Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Great college starter SyRyanYang's Avatar

Default Kareem on Steph: "he is on a different plane from all the guys that I played against"

Game recognizes game. Full quote.
    Quote Originally Posted by ABDUL-JABBAR
    The reason that young kids today don’t learn how to shoot hook shots is because everybody is so enamored with the three-point shot. So the kids, they don’t want two points. They don’t want to work with their back to the basket. That’s not cool. They want to go out there in the stratosphere and shoot three-pointers.

I didn’t think that that worked. For the longest time, that did not work as solid basketball strategy. But now when we have a time — when you have people like Stephen Curry, who can shoot the ball, he can — I’ve never seen anybody shoot like that. I’ll give you an explanation.

They showed Stephan shooting 100 three-point shots in practice. He made 92 out of 100 from the three-point arc, including 77 in a row. This is just practicing. Anybody that can shoot like that is on a different plane from all the guys that I played against, and the people that I saw when I first started watching the game in 1960. I never seen anybody shoot the ball like that.

If that is the coming talent level of NBA players, they’re going to be forgetting a lot about the guys that played in my era and the earlier eras of the NBA because the talent level of the guys playing now has really risen.

But they’re not teaching the kids how to score in the paint with their back to the basket, and, therefore, a lot of them don’t get to learn the hook shot, and they don’t get to realize that if you get close to the basket, a lot more of your shots will go in. They don’t seem to understand that.

That was the first thing that I learned, and so I worked on that hook shot and learned how to get positioned close to the basket where I can get my hook shot off.

Decent playground baller Wiltside's Avatar

Default Re: Kareem on Steph: "he is on a different plane from all the guys that I played against"

Translation: KAJ thinks Steph will pass Magic.

Default Re: Kareem on Steph: "he is on a different plane from all the guys that I played against"

Obviously not on this plane

Quote Originally Posted by Wiltside
    Translation: KAJ thinks Steph will pass Magic.
    Currys per36 PRF is now 20th on my list(if correct) , Though it's a TIGHT race so I'm not taking him down. He's up there with the biggest names in the game

28th on his current minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by jongib369
    Any names with an * next to it is adjusted for assists that led to a 3 per game.

PRF= Points+points from assists.

None of the 'totals include FGA or FG%

Bird 87 PRF-43.3 -- FG%.525 (20.2 FGA)
    Blocks- 0.9
    Steals-1.8
    Rebounds-9.2
    Fouled-6.1
    Free Throws made-5.6

(Total 1 all. Total 2 without FTA. Total 3 without any free throw data.
    Total 1=66.9
    Total 2=60.8
    Total 3=55.2

Magic 87 PRF- 48.3 -- FG%.525 (16.4 FGA)
    Blocks- 0.5
    Steals-1.7
    Rebounds-6.3
    Fouled-7.9
    Free Throws made-6.7

(Total 1 all. Total 2 without FTA. Total 3 without any free throw data.
    Total 1=71.4
    Total 2=63.5
    Total 3=56.8
    *Curry 16 per 36 PRF- 47.03 FG% .506 (20.6 FGA)
    Blocks- 0.2
    Steals-2.3
    Rebounds- 5.6
    Free throws attempted-5.9
    Free Throws made- 5.4

**Per 36**
    (Total 1 all. Total 2 without FTA. Total 3 without any free throw data. None of the 'totals include FGA or FG%)
    Total 1=66.43
    Total 2=60.53
    Total 3= 55.13

These per 36 stats are even for magic who actually played that amount, and 4 minutes less than Bird. So even with per36 as great as it is, so far viewed this way this season isn't as good as 87 Magics. Though close, and incredible.

For the PRF stat Curry gets 6.39 points from Assists to 3s, 8.74 points on 2s

From 3's he assists, and 3's he MAKES it's a total of 21.69 PPG

Currys per36 PRF is now 20th on my list(if correct) , Though it's a TIGHT race so I'm not taking him down. He's up there with the biggest names in the game

Blocks- 0.2
    Steals-2.3
    Rebounds- 5.6
    Free Throws made- 5.4

**Per 36**
    (Total 1 all. Total 2 without FTA. Total 3 without any free throw data. None of the 'totals include FGA or FG%)
    Total 1=66.43
    Total 2=60.53
    Total 3= 55.13

These per 36 stats are even for magic who actually played that amount, and 4 minutes less than Bird. So even with per36 as great as it is, so far viewed this way this season isn't as good as 87 Magics. Though close, and incredible.

Do you really think a bullshit stat you pulled out of your ass means jackshit?

Curry is on a different plane...and in a different era.

BTW, do you think that Curry would have been shooting 30+ foot shots, and in an era in which all FGMs were worth two points?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Blocks- 0.2
    Steals-2.3
    Rebounds- 5.6
    Free Throws made- 5.4

**Per 36**
    Total 1=66.43
    Total 2=60.53
    Total 3= 55.13

reported for spamming in multiple threads

Quote Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
    So to you his Points per game, and the amount of points scored off his assists means nothing? I even adjusted it to 3's from his assists..It's literally adding the impact of some of the most important stats in the game

Then even with other stats added, he's got a higher total than arguably Larry Birds best season, playing 4 minutes less per game.

This stat helps Currys legacy, don't get your panties in a bunch because it doesn't have him as number one
    Last edited by jongib369; 02-03-2016 at 12:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan
    reported for spamming in multiple threads
    What I said, with his "new approach" to the game literally proves how impactful Curry has been

Curry stans on full meltdown because a stat shows he's having a season with slightly more impact than Birds best season on less minutes

Are you sad because I didn't mention true shooting %? As amazing as it is he's still giving you/averaging less free throws per game than what other guys are at a lesser%...Big deal, this still shows he's a monster

Local High School Star Akhenaten's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
    The "advanced stats" you guys venerate on here (vorp, ts% etc) are all "pulled out of someone's ass".

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    Curry is on a different plane...and in a different era.

BTW, do you think that Curry would have been shooting 30+ foot shots, and in an era in which all FGMs were worth two points?
    he woulda played in the ABA.

but yes, he would have dropped them from 30 feet. Jerry Lucas was doing 27 footers, Sam Jones, several guys really didn't mind hoisting it from down town. If they went in like he is doing -and they would - absolutely he'd be bombing.

nobody ever saw shooting like that afaik and here is Kareem saying the same thing from a lot better knowledge than this old gray head
    Last edited by La Frescobaldi; 02-03-2016 at 10:59 AM.

Very good NBA starter

chris mullin said steph curry was "100% the best shooter of all time."

Quote Originally Posted by La Frescobaldi
    he woulda played in the ABA.

but yes, he would have dropped them from 30 feet. Jerry Lucas was doing 27 footers, Sam Jones, several guys really didn't mind hoisting it from down town. If they went in like he is doing -and they would - absolutely he'd be bombing.

nobody ever saw shooting like that afaik and here is Kareem saying the same thing from a lot better knowledge than this old gray head
    No doubt, the best pure shooter, with the best handles that I have ever seen.

Learning to shoot layups

This is true. Modern basketball is more complex and stronger than any other previous era.

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

if lebron beat this warriors team = automatic goat