Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910

Default Re: Melo is the league's leading scorer

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3
    It's possible but I think you have to remember that Kobe is one of the few players ever to attempt 40+ FG's in a game and he's done it a bajilion times. Just worth remembering. I always am surprised T-Mac didn't have more 50+ games, but he only had one year where he really scored at a legendary level, whereas Kobe has had like 3. Kobe does seem to have more peaks and valleys than anyone else though.
    Yeah, I know his production and legacy would be completely different.

I always thought it was amazing that he started racking up a lot of individual awards when he was deep in his career (similar to Malone in a way), so him being the first option from the start and his strong work ethic would be an interesting mix.

And the peaks and valleys you touched upon... Scenarios like 03-04 for example, perhaps don't happen either.

Good college starter Rubio2Gasol's Avatar

You're presenting stats not facts.

People have given legit reasons, he has the most diverse scoring Arsenal. Same reason you'd take Dirk is a better scorer than half the fools who outscore him every year.

Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkNoPicks
    What does 1 or 2 more ppg have to do with definitively annointing one player a better scorer than another?
    It's actually 3 ppg for their entire career. That's not a difference of one or two 50 point games....that's a difference of 3000+ points over their equal tenures in the league, and accounting for LeBron's extra 40 games in the regular season, that's still a 2000 point difference for an equal amount of games played by each. 2000 points...that's a full season's worth of scoring that LeBron has over Melo in an equal amount of games. All of a sudden seems like quite a bit huh?

Having 1 more 50 point game? Things like this are trivial and mean nothing.
    Like I said earlier, it's not 1 more 50 point game...it's one more season of 25 ppg. A full season of 25 ppg is the difference between their scoring in an equal amount of games.

David Robinson had a 71 point game once, is he a better scorer than Hakeem who rarely if ever scored 50? Cmon brah...
    This isn't a case of LeBron has a higher career high in points than Melo (though he does), it's a case of higher career ppg, higher career points (by 3000 points), more scoring titles, and even better efficiency while doing it. You can't really argue against something that compelling and expect to make a good point.

3000 more career points, better FG%, eFG% and TS% (take your pick of which one you like) and higher playoff scoring average.

Quote Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
    Yeah, I know his production and legacy would be completely different.

I always thought it was amazing that he started racking up a lot of individual awards when he was deep in his career (similar to Malone in a way), so him being the first option from the start and his strong work ethic would be an interesting mix.

And the peaks and valleys you touched upon... Scenarios like 03-04 for example, perhaps don't happen either.
    Btw he wouldnt have been good enough yet to score that much when he was a bench player and Shaq didn't really affect Kobes PPG the way some act like, which outside of 2005-06 and (to a lesser extent) 06-07 has stayed around the same area more or less.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubio2Gasol

People have given legit reasons, he has the most diverse scoring Arsenal. Same reason you'd take Dirk is a better scorer than half the fools who outscore him every year.
    Dirk also doesn't shoot that much, but has shown he can when needed in the playoffs.

Melo takes as many shots as anyone else and they still score more. He's also not shown the same ability as Dirk to basically score on demand throughout entire playoff series.

Dirk steps up his scoring in the playoffs, as does LeBron. Melo has had multiple playoffs where he's been complete shit. No one cares if Melo is more versatile than Lebron when Lebron scores more and more efficiently every damn year and every damn playoffs. And Melo looks to score WAAAYYYYYY more than LBJ yet still can't outscore him. Seriously this isn't an argument just stop overrating Melo.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave3
    Dirk also doesn't shoot that much, but has shown he can when needed in the playoffs.

Melo takes as many shots as anyone else and they still score more. He's also not shown the same ability as Dirk to basically score on demand throughout entire playoff series.
    Exactly. I should have added playoffs to show Dirks best.

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3
    Btw he wouldnt have been good enough yet to score that much when he was a bench player and Shaq didn't really affect Kobes PPG the way some act like, which outside of 2005-06 and (to a lesser extent) 06-07 has stayed around the same area more or less.
    Yeah, he wouldn't be elite right away, but around 1999-2000 or 2000-2001... He should have been scoring much more. No reason he shouldn't, unless he does have more scoring options on another hypothetical team.

I don't believe Shaq got in his way either. Post 2000, I thought Kobe actually scored pretty damn close to Shaq (ignoring efficiency off course; not like you can be more efficient that Shaq from the field anyways).

Shut up you clown. It's over. You have nothing and you know it. Keep

Good college starter Rubio2Gasol's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    Shut up you clown. It's over. You have nothing and you know it. Keep
    Lol.

Anyway, Dirk scores 26 points on 47 % on the playoffs.. Not particularly special for a big man. He takes less shots because he gets to the line more.But yet, he is easily a better scorer than any power forward I've seen.

The diverse offensive arsenal has it's merits, whether you choose to place emphasis on it or not isn't really my concern.

Lol.

Anyway, Dirk scores 26 points on 47 % on the playoffs.. Not particularly special for a big man. He takes less shots because he gets to the line more.But yet, he is easily a better scorer than any power forward I've seen.

The diverse offensive arsenal has it's merits, whether you choose to place emphasis on it or not isn't really my concern.
    For Dirk sure. It doesn't help Melo considering he tosses up countless bricks in the playoffs while LeBron Kobe and Durant dominate.

Melo has always been a great scorer.

Knicks fans would do well to just be realistic. It's never enough to just be happy with what that have and just complement their team and players proportionately. They always have to go the extra step and make outlandish claims of being the best or better than players or teams that are clearly better.