Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Brooklyn Nets Forum

Brooklyn Nets Forum Brooklyn Nets message board - Brooklyn Nets forum

Old 01-05-2010, 10:52 PM   #1
Nets fan 93
Brooklyn Nets >

Nets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Alston gone; Nets deal for Chris Quinn :)

Quote:
Nets Buy Out Alston, Acquire Chris Quinn and Swap of Picks
January 5, 2010, 3:22 pm

The Nets and Rafer Alston reached an agreement on a buyout Tuesday. Alston accepted $2.1 million on the $3.05 million still owed him and will sign with the Heat. In a separate deal, the Nets acquired Chris Quinn, the Heat point guard and cash and and agreed to swap second round picks in 2010 and 2012, all for a trade exception. The Heat acquire the Nets 2010 second round pick, but it’s protected from 31-50
Netsdaily.com

How weird is that. Chris Quinn.

TBH though Quinn is a solid three point shooter that can hopefully hit a couple shots when we are going through the usual funk...

As for Alston. I am happy to see a contender grab him. he was just wasting time here passing game winners to Eduardo Najera and missing layups. He had a horrible IQ and wasnt the shooter i thought he could have been for us.
Nets fan 93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:31 PM   #2
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Alston gone; Nets deal for Chris Quinn :)

i had absolutely zero understanding of this complicated trade, so i followed NI's comments to understand it better. reprinting them here in case it helps make things clearer for anyone else who was confused:

So here’s what apparently happened…

–The Nets tried to trade Alston but couldn’t get anything they wanted.

–He agreed to give up $1 million in what was owed to him.

–The Nets got an undetermined amount of cash from Miami, thus adding to the savings on this. I assume the amount is no greater than the $1.07 million owed to Quinn.

–The Nets used the smaller of their two trade exceptions from the VC trade, the $1.22 million exception that equaled Ryan Anderson’s salary. They retain the larger one…$3.73 million.

–The Nets now have 10 draft picks: two firsts and a second in 2010; a first and two seconds in 2011; two firsts and two seconds in 2012. That’s the most of any team.

–IF the cash the Nets received does amount to $1 million, then the Nets saved a net of about $1.5 million, the difference between what they saved from Alston’s buyout and the cash from Miami minus what’s owed Quinn.

–The Nets are now be under the salary cap, I think. In terms of cap space, they saved more than $3 million…the difference between Alston’s reconfigured salary (about $4.2 million) and Quinn’s salary ($1.07 million.) Since the Nets were just above the cap, a savings of $3 million would put them below the cap by that amount.

-The Nets pick is protected 31-50 meaning unless the Nets finish with the NBA’s 10th best record or better, the pick remains with the Nets. There is carryover til 2011 or 2012. If there had been, it would have been mentioned in the official press release.

-The Heat pick is unprotected. No matter where the Heat finish in 2011-12, the Nets get it.

-Al Iannazzone makes the point that the Nets were able to use one of the two trade exceptions from the Carter deal to gain a player, $1 million in cash and a second round pick. Normally, a team lets those smaller trade exceptions expire. The Nets also got to keep the larger exception they gained in the Carter deal.

-So the Vince Carter trade is now Vince Carter and Ryan Anderson for Courtney Lee, Tony Battie, Chris Quinn, a second round pick in 2012, a $3.73 million trade exception and $1 million in cash. In other words, this deal enhanced the Carter deal.

cool... i think. :)
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:30 AM   #3
JerzeyBlaze
BBall gets u cut

JerzeyBlaze is considered somewhat coolJerzeyBlaze is considered somewhat cool

thanks for the info...that clears up some things for me.

I like the move actually, i think its smart. Alston was gone either way and def was not going to be a Net next year. This gives Quinn a chance to play and show what he can do, and we are really not missing or losing anything due to the Alston swap with Quinn

Great move for both Teams IMO
JerzeyBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:03 PM   #4
MTing
Where Brooklyn at?

MTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Nice.
I havent seen a lot of Quinn but I hear hes a decent shooter. Can he pass?
MTing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:53 AM   #5
JerzeyBlaze
BBall gets u cut

JerzeyBlaze is considered somewhat coolJerzeyBlaze is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTing
Nice.
I havent seen a lot of Quinn but I hear hes a decent shooter. Can he pass?

To be honest im not really sure what he can do. I know he can shoot the 3 ball very well and there was a time a few years ago when he was lighting it up with assists and shooting, but he never got a lot of playing time. So im not sure exactly what he can do now.
JerzeyBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:00 AM   #6
Nets fan 93
Brooklyn Nets >

Nets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzeyBlaze
To be honest im not really sure what he can do. I know he can shoot the 3 ball very well and there was a time a few years ago when he was lighting it up with assists and shooting, but he never got a lot of playing time. So im not sure exactly what he can do now.
Well playing bhind Dooling... he will probably be used minimally. Probably make a shot or 2 and the go to the bench
Nets fan 93 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: