Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Default Re: Spurs waive Stephen Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by BasedTom

What is even the point of waiving players this close to the playoffs? SJax is a great talent and the Spurs just got rid of him for nothing. There must have been some SERIOUS locker room trouble with him to warrant this move.
    Jax hasn't been in a "great talent" in a good while. He's probably done in the NBA.

Local High School Star fragokota's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alexd
    yeah but with moves like these he keeps his locker room in place.you get attitude and cause problems?gtfo we don t need you.it s coach first and players after.not the other way around.for spurs a players attitude is more important than his talent.i believe pop had reasons to let him loose.spurs is a serious organization that think twice before they act on everything like who players they get who draft etc etc
    i believe this is the main reason why he got dropped.locker room peace,role hierarchy and team chemistry is very higly regarded in spurs franchise

Very good NBA starter

SJackson stats in the months prior to April

Feb: 16 mpg, 5 ppg (.38 FG%) ... Spurs 8 wins/3 losses

Mar: 16 mpg, 5 ppg (.40 FG%) ... Spurs 10 wins/4 losses

- I don't think the Spurs are really reliant on him like say GS was a handful of years ago. Jackson is aged and temperamental, but he does provide a defensive intensity. If he's gone right now, like this, it wouldn't surprise me if some of the Spurs best players (Duncan in particular) even saw this coming. This def seems like somewhat of a premeditated move, as reported.

Quote Originally Posted by fragokota
    i believe this is the main reason why he got dropped.locker room peace,role hierarchy and team chemistry is very higly regarded in spurs franchise
    But is that enough reason to waive him this late in the season? It's the playoffs, you stick with what you have until you win or lose. He was off the books after this season anyway. It would only make sense if they sign someone during the next few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Droid101
    I'm baffled. First dumb move by the Spurs since the Scola trade that I can think of off hand.
    Don't assume it was a dumb move. Jackson can be a huge pain in the butt. Maybe something had gone beyond repairable.

Spurs have certainly earned the benefit of the doubt from NBA fans over the years. Clearly more than Jackson ever did.

Local High School Star fragokota's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker
    But is that enough reason to waive him this late in the season? It's the playoffs, you stick with what you have until you win or lose. He was off the books after this season anyway. It would only make sense if they sign someone during the next few days.
    No one doubts that this move could hurt them in the short term,hell i bet even pop and the management acknowledges that,but in the long term moves like that have made the spurs who they are.when there is a problem you better deal with it firmly and while it's still in the beggining so you can set the example

College star

Quote Originally Posted by daily
    Don't assume it was a dumb move. Jackson can be a huge pain in the butt. Maybe something had gone beyond repairable.

Spurs have certainly earned the benefit of the doubt from NBA fans over the years. Clearly more than Jackson ever did.
    You stick with what you got until your season ends with a title or elimination at this point. Especially when your roster is dropping like flies.

I know he wan't playing particularly well this year, but as a Thunder fan I'm still glad to see him go. It seemed like he never missed from three in the WCF last year and he could actually somewhat effectively guard Durant.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 1h

Gregg Popovich and Stephen Jackson have been sparring over Jax's role throughout season; disagreements resurfaced this week, source tells Y!

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 1h

Spurs and Jackson discussed a release prior to trade deadline, but sides agreed to go forward together for rest of season, source says.

Spurs gonna get worked over by OKC for sure now if they meet in the playoffs.

I am your soldier!

That just doesn't even make sense. Why get rid of him now? I mean it's been this long, just wait until the season is over. He's not going to hurt you as a backup SF.

I'm pretty baffled.

He would be a good backup for KD next season. Good acquisition if signed for cheap for anybody.

Dude pretty much carried the Spurs in Game 6 of last year's WCF.

What an incredible dick move by the Spurs organization to wait he's ineligible to be picked up for the playoffs.