Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 05-13-2009, 06:05 PM   #16
lukeridnour08
Decent playground baller

lukeridnour08 has decent reputation
Default Re: Which coach would you want to play for?

Tim Floyd.

Atleast I would be getting a paycheck
lukeridnour08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:21 AM   #17
JellyBean
College superstar

JellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation here

If I did it all over again, I would still play for coach Jim Calhoun.
JellyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:55 AM   #18
FireMcFailPlease
Loserville USA

FireMcFailPlease has an OK reputation so far

izzo
FireMcFailPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:22 PM   #19
23ajay
LA champions again

23ajay has an OK reputation so far

Roy williams rick pitino or tom izzo
23ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:47 PM   #20
DwadeOverLebron
High School Varsity 6th Man

DwadeOverLebron has an OK reputation so far

1. John Calipari- Something about him when i see him in interviews and i see/hear him talking about his players... just makes me want to play for him, reminds me of my old high school coach! Great communicator, and very open to different coaching strategies according to the type of talent that he has. I remember him talking about implementing a offensive system he called organized chaos in which he got from a high school basketball coach, coach cal took that coach out to dinner and asked him to tell him everything about it... LOL you gotta love the fact that admitted this on television.

2. Mike Krzyzweski- Its DUKE! Its Coach K!

3. Bruce Weber- It's ILLINOIS!

4. Bob Knight- I think I would have made the NBA if he coached me!

5. Mike Ditka- It's DA KOHCH!
DwadeOverLebron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 02:11 AM   #21
memphismania101
Can barely lace up my sneakers

memphismania101 has an OK reputation so far

Josh Pastner
memphismania101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:33 AM   #22
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

TheGame414 has decent reputationTheGame414 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphismania101
Josh Pastner
Why, specifically?
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:49 AM   #23
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwadeOverLebron
1. John Calipari- Something about him when i see him in interviews and i see/hear him talking about his players... just makes me want to play for him, reminds me of my old high school coach! Great communicator, and very open to different coaching strategies according to the type of talent that he has. I remember him talking about implementing a offensive system he called organized chaos in which he got from a high school basketball coach, coach cal took that coach out to dinner and asked him to tell him everything about it... LOL you gotta love the fact that admitted this on television.
I'm not convinced that Cal is doing anything to get guys to the NBA as much as he's getting extremely talented guys that would be going to the NBA if I was their coach. Did he really do anything for Derrick Rose or Tyreke Evans? We already knew those guys were absurdly talented and they could've played for anyone and been lottery picks.

For all the hype about the dribble-drive motion- and it does create matchup problems and let players display their skills- they've finished No. 25, 4, 24, 29 and 56 in offensive efficiency since they started using it. The year they finished No. 4 was their peak year when they returned everything from a 33-win team and added Derrick Rose as their point guard, which can rightfully be called an outlier. And there's also this myth that's a fast-paced offense; it isn't. They've ranked No. 147, 87, 76, 23 and 126 in adjusted pace. So in one single season running that offense have they played fast.

It's not a very disciplined offense and I'm not convinced it does much in the way of skill development.

Combine that with the fact that Calipari doesn't yet have a track record of succeeding in a major conference- not that I don't think he will- and the fact that he's a total creep, and I would never want to play for him. Seriously, I feel like I need a shower after watching him be interviewed. If he told me I was on fire, I wouldn't believe him until I saw my skin melting.

Plus, I'd like to win without constantly being worried that my program's about to go on probation, or worse.

Last edited by TheGame414 : 05-27-2009 at 01:27 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:34 PM   #24
memphismania101

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGame414
I'm not convinced that Cal is doing anything to get guys to the NBA as much as he's getting extremely talented guys that would be going to the NBA if I was their coach. Did he really do anything for Derrick Rose or Tyreke Evans? We already knew those guys were absurdly talented and they could've played for anyone and been lottery picks.

For all the hype about the dribble-drive motion- and it does create matchup problems and let players display their skills- they've finished No. 25, 4, 24, 29 and 56 in offensive efficiency since they started using it. The year they finished No. 4 was their peak year when they returned everything from a 33-win team and added Derrick Rose as their point guard, which can rightfully be called an outlier. And there's also this myth that's a fast-paced offense; it isn't. They've ranked No. 147, 87, 76, 23 and 126 in adjusted pace. So in one single season running that offense have they played fast.

It's not a very disciplined offense and I'm not convinced it does much in the way of skill development.

Combine that with the fact that Calipari doesn't yet have a track record of succeeding in a major conference- not that I don't think he will- and the fact that he's a total creep, and I would never want to play for him. Seriously, I feel like I need a shower after watching him be interviewed. If he told me I was on fire, I wouldn't believe him until I saw my skin melting.

Plus, I'd like to win without constantly being worried that my program's about to go on probation, or worse.

You are correct. He didn't do anything spectacular with Derrick Rose. I mean Rose was NBA ready his junior year of High School. The only thing he did with Evans was move him to the point.
You are also correct here. The DDM isn't an offense, and Memphis hasn't ran it since the 2007-2008 season. It's more of a recruiting tool than it is an offense.
Cal is a terrible bench coach. Only one example needed. Up nine with 2:12 to play.
And with the whole probation stuff. He is a very shady recruiter. How do you think he could get the best prospect out of Detroit, Chicago, Raleigh NC, and pretty much nationwide? William Wesley, more commonly known as World Wide Wes.

and answering why would I play for Josh Pastner. It's Memphis.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:02 PM   #25
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphismania101
And with the whole probation stuff. He is a very shady recruiter. How do you think he could get the best prospect out of Detroit, Chicago, Raleigh NC, and pretty much nationwide? William Wesley, more commonly known as World Wide Wes.
Wes is friends with a lot of people, and helps a lot of people. He's friends with Illinois assistant Jerrance Howard and that certainly can't hurt us. So it's more than just that with him.

Quote:
and answering why would I play for Josh Pastner. It's Memphis.
Well, that's pretty much just saying where you want to play, not who you want to play for. I'd want to play for Illinois but even though Bruce Weber is a very good coach I'm not sure he'd be on my list of the first three or four coaches I'd want to play for.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:09 AM   #26
memphismania101

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGame414
Wes is friends with a lot of people, and helps a lot of people. He's friends with Illinois assistant Jerrance Howard and that certainly can't hurt us. So it's more than just that with him.

Well, that's pretty much just saying where you want to play, not who you want to play for. I'd want to play for Illinois but even though Bruce Weber is a very good coach I'm not sure he'd be on my list of the first three or four coaches I'd want to play for.

Did I call it or what? Well technically, I didn't but still, you see what I mean. And UK and Cal will say they/he didn't know anything about it, but seriously, Cal was the AD when he was at Memphis. The actual AD, R.C. Johnson, succumbed to everything Calipari wanted. So to say that Cal didn't know about this is a lie.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:44 AM   #27
IlliniFan
Very good NBA starter

IlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I don't know about a lot of coaches, but I think I would really benefit from playing under Weber. I'm very willing to play defense, but my technique leaves a lot to be desired. If Weber does anything well, it is teaching his team how to play defense, even if you don't have all the athletic tools necessary. He will teach you good team defense. And the motion offense is all about finding someone an open look, and I am a good spot up shooter. I also like the constant movement on offense, I really think I would excel in the motion. He might not be the easiest coach to play for, but I think I would gain more from him in terms of improving my game than from most other coaches.
IlliniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:50 PM   #28
Whiteness
Banned

Whiteness has no real reputation yet.

Anyone but Mike Brown
Whiteness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:01 PM   #29
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteness
Anyone but Mike Brown

Welcome to the college forum.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 03:45 AM   #30
takeittothehoop
ISH Lurker

takeittothehoop has an incredible reputation heretakeittothehoop has an incredible reputation heretakeittothehoop has an incredible reputation heretakeittothehoop has an incredible reputation heretakeittothehoop has an incredible reputation heretakeittothehoop has an incredible reputation heretakeittothehoop has an incredible reputation heretakeittothehoop has an incredible reputation here

If it's out of current coaches probably..

a) Roy Williams, UNC (I think he'd give good advice and wouldn't put as much pressure on you compared to other coaches)

b) Tom Izzo, Michigan State (Talented coach that seems to know the game like no other. He'll teach you all you need to know"

c) Bruce Pearl ,Tennessee(Passionate, Firey coach that would definetly get you to play with all you've got)

d) Ben Howland, UCLA (Seems to employ a great defense and boy do I love playing D. And besides that all you do is shoot at UCLA. Sounds fun to me)
takeittothehoop is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: