Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    NBA Superstar

Default Re: Finishing in traffic...

Quote Originally Posted by NY-Knicks
    look at Derek Fisher, he often goes to the bucket looking to draw a foul, the priority isn't mainly to make the shot but to get to the line, get easy points and get the other team in foul trouble.
    It may be personal preference but my priority is always to make the shot. I never want to make a move based off of drawing a whistle from an official. That whistle may never come. I know often it may look like players are trying to draw contact but most often, it's just a bi-product of an aggressive attack.

From my experience, attacking and prioritizing drawing a foul over finishing is just asking for trouble. I believe that will actually harm one's ability to finish in traffic. When I'm getting to the rim, I'm concentrating on doing whatever I need to do to make my shot. If a foul happens, it happens.

^^^ I agree... and I think it explains why Derek is a terrible finisher

yes of course you also focus on making the shot. Misunderstood there.
    Your priority in this situation should be to get the contact with the defender to create a whistle. If you get inside often those calls will come your way. And Derek Fisher is a great example of a player creating contact to get to the foul line (although he is a terrible finisher, I agree).

This is what they teach guards at serious camps.
    1. Focus on getting into the paint, obviously if you have the open J shoot it but if not fight and battle to get by your defender with jabs, fakes and dribbles.
    2. Once your in the paint if no one steps up just take a pullup jumper or a nice floater, these are paint shots that are high percentage and are good shots no matter where you play.
    3. If a big man steps up or help comes drive hard at them, stop to two feet and either lay it in, use fakes to get off your shot, or look for the assist.
    Once you do this a few times you'll gain the confidence and reading ability to make moves like the eurostep or the "rondo" up and under when needed.

Super Ultra Sexy Hero SinJackal's Avatar

This is probably obvious, but if you're having trouble getting around people, you can always opt to pick up your dribble early and go for a teardrop or giant killer. It's much easier to get around players when you don't have to dribble, so take as many extra steps as possible and try not to finish off just one step, keeping the ball away from the defender as you're trying to get around them or go up for a shot.

Also, try to slightly raise one of your knees whenever you go up for a shot, which will lessen the impact on your body if you come in to contact with players. Don't throw knees or anything, just try raise it up and let that touch the other players first so you don't get the air knocked out of you or anything.

Only thing else I can think of is to try and geta feel for what hand players usually try to block you with. Sometimes you can catch them snoozing by changing your shot location while you're in the air by going away from their dominant shot blocking hand. Some righties will go for right handed blocks despite it being easier to go lefty to block other righties.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Yep, just like everyone said it's about aggression. That's why the big and strong muscular guys ram through a traffic of 4 people in a pick up game. The same goes for a guy who looks destructive lol(you know like the braids/tattoos/). even though he's like 5'8.

For me though, I like to mess around with the traffic. Like, I pretend to do the kobe 1000 fake pumpshots/hesitation dribble and doing a maniac face in the air/tell them exactly what I'm going to do but with a twist if they react to it accordingly.

Decent playground baller Lancerballer21's Avatar

Im not much of a guard, nor have i ever been so i dont really drive in the paint very much, but when im playin like three-on-three i sometimes go to the hole. One thing that has helped me a lot with finishing in traffic is post moves. If u can try and find someone taller than u and just practice post moves. Doing this helps u get used to shooting over a bigger defender and u learn the kind of things that get bigs off their feet real quick.

Hope it helps u, it definitely helps me

Quote Originally Posted by Lancerballer21
    Im not much of a guard, nor have i ever been so i dont really drive in the paint very much, but when im playin like three-on-three i sometimes go to the hole. One thing that has helped me a lot with finishing in traffic is post moves. If u can try and find someone taller than u and just practice post moves. Doing this helps u get used to shooting over a bigger defender and u learn the kind of things that get bigs off their feet real quick.

Hope it helps u, it definitely helps me
    I agree with this big time. My buddy who I go up against a lot 1 on 1 is 3 inches taller than me (and at this point can jump way higher) and I post him up for this very reason. It's easy to post people your own height... but a bigger guy you have to be more methodical. You have to seek body contact with bigger guys because it will make them smaller. If you bang into them when you make your move... they won't be able to contest.

I think the main thing about real game 5 on 5 full court finishing is that its mostly about athletiscm, if you feel your more athletics/stronger/taller than the guy your trying to finish on on a fastbreak you probobly will. I remember one iverson highlights youtube clip is him on a fastbreak jumping into LeBron and throwing it up, but it goes in, just shows you anyone can finish over anyone if they go strong/ with confidence

Quote Originally Posted by dwadefan11
    I think the main thing about real game 5 on 5 full court finishing is that its mostly about athletiscm, if you feel your more athletics/stronger/taller than the guy your trying to finish on on a fastbreak you probobly will. I remember one iverson highlights youtube clip is him on a fastbreak jumping into LeBron and throwing it up, but it goes in, just shows you anyone can finish over anyone if they go strong/ with confidence
    You definitely can't be scared that's for sure. Body control is huge when finishing against taller players.... the ability to maneuver in just the right ways to get your shot off. Being able to hang in the air for a long time helps too. It really takes a lot of experience tho. Most people aren't going to be able to finish through a good contest... the trick is making a good contest a not so good one... and that's where the experience comes in. You will know what you have to do to get the guy off balance etc.

Learning to shoot layups ghettoracer's Avatar

2 weapons that's really helpful to finish in traffic (at least for myself) are

- jump stop (before you pick up your dribble jump off one feet) which will give you tons of options and give you time to read the defense. you can finish off in a variety of ways such as, 1 leg jump right into a floating shot, land on both feet at the same time (which you can pivot off either). you can add pivot fake, then jump shot, or straight into jump shot, or often you can split the defense if you know how to pivot properly and jump with both feet... the option is endless. you can still add hook shots and fade aways too.

- pivot foot work: i like to think of pivoting as giving yourself basically a 6 feet circle to decide where in this circle you will take the shot.

good use of the combination above will get you by just about anybody. the defense has to react so they are always at a slight disadvantage so if you have polished skills and a strong mind you can take the defense apart.

naturally you need to be able to finish around the rim in a wide variety of ways already.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by dwadefan11
    I've never been a really big Allen Iverson fan but I have to say, he was responsible for a big revelation I had regarding attacking the paint and finishing. He was an incredible basketball player and he was able to always find ways to elude and finish over players often a foot taller than him. Recognizing the ways he made this happen while also acknowledging 1) I'm not on Iverson's level and 2) none of my defenders are on Iverson's defenders level, made me significantly more optimistic about attacking and discovering effective ways to finish even over the tallest of defenders.

Also taking the LeBron reference into account, I think it can be beneficial to try to adopt his philosophy for attacking the rack as well. Sometimes you just have to go out there and hit somebody. If a defender wants to move into me while I'm driving, I try to make it suck for him. The majority of the time I'm the one coming down with the full head of steam - I like when they contest.

Quote Originally Posted by scm5
    I am more of an outside shooter, and I'm fairly quick and can get easy layups if there's a lapse in the defense. However, I don't excel at driving into traffic and finishing. I'm wondering how I could improve this aspect of my game.

Is it my mentality?

It's nature imo....but you can improve.

Try practicing with a buddy.

Have him pass you the ball.....ball fake/do one of your 'rips' and fly to the bucket.....have him foul the crap out of you every time you go up [or fake a hit or make a slight bump, lol].

Saw a basketball once

I used to have the same problem where I settled for outside shots which didnt help my finishing ability. I think good concentration and body control make a good finisher. Now, I am a very good finisher. Sometimes youll get lucky. Practice driving and finishing anytime your playing and you should pick it up.

Saw a basketball once

Here's something that I do a lot when I'm coming from the wing in to traffic. Take a jab to the baseline then take a couple dribbles towards the paint and find a spot where you know want to land. As you go up, bring the ball behind your head, almost like you are going to dunk it. This gives shot blocking people less of an angle. Then absorb the contact and as you begin landing you should be able to generate enough strength to get the ball on the rim and at least get a couple free throws out of it.