Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    National High School Star vinsane01's Avatar

Default Re: Would you trade Greg Oden for Tim Duncan?

yey first post!

trading an experienced and tested player for a new guy whose only promise is potential is totally idiotic. Plus Duncan is considered to be the best power forward the game has ever seen! no way the spurs will do this, or even cross their minds. Even when duncan will be 35 and averages 15 and 5..

Quite frankly if I'm the SPURS I'd do it.

For stupid reasons, but I'd do it. First of all they're going to have 4 rings after this season. I'd be happy with that for the next few years, plus with Oden they'd atleast be a playoff team. Maybe, if Oden is for real then they compete again in 3-5 years. That way they can certainly add some time to their time of being a top franchise.

But again that's just me saying I'd be satisfied with the 4 rings the Spurs are about to have. Im sure there are more fans and organizations that wouldn't be. And that may also have something to do with the fact that I haven't backed a team that has won a ring since the Bulls.

Decent playground baller jerky10's Avatar

Oden's unproven potential for Duncan's dominance?

If I were the Spurs I'd only accept that proposal if the package includes ZBo, Oden, huge expiring contract, and 2 future 1st rnd picks (lottery protected)

Quote Originally Posted by jerky10
    Oden's unproven potential for Duncan's dominance?

If I were the Spurs I'd only accept that proposal if the package includes ZBo, Oden, huge expiring contract, and 2 future 1st rnd picks (lottery protected)

Is that a joke? I'm certain the Blazers wouldn't take Duncan for their first round pick this year, let alone the rest of what you wrote. No Zach, no picks for SA, if we decided to let SA get Oden. They don't have the value that Blazers have with Oden. Now go rob a bank with a knife.

Decent playground baller jerky10's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RoseCity07
    Is that a joke? I'm certain the Blazers wouldn't take Duncan for their first round pick this year, let alone the rest of what you wrote. No Zach, no picks for SA, if we decided to let SA get Oden. They don't have the value that Blazers have with Oden. Now go rob a bank with a knife.
    Read the thread title. It asked "Would you trade Greg Oden for Tim Duncan?"
    Just answer the question by yourself instead of arguing with my point.

Krust Kingz

Yes I know what I am getting with Duncan. He hasnt had major injuries and stays consistent. If he plays 4 or more years I'd do it!

Local High School Star WoGiTaLiA1's Avatar

Tim duncan is someone that will retire in the next 3 -4 years Oden is someone who will retire in 10 - 15 years

3 - 4 < 10 - 15 its about how long you want spurs to be a competitor in the NBA with a dominant big man.
    Magic's 3-4 years with Shaq >>> The 10 years since.

Miami's 3-4 years with Shaq>>> The rest of their history.

It would be a tough trade to make but Duncan is the one guy in the NBA that gives you a legit shot at a title. I think that makes you do the deal. You never know what will happen in the future so take the now while you can.

I mean there have been much better prospects than Oden that have failed miserably or not won their team a title. Guys like Ewing, Bias and Coleman all come to mind. Hell Mutombo never won his team a title and if Oden is that good in 4 years time then Portland should be very happy.

Oden is an excellent prospect. Duncan is a great player.

Another Laker Dynasty? bleedinpurpleTwo's Avatar

If I'm the Spurs...yes, in a heartbeat.
    If I'm Portland...no way.

Understand, folks, that Oden is a franchise player for the next 12 years or more (yes, even though he hasn't played a game, it easy enuf to tell he will become dominant). Duncan is an all-star for another, what, 2 years? maybe 3?

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Quote Originally Posted by WoGiTaLiA1
    I mean there have been much better prospects than Oden that have failed miserably or not won their team a title. Guys like Ewing, Bias and Coleman all come to mind. .
    Are you sure about that?
    You can say "there have been much better prospects than Oden" then give some names like Hakeem, Shaq, D-Rob (hell even those guys are not much better prospects imo); but please don't list names like Coleman, and Bias? He wasn't a 7 foot center and he died before entering the nba, Ewing has a case, but he wasn't a better prospect than Oden.

Hell Mutombo never won his team a title and if Oden is that good in 4 years time then Portland should be very happy.
    imo Oden will be at least as good as prime Mutombo in 2 years and better thereafter.

Are you sure about that?
    You can say "there have been much better prospects than Oden" then give some names like Hakeem, Shaq, D-Rob (hell even those guys are not much better prospects imo); but please don't list names like Coleman, and Bias? He wasn't a 7 foot center and he died before entering the nba, Ewing has a case, but he wasn't a better prospect than Oden.
    Oden is being overhyped. He is a top prospect but what has he got over someone like Okafor other than age? Okafor was better on offense and defense in college. Don't get me wrong, Oden is a better prospect but it's not that big a margin. Ewing was easily a better prospect, Ewing may be the most hyped player other than LeBron ever. Coleman was at least as good a prospect as Oden. Coleman is one of the best offensive players ever as a prospect. He didnt have the hype of Oden, but as a prospect he was better.

imo Oden will be at least as good as prime Mutombo in 2 years and better thereafter.
    That's a massive call there. Mutombo in his prime was a far better defender than Oden is right now. He was also much better offensively. Oden should be great but he wont be that good in 2 years. Prime Mutombo would be the best center in the league right now. I still think that Mutombo is the best comparison right now. Oden has a lot of work to do offensively, with the way that Stern is hunting defense and trying to eliminate it you have to be careful building around a guy who right now isnt going to be a good player offensively. I mean offensively Oden is worse than guys like Okafor, Kaman and Bogut were and none of them are doing very well offensively in the league.

Tim Duncan and LeBron are the two players I would trade Oden for. I wouldn't need to think about it. LeBron is the manufactured marketing toy, he is cash and he can play a bit. Duncan is the best player in the league by a vast distance and is going to give his team a shot at the title for another 3 or so years you have to believe.

Oden needs to improve a long way if he is going to be that guy. Guys like Mourning, Robinson, Ewing, Daugherty, Coleman and Mutombo who were better players coming out of college couldn't get their teams titles. Admittably the league has fallen a long way since those guys were around and a couple failed for reasons other than a lack of talent, but has the league fallen enough that Oden is going to give you a shot at the title? Especially when you cant even be certain he will be there in 5 years time?

Another Laker Dynasty? bleedinpurpleTwo's Avatar

Oden is being overhyped. He is a top prospect but what has he got over someone like Okafor other than age?
    remember you said that 2 years from now when he becomes a perennial all-star.

over Okafor? Well, he's bigger, taller and just as smart and hard working. This guy is a taller, stronger Dwight Howard. He is a legit Center...not just a PF playing center (Okafor).

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Fudge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RoseCity07
    They obviously wouldn't trade the pick alone for Duncan, buddy.

Very good NBA starter wally_world's Avatar

depends on what you get along with Duncan and what you add along because Oden as a rookie won't match TD's salary... TD is older but if they throw in Parker/Ginobili it might be a good take...

I dont doubt he will be. If Okafor could stay healthy though he would have a legit shot also. Being a center is going to basically guarentee him a spot. He will be a very good player, at least I think he will, but right now he raw player with potential and personally I'll trade that for a shot at the next 3 titles. Perhaps I feel that way because of what happened with Shaq. I mean the Magic got the best prospect of my lifetime and have nothing to show for it, I imagine we probably could have a title if we had traded him for Jordan or Hakeem though. Shaq was a far better prospect than Oden. It would be a huge trade and I'm not sure I'd make it if Im Portland because they aren't built to win right now but in the hypothetical of I'm starting a team with one of them right now, I would take Duncan if I could because you just dont know what will happen in 5 years time. Oden could be playing in LA or Orlando by then.

NBA rookie of the year Da KO King's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bleedinpurpleTwo

over Okafor? Well, he's bigger, taller and just as smart and hard working. This guy is a taller, stronger Dwight Howard. He is a legit Center...not just a PF playing center (Okafor).

If Sports Illustrated is credited with creating the hype on Tony Mandarich, and Chad Ford is credited with jump starting the Darko Milicic hype machine, who will get credit for Oden-mania?

Okafor is 6'11" 255 lbs and Howard is 6'11" 260 lbs. Oden is 7' 257 lbs so he hardly qualifies as bigger and stronger. "Just as smart and hard working" is surely up for debate considering you know little to nothing about Greg Oden's work ethic.

I do know Emeka Okafor has a long history showing his work ethic. Enrolled in school early at UConn, graduated in 3 years, played through a sprained ankle when he got the chance to play for Team USA in Greece, and has worked with Hakeem Olajuwon during the off-season on his game.

What exactly can you point to with Oden??? While you are at it, explain what makes Oden a legit C and Okafor a PF masquerading as one?