least 25 - 40% more than he's making now

He would laugh at any deal less then 4 and possibly 5 years. We won't be offering TJ Ford a 2 year deal. Again, this is the guy we gave Cvill away for.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 09:06 PM   #32
A Roc 23
Back Better Then Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
We definitely can't lowball TJ or offer some crazy deal like 2 or 3 years like I have been reading. Unless we want to piss him off and he walks, leaving us with nothing to show for Cvill.

TJ will probably command at least $7mill per, if he has a season like last. If he's better, he'll command more. That is why I think we need to lock him up around the $6.75 to $7.5 per season for 4-5 years now.

Side note: Can you believe that Phoenix is stalling on giving Diaw $10 mill per, when they just gave Barbosa $8 mill per I think and I know Nene now makes $10 mill per.

Barbosa's contract averages 6.4 million a season.
A Roc 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 11:09 PM   #33
brwnman

if T.J. hasn't proven anything and can't shoot and can't defend, then really why get him? I mean he is suppose to be the stalibilizer for us at point... but if he can't do so much, I don't see why he would be so good... just playing devil's advocate my friends...

but I was not thrilled to see him come for Charlie V, we payed to much of a high price in my opinion and that is why I am saying the things I am saying... I mean we had CV for another year for virtually no money, but we get T.J. and we must extend him, if not then he can become a RFA and anybody can atleast take a shot at him... so I say it again, I think it would have been better suited to re-sign Mike James (as our PG) and keep CV, instead of trading CV for Ford...

Last edited by brwnman : 09-15-2006 at 11:12 PM.
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 12:09 AM   #34
BullRaps
I airball my layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwnman
if T.J. hasn't proven anything and can't shoot and can't defend, then really why get him? I mean he is suppose to be the stalibilizer for us at point... but if he can't do so much, I don't see why he would be so good... just playing devil's advocate my friends...

but I was not thrilled to see him come for Charlie V, we payed to much of a high price in my opinion and that is why I am saying the things I am saying... I mean we had CV for another year for virtually no money, but we get T.J. and we must extend him, if not then he can become a RFA and anybody can atleast take a shot at him... so I say it again, I think it would have been better suited to re-sign Mike James (as our PG) and keep CV, instead of trading CV for Ford...

We got him for his potential. The truth is that he's not proven. He has been in the league for 3 years but only played for a year and a half. Another thing is that the system that the new GM wants to play need a pass first point guard who likes to play uptempto. TJ meets both conditions so the raps took a chance. But who can really say for a fact that he will play well in this system? I think it's crazy to start throwing out numbers like 6-8mil per year for him. And maybe I did lowball him with the 3 mil per year but no way he deserves more than 5 mil given what he has done thus far in the league. As for Barbosa, at least he showed that he could shoot and score in the phoenix system. At the moment, TJ can't say he can do what the raps need him to do.
BullRaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 12:09 AM   #35
TRapsFan4Lyf
I brick open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwnman

mike james did not want to stay in Tdot tho, so we had to let him go. im a big fan of charlie V, and i think hes a great player. but him and Cbosh wouldnt coexist that well, once CV develops and both need playing time at PF
TRapsFan4Lyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 02:44 PM   #36
PFunk
Kids at the park dunk on me

i'm a bucks fan, so i've gotten to watch almost every game since's he been in the league..if the raptors overpay to keep him there will be a good reason, he looks like the perfect fit to the type of team that's being created. he does have a history of injury, but he looks like he's totaly over it. last season he showed a much improved jump shot and the ability to get to the line. if he learns to be a scorer, he'll be a top flight point guard. he should get a deal comparable to 8-10 million a year over 3-4 years. he has the potential to put up 14-16 pts/g 7-8 asts 3-4 reb 2 stls which would be about what Hinrich, who was in his draft class does...
PFunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 05:55 PM   #37
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tips4
12 Years old kid talking.

Anyways Tj Ford is not Nash, Nash can shoot and probably a better passer. Tj should take a 4 year deal that will pay him around 6-7 mill a year. After the 4 years run out the new CBA will come in and if he lived up to his potential he will receive more money since the new CBA is in place.

Dont start **** with me im 19 dumb ****

Your just in denial that maybe you can have a great team this year and i came here to compliment on that. You dont need to diss right away
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 12:04 AM   #38
brwnman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRapsFan4Lyf
mike james did not want to stay in Tdot tho, so we had to let him go. im a big fan of charlie V, and i think hes a great player. but him and Cbosh wouldnt coexist that well, once CV develops and both need playing time at PF

Mike James wanted to return, if we payed him the money... and I don't mind trading CV, but not for TJ Ford, we gave up a big man who is possibly better than TJ at his position and will be earning a hell alota less than him for a little while longer... I just think we could've got something much more out of CV than just TJ Ford...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 02:19 AM   #39
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

But the way Colangelo likes building teams is to run....look what he did with phoenix. He brought in a PG that is Going to Make Bosh and Andrea bargnani sooo much better and it increases andrea's Chances for scoring much more. and possibly even becoming the next nowitzki.

I know its too early to compare now but this can happen somewhere down the line.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 11:49 PM   #40
GoRapz
Fire Dwane Casey

I would give him a 6 year deal paying him around the price range of 8-10 million a year.

TJ definately has the potential to be a top 10 PG in the league in the upcoming years.
GoRapz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 11:07 AM   #41
nerdsunite
Decent playground baller

I'd offer him the same, around 5 yrs 40 million....that is with an anual increase, starting at 6.5 and then ending in the final years at 8.5 - 9 million. I think TJ is a wonderful player and if he remains healthy will be an all star during this proposed deal. And sure, it would have been nice to have gotten another piece from Mil for the C V trade but i was not sad to see charlie go. I remember two things, the night he droped what 48 and the nights when i didnt even notice him on the floor. I believe the latter will be the more common. Good trade, cant wait to see TJ run the floor and fly over someone for a massive put back, no sh&% the kid can fly.....peace
nerdsunite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 11:31 AM   #42
adamcz
Bucks fan

I would try to get him a high salary/low years deal. Maybe 3 years/$21 million. Pay him fairly for his potential, but don't lock yourself in if he doesn't pan out.
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 02:19 PM   #43
bonez26
Local High School Star

Quote:
and I don't mind trading CV, but not for TJ Ford, we gave up a big man who is possibly better than TJ at his position and will be earning a hell alota less than him for a little while longer... I just think we could've got something much more out of CV than just TJ Ford...

I strongly disagree that he is better at his position. I can name at least 20 forwards better than Villanueva. There's no way TJ falls out of the top ten PG right now.

Cassell
Wade
Bibby
Andre Miller
Kidd
Nash
Devin Harris
CP3
Hinrich
Billups
Parker

and maybe a few others. But he is in the upper part of PG's where as Villanueva and Forwards he is really far down the list
bonez26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 05:25 PM   #44
Raptorballfan
I airball my layups

I'm not one to make quick judgements about trades until I see what happens on the court... and sometimes that can take more then just one season. Having said that, I can't disagree with the CV for TJ trade at this point. We needed a PG and we had an extra PF... we'll see if the on court battle works itself out over time.

That being said, there is all this talk about if TJ is a top 10 point guard or not. I have a couple of thoughts on that. He may not be top 10 now, but I sure hope he will be soon. If TJ is not a top 15 point guard within a couple of years, than that means that at least HALF the teams in the league have a better starting PG than the Raps. Considering we're supposed to be building around Bosh and TJ, I'd like to think that TJ will end up being a better then average starting PG. If TJ does not turn into a top 10 PG within the next season or two, than we aren't building for a Championship... we're just rebuilding.

Having said that. If you had said that we could trade our Number 7 pick in last years draft, for a top 10 point guard, I think most of us would have done that. Nobody assumed that Charlie would have turned into the second best rookie statistically last year. So Charlie may turn out to be a great power forward, but is he going to be a top 10 power forward? And is he as valuable as a top 10 point guard? That's what we'll have to wait and see. But again, I think that if TJ is going to be our starting guard of the future, then hoping that he will be a top 10 PG is not asking too much. If he's not top 10, we're never going to be much more then a 1st or 2nd round playoff team. Top ten isn't much in a 30 team league.
Raptorballfan is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: