Page 7 of 46 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast

Default Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

I was playing some oblivion a few weeks ago before skyrim was out and I just had to look at the release date, march 20 2006. After 5 years, the advancement between oblivion and skyrim is absolutely massive, as it should be. Bethesda went all in knowing that this is probably their last RPG for this generation of consoles.

Quote Originally Posted by Maniak
    Well, all RPGs are meant(imo) for a PC. They just always feel better and theres just something about it

As for Skyrim, the modding community is worth it. Once you beat skyrim/get bored of it you'll look around and find people adding new areas, quests, companions, homes, the list goes on. Some of the mods even help the games graphics/settings. Theres not too many for Skyrim right now, but if you look at some of the stuff people did for Oblivion its amazing.

Also, the console commands you get on PC(by clicking ~/`) are so useful, if you feel like being a little bit cheap, you can turn on invincibility, give yourself money, activate no clip mode, the list goes on.

All in all, you get your bang for your buck on PC. If you buy it for console but have the option to get it on PC you are straight dumb.
    Skyrim specifically is clearly a game that is better on PC; it's a game that is designed for PC, looks better on PC and you have all the mods for it. But that first argument of "All RPGs are meant to be played on PC" is just ridiculous.

it appears that you can be a warewolf once per day

Banned

hey guys,

I'm at level 12

took a break from the main quest, the side quests are always better in Bethesda games, and this game is not disappointing

one question though, does anyone have any tips on recruiting followers?

btw, the faendal exploit works pretty well, my archery is up to 50 with barely any work, but im playing it on 360 so it's to be expected, i wonder if it'll get patched on the PC

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    Skyrim specifically is clearly a game that is better on PC; it's a game that is designed for PC, looks better on PC and you have all the mods for it. But that first argument of "All RPGs are meant to be played on PC" is just ridiculous.
    Yes, and there is no reason I put (imo) in brackets.

But its for the same reason I mentioned. Modding(in a more positive manner) will probably always be more on PC, and an RPG flourishes with modding.

Plus, I feel as though if I play an RPG on console I'm limiting my controls. With a keyboard and mouse, I can have more things on more buttons, rather than being a little bit more restricted.

Banned

But its for the same reason I mentioned. Modding(in a more positive manner) will probably always be more on PC, and an RPG flourishes with modding.

Plus, I feel as though if I play an RPG on console I'm limiting my controls. With a keyboard and mouse, I can have more things on more buttons, rather than being a little bit more restricted.
    im playing on 360 because I don't have a PC right now (mac book or wackbook?) but I agree this game would be THAT much better on pc

but for me it's not about the controls its about the patches

by the end of oblivion the game ran so smoothly, many bugs had been removed, that I went back and played it through again

skyrim is already better to me, I can't put it down there is just too much to do!

That is very specific to an Elder Scrolls type RPG.

But tons of RPGs, such as the "Tales of" series, work better on console. Those games have a progressive, balanced storyline that really doesn't cater to the modding crowd even if they did have access to them. And it would be a pain to play a game like Tales with a keyboard.

Decent college freshman RapsFan's Avatar

Just started playing this last night. Can someone give me a quick Skyrim 101.

In terms of the Race choice, does it matter very much. Do some of your skills just start higher then other Races? Say at 20 instead of 15. I picked Imperial. Should you stick to a handful of Skills to build up?

Also, can any Race wear and use any type of item and learn all types of magic? It's not like you have to be a mage to use magic?

Finally, for console users, can you easily switch from melee weapon to magic? I use directional buttons for magi favourites, but do I really have to go back to the item menu and re equip weapons?

So far, game is great. Spent far too much time in the blacksmith pit.

I am doing a side quest were I am trying to find some sort of amulet or crown or something in a cave just west of the main city.

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RapsFan
    Just started playing this last night. Can someone give me a quick Skyrim 101.

In terms of the Race choice, does it matter very much. Do some of your skills just start higher then other Races? Say at 20 instead of 15. I picked Imperial. Should you stick to a handful of Skills to build up?

Also, can any Race wear and use any type of item and learn all types of magic? It's not like you have to be a mage to use magic?

Finally, for console users, can you easily switch from melee weapon to magic? I use directional buttons for magi favourites, but do I really have to go back to the item menu and re equip weapons?

So far, game is great. Spent far too much time in the blacksmith pit.

I am doing a side quest were I am trying to find some sort of amulet or crown or something in a cave just west of the main city.
    My recommendation is to decide if you want to be a Mage, Warrior or Rogue. Once you decide each one offers a "club" for you to train in and join. I'd do that first (I did Mage College quest line). I did this so I could get the best robes in game (Arch Mage robes) and a bunch of levels/Mage training in the process. The quest line took me about 7 hours. Then once I became Arch Mage I went to Greybeards to learn the way of the dragon. Right now I'm finding ways to get rich like by wiping out dirty gangs. I'm doing this to fund all my training.

It's very important that you specialize rather than being good at everything. You can be a Warrior or Archer /Rogue with a little Mage.... but I wouldn't balance them anywhere near equally. I'm a 100 percent pure Mage. Once you decide on a main class you need to get it down to 2-3 main schools to max. For example as a melee character I'd pick 1H/shield or 2H. From there just max the appropriate skills and work on a healing spell. I'm a Conjuration/Restoration Mage. My playstyle is powerful summoned demons+ my group fighting for me as I heal everybody including myself.

Not only is this playstyle effective even against the best monsters, but it's really fun for me. The greatest thing about Skyrim is you can play in 100 different ways and do well. I just think in general you'll be a lot stronger if you focus on 1 main strategy be it Mage, Warrior or Rogue.

BTW guys after trying 5 different companions I have one you'll all love! Marcurio. He's an Arcane Mage who is found in Riften bar called Bee's ---- (forgot name). He's incredible powerful and it's fun to watch him shoot lightning out of his hands from 50 yards away and pwn people. He actually killed a white dragon (most powerful in game) for me in like 2 mins by himself mostly.

As a Mage though you obviously have to keep him safe and heal him. Since I'm also a Mage... I summon my Ice Atronach to tank for the group... as well as my Wolfhound dog. So basically my group is 2 differently schooled Mages+2 tanks/melee.

One piece of advice I give you as well as everybody is to start taking the Carriage outside of major towns! It automatically takes you to undiscovered major cities. Once you learn them all you can fast travel anywhere pretty much.
    Last edited by Clippersfan86; 11-14-2011 at 01:24 PM.

Dont H8 the Laker H8er glidedrxlr22's Avatar

How's the 3rd person view?

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by glidedrxlr22
    Great. I've been playing in 3rd person 85 percent of the time.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by glidedrxlr22
    if you've played fallout it is similar, it is kind of off centered just like fallout

you can zoom out pretty far if youd like as well, i prefer the view in combat but sneaking and searching for clues/items/treasure i do in 1st person

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    One piece of advice I give you as well as everybody is to start taking the Carriage outside of major towns! It automatically takes you to undiscovered major cities. Once you learn them all you can fast travel anywhere pretty much.
    I found this useful too but i was only following quests and not making a conscious effort to make money

i realized before too long i was broke
    Last edited by Burgz; 11-14-2011 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgz
    if you've played fallout it is similar, it is kind of off centered just like fallout

you can zoom out pretty far if youd like as well, i prefer the view in combat but sneaking and searching for clues/items/treasure i do in 1st person
    im on the 360 how do you zoom at first it was a good distance in 3rd person but now its too close please help will rep

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LebronairJAMES
    im on the 360 how do you zoom at first it was a good distance in 3rd person but now its too close please help will rep
    click the RS in and move the LS in and out to adjust and rotate RS to rotate the camera to see your players face etc.

Hope that helps now go kill some dragons