Decent playground baller

Default Home Court Advantage: How Does It Benefit Home Teams, Hurt Road Teams?

Mike D'Antoni wants to coach the Denver Nuggets and I read an article about how playing in Denver's court is a benefit because of its high altitude, which makes sense since the Hawks got their shit pushed in last night (LMAO - this thread title made my stomach hurt from laughing so hard, I had to say that, I'm not trolling).

I never understood HCA and why teams want it so badly, so I guess Denver is an example. What are other benefits?

I know being on your home court means you have rest.

I know being on the road hurts you because of travel, but that's all I can think of. I would love to know more about this since the playoffs are approaching.

Decent college freshman

Default Re: Home Court Advantage: How Does It Benefit Home Teams, Hurt Road Teams?

Quote Originally Posted by Koresh
    Mike D'Antoni wants to coach the Denver Nuggets and I read an article about how playing in Denver's court is a benefit because of its high altitude, which makes sense since the Hawks got their shit pushed in last night (LMAO - this thread title made my stomach hurt from laughing so hard, I had to say that, I'm not trolling).

I never understood HCA and why teams want it so badly, so I guess Denver is an example. What are other benefits?

I know being on your home court means you have rest.

I know being on the road hurts you because of travel, but that's all I can think of. I would love to know more about this since the playoffs are approaching.
    Anecdotally, people think role players are more comfortable at home and feed off the crowd's energy, so they're more productive. Historically, home teams have a higher winning % (I think Zach Lowe & Bill Simmons said a couple decades back home teams won up to 60-65% of games). It's also thought that the reffing has gotten more balanced. It's interesting that as the league has recently publicly supported legalized sports betting that the home winning % has trended downward to low-to-mid 50s.

Regarding the altitude- the environment can just be a hard place to play in physically. That's a nifty little advantage from a conditioning standpoint.

Default Re: Home Court Advantage: How Does It Benefit Home Teams, Hurt Road Teams?

Studies have proven that on a subconscious level most refs favor home teams, especially on 50/50 calls. Plus many role players have admitted to feeling more confident and comfortable on their home floor.

Tolerant Liberals

Quote Originally Posted by JT123
    Studies have proven that on a subconscious level most refs favor home teams, especially on 50/50 calls. Plus many role players have admitted to feeling more confident and comfortable on their home floor.
    Id like to see the source. It would be interesting if we could get breakdown of total fouls by away/home team, with filters applied.

In regular season, home teams generally outscore their opp by 3pp Wonder how much this is in playoffs.

stars are generally not affected by hostile crowds. but scrubs do. they aren't emotionally as strong as stars and suffer jitters and slumps when the crowd is hostile.

refs too are affected by crowds. in a 50/50 call, they'd favor the home team more.