Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops



Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2014, 01:55 AM   #1
Stringer Bell
Local High School Star
 
Stringer Bell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: 40 Degree Baltimore
Posts: 1,748
Default Better postseason performer: Wilt or Lebron?

What say you?
Stringer Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:58 AM   #2
Cocaine80s
Very good NBA starter
 
Cocaine80s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Celveland
Posts: 8,465
Default Re: Better postseason performer: Wilt or Lebron?

Lebron
Cocaine80s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:07 AM   #3
dubeta
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 9,417
Default Re: Better postseason performer: Wilt or Lebron?

28 ppg postseason vs 22

24 ppg finals vs 19

Without including Wilt was guarded b 6'6 unathletic dudes that wouldnt be able to play varsity now.
dubeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:08 AM   #4
Eye Test
Lime polo army
 
Eye Test's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: LeThanos
Posts: 880
Default Re: Better postseason performer: Wilt or Lebron?

depends on what I have for breakfast
Eye Test is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:10 AM   #5
Magic 32
Very good NBA starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 8,837
Default Re: Better postseason performer: Wilt or Lebron?

Jordan
Magic 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:29 AM   #6
fpliii
sahelanthropus
 
fpliii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 9,974
Default Re: Better postseason performer: Wilt or Lebron?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubeta
28 ppg postseason vs 22

24 ppg finals vs 19

Without including Wilt was guarded b 6'6 unathletic dudes that wouldnt be able to play varsity now.
If you want to make it about ppg without context, that's your call. Not a Wilt fan, and don't care about that argument, or his case vs LeBron. Just want to correct the bolded.

How many 6'6" unathletic dudes guarded him in the playoffs?

60: Red Kerr, Bill Russell
61: Red Kerr
62: Red Kerr, Bill Russell
63: no playoffs
64: Zelmo Beaty, Bill Russell
65: Wayne Embry, Bill Russell
66: Bill Russell
67: Connie Dierking, Bill Russell, Nate Thurmond
68: Willis Reed, Bill Russell
69: Nate Thurmond, Zelmo Beaty, Bill Russell
70: Jim Fox, Walt Bellamy, Willis Reed
71: Tom Boerwinkle, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
72: Clifford Ray, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Jerry Lucas
73: Dennis Awtrey, Nate Thurmond, Willis Reed

For those keeping score (heights were in stocking feet, not in shoes):

Bill Russell: 8x (6'10")
Willis Reed: 3x (6'9")
Red Kerr: 3x (6'9")
Nate Thurmond: 3x (6'11")
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar: 2x (7'2")
Zelmo Beaty: 2x (6'9")
Dennis Awtrey: 1x (6'10")
Walt Bellamy: 1x (6'11")
Tom Boerwinkle: 1x (7')
Connie Dierking: 1x (6'9")
Wayne Embry: 1x (6'8")
Jim Fox: 1x (6'10")
Jerry Lucas: 1x (6'8")
Clifford Ray: 1x (6'9")

Dude played in 29 playoff series, 16 against Russell, Reed, Thurmond or Kareem (all four being all-time great defenders). Competition excuse doesn't work here, sorry.
fpliii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:37 AM   #7
dubeta
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 9,417
Default Re: Better postseason performer: Wilt or Lebron?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpliii
If you want to make it about ppg without context, that's your call. Not a Wilt fan, and don't care about that argument, or his case vs LeBron. Just want to correct the bolded.

How many 6'6" unathletic dudes guarded him in the playoffs?

60: Red Kerr, Bill Russell
61: Red Kerr
62: Red Kerr, Bill Russell
63: no playoffs
64: Zelmo Beaty, Bill Russell
65: Wayne Embry, Bill Russell
66: Bill Russell
67: Connie Dierking, Bill Russell, Nate Thurmond
68: Willis Reed, Bill Russell
69: Nate Thurmond, Zelmo Beaty, Bill Russell
70: Jim Fox, Walt Bellamy, Willis Reed
71: Tom Boerwinkle, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
72: Clifford Ray, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Jerry Lucas
73: Dennis Awtrey, Nate Thurmond, Willis Reed

For those keeping score (heights were in stocking feet, not in shoes):

Bill Russell: 8x (6'10")
Willis Reed: 3x (6'9")
Red Kerr: 3x (6'9")
Nate Thurmond: 3x (6'11")
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar: 2x (7'2")
Zelmo Beaty: 2x (6'9")
Dennis Awtrey: 1x (6'10")
Walt Bellamy: 1x (6'11")
Tom Boerwinkle: 1x (7')
Connie Dierking: 1x (6'9")
Wayne Embry: 1x (6'8")
Jim Fox: 1x (6'10")
Jerry Lucas: 1x (6'8")
Clifford Ray: 1x (6'9")

Dude played in 29 playoff series, 16 against Russell, Reed, Thurmond or Kareem (all four being all-time great defenders). Competition excuse doesn't work here, sorry.

Its just that i'll never understand how someone who can average 50 ppg in his sleep, only gets 19ppg in the finals
dubeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:48 AM   #8
fpliii
sahelanthropus
 
fpliii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 9,974
Default Re: Better postseason performer: Wilt or Lebron?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubeta
Its just that i'll never understand how someone who can average 50 ppg in his sleep, only gets 19ppg in the finals
I mean, as I said, I'm not a Wilt guy (in general I'm a fan of the era since I've done a lot of research on it, though I like most eras).

The thing is, 50ppg was by design. That was the gameplan of the coach (McGuire), and that's why I think you have to throw it out the window. If you decide before the season starts that you want to score 50 a game, not only is it contrived, but you become very predictable offensively. Especially since back then, there weren't very many skilled shooters in the league (and no 3pt line in general), so you'd get no spacing, and tons of defenders packing the paint. In his 50ppg season, he dropped down to 35ppg in the playoffs (and didn't make the Finals). That was an issue through 64, his last playoffs before getting traded.

Wilt had five playoff runs in his prime with decent teammates (in terms of floor spacing mostly...his teammates earlier weren't scrubs per se, but they weren't suited to a low post isolation-heavy offense), from 65-69. In two of those postseasons (65 and 66), he was in a volume scoring role, in two others he played in a triple post offense (67 and 68), and in one more he was an ancillary offensive option spending a lot of time in the high post so Baylor/West could drive (69).

Some stuff with Wilt is inexcusable (G7 in 68 vs the Celtics, by some accounts it seems both he and Coach Hannum quit on the Sixers since they'd already made plans not to be on the team the next year). His career has been dissected every which way so we can all pass our own judgments on the matter.

I don't know if he or LeBron was the better playoff performer. But it's an interesting conversation for sure.
fpliii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:02 AM   #9
Real14
2Willd & 2Fresh est.86
 
Real14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 17,189
Default Re: Better postseason performer: Wilt or Lebron?

Wilt
Real14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:10 AM   #10
Psileas
NBA rookie of the year
 
Psileas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Great!
Posts: 6,693
Default Re: Better postseason performer: Wilt or Lebron?

Since LeBron has had a great single game against Diaw and Kawhi (and we know what monsters Diaw and Kawhi become in the Finals), it can't be other than him. Russell who? 1967 what?

Quote:
Its just that i'll never understand how someone who can average 50 ppg in his sleep, only gets 19ppg in the finals

How can someone who can average 31/7/7 only get 7/2/4 in a playoff game?
Psileas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:15 AM   #11
AintNoSunshine
College superstar
 
AintNoSunshine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,727
Default Re: Better postseason performer: Wilt or Lebron?

Lebron is on MJ level, go figure yourself
AintNoSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:20 AM   #12
aj1987
MH!
 
aj1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 21,942
Default Re: Better postseason performer: Wilt or Lebron?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psileas
How can someone who can average 31/7/7 only get 7/2/4 in a playoff game?
By getting 5 fouls called on him by the 3rd.

Also, LeBron RS - 27.5 PPG; LeBron Playoffs - 28 PPG. Wilt has like an 8 PPG drop form the RS to the Playoffs.
aj1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:28 AM   #13
Psileas
NBA rookie of the year
 
Psileas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Great!
Posts: 6,693
Default Re: Better postseason performer: Wilt or Lebron?

Quote:
By getting 5 fouls called on him by the 3rd.

Also, LeBron RS - 27.5 PPG; LeBron Playoffs - 28 PPG. Wilt has like an 8 PPG drop form the RS to the Playoffs.

Maybe you didn't catch the meaning of my question.
As for the 8 ppg drop off, use this to convince someone who doesn't know how stats can lie. 8 ppg drop "per average" in a 14 year career, and yet this only happened once in his career. Something seems out of place here...
Psileas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:33 AM   #14
fiddy
NBA Superstar
 
fiddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hell
Posts: 14,950
Default Re: Better postseason performer: Wilt or Lebron?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintNoSunshine
Lebron is on MJ level, go figure yourself
Never knew MJ abused HGH
fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:59 AM   #15
KOBE143
In GawdBe We Trust
 
KOBE143's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: KB Center
Posts: 2,132
Default Re: Better postseason performer: Wilt or Lebron?

LeBron 2011 finals triumphs anything that Wilt has done..

So I guess Wilt by a small margin..
KOBE143 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:




Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:58 AM.






NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:

InsideHoops.com Home

NBA Rumors

NBA Daily Roundup

NBA Scores

NBA Stats

NBA Videos

NBA Free Agents

Fantasy Basketball

Basketball Sneakers

Search Site

STAY CONNECTED
Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
YouTube














Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy