Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Visiting New York

When are you going? Rufus can give you advice as a visitor and I can give you advice as a local.

Give a list of what you are looking to do and we'll get you some good advice.

One thing to do is avoid most of the restaurants in Times square with the excptions HB Burger and John's Pizza (sit down place with full pies)
    9th Ave is filled with small reasonable restaurants. Lots of diversity of choices.

Here's one Tip. Downtown is below 14th Street. Time Square is Midtown.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    When are you going? Rufus can give you advice as a visitor and I can give you advice as a local.

Give a list of what you are looking to do and we'll get you some good advice.

One thing to do is avoid most of the restaurants in Times square with the excptions HB Burger and John's Pizza (sit down place with full pies)
    9th Ave is filled with small reasonable restaurants. Lots of diversity of choices.

Here's one Tip. Downtown is below 14th Street. Time Square is Midtown.
    Yeah I was actually going to ask about the eateries and whatnot - kinda figured Times Square would be a bit commercialized and all of that. But then again, I have some awfully unrefined taste buds so I'm not sure I'll be phased either way.

I hate to be difficult, but we kinda just decided to stop in NYC as an afterthought for a day or two. As such, I'm really uncertain what kind of things we'll be able to accomplish (or what we want to accomplish). I feel like it'll just be good enough for me to be there, since I've never been, but I'm sure it'd be nice to experience some things out there.

I'm actually kind of worried of coming across too much like a tourist. But I guess it is what it is. What might be available in that general Times Square area to visit or experience without really breaking the bank?

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

I am also going to NY in a few months...will be staying in Times Square

restaurant advice would be nice!...both up 5-star and hole in the wall joints

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-

Cafe Colonial on white plains rd and Brady ave in the Bronx

Kevin's advice about 9th Ave. is good. Really if you go East or West a few blocks from Times Square you'll run into some great neighborhood places.

My faves of the $$$$ variety:

Esca
    Le Bernadin
    Daniel
    DB Bistro Moderne
    Momofuku
    Per Se
    Babbo

In Times Square it's worth going to Sardi's. The food is average but the ambience and history are great. Also 21 Club on 52nd St. Very old school.

awesome

will definitely look into all of those

If you're going fancy the best deal is lunch. I had the lunch at Del Posto and that might have been the fanciest meal I've ever had and it was delicious.

http://www.delposto.com/lunch.cfm
    http://ny.eater.com/archives/2013/03..._york_city.php

Del Posto is not filled up at lunch either. It's away from the business districts. You need to reserve, but it's not hard to get a reservation.

Colicchio and Sons is on that same block and they do a lunch W-F
    http://www.craftrestaurantsinc.com/colicchio-and-sons/

The Brooklyn Brawler. BrooklynZoo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    You also have to budget for your car. Find out if the hotel has parking and if they charge for it.

huh? drive? I find it weird that a new yorker would be advising a tourist to get a car in the city, but I'm guessing that we're assuming he's coming by car and can't just ditch it. I'd def advise to take the train to avoid the traffic and just for kicks (especially if you dont have a major public transportation system where you're from)

As to where to go/what to see

-Times Square to see all the lights/people

-Chinatown, Little Italy and Soho are all in the same area if you wanted to walk around, check out the area/people and eat (Ctown has cheap food, Little Italy is pretty expensive) or do a little shopping.

-If you're trying to catch a sporting event: Barclays Center is a couple stops away from Manhattan if you wanna check out a Nets game, MSG is in the heart of the city (but their season will probably be over by the time u get there lol) and Yankee stadium is in the Bronx (the only reason you might want to go to the Bronx)

WTC/Memorial, Central Park, Statue of Liberty, Rockefeller Center, Grand Central station and a bunch of museums and broadway shows if you're into that stuff

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Margon on 136 west 46 Street has the best Cuban sandwiches in the world, for hole in the wall spots.

5 star restaurants are easy to look up.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynZoo
    huh? drive? I find it weird that a new yorker would be advising a tourist to get a car in the city, but I'm guessing that we're assuming he's coming by car and can't just ditch it.
    He already said he was driving.

Fresh Kid Turned Rotten Lamar Doom's Avatar

hole in the wall joints

Chez Oskar
    211 Dekalb Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11205

Quote Originally Posted by prime "old" timer
    5 star baller ass shit for baller ass ballers

Locanda Vini & Olii
    129 Gates Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11238

Balthazaar
    80 Spring St, New York, NY 10012

Balthazaar the only one really close to your hotel but you should get into Brooklyn and walk around ft greene and Clinton hill with your lady. Gonna get that magic all up in her man, I wouldn't do you wrong here.
    Last edited by Lamar Doom; 04-07-2014 at 10:54 PM.

NBA Superstar

Also, with being housed near Times Square, are their any local casual basketball spots where we could get up some shots?

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Also, with being housed near Times Square, are their any local casual basketball spots where we could get up some shots?
    I have no idea how casual, but surprisingly, there are actually some close to Times Square

You should take the train down to W4th and 6Ave. Tiny little court known as The Cage. Probably the most famous court in Manhattan outside of Rucker. If the weather is warm, it probably will not be casual, but you never know. I got to play there early in the season on spring day where the temperature suddenly jumped to 70's. Just a half court game, but I had a good day, scored 4 or 5 in a row until they switched defenders on me. My guy thought the CharlesBarkleyround white kid couldn't play and gave me some room. I had three baskets before taking a dribble. Then his teammate was screaming at him to D me up and he comically overplayed me and I went in for an easy layup.

I don't even remember why I was in that neighborhood that day. If it was later spring or the summer, I wouldn't have even gotten on that court.

It's also the heart of Greenwich Village and is a cool place to walk around. And the court is very close to one of the best slices of pizza in NY.
    Last edited by KevinNYC; 04-08-2014 at 08:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamar Doom
    Chez Oskar
    211 Dekalb Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11205

Locanda Vini & Olii
    129 Gates Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11238

Balthazaar
    80 Spring St, New York, NY 10012

Balthazaar the only one really close to your hotel but you should get into Brooklyn and walk around ft greene and Clinton hill with your lady. Gonna get that magic all up in her man, I wouldn't do you wrong here.