Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-30-2012, 11:15 PM   #16
SlayerEnraged
Banned

SlayerEnraged has a bad reputationSlayerEnraged has a bad reputationSlayerEnraged has a bad reputation
Default Re: Question about citations and plagarism for scientific papers

Idk, I really think the whole plagarism thing is a joke...People r way to sensitive about copying/pasting...
SlayerEnraged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:17 PM   #17
rawimpact
Banned

rawimpact is a pretty well-respected posterrawimpact is a pretty well-respected posterrawimpact is a pretty well-respected posterrawimpact is a pretty well-respected poster

Assuming this is 6th edition APA we are referring to, regardless of what Purdue says, that's plagiarism. For you to quote word for word without any quotations (even with Last name, Year, P.) you need above a certain amount of words to have it in block form. And that alone has a different formatting style such indentation, single spaced and the period being placed before the citation parenthesis.

You may think the professor is being a hard-ass, but citing wrong can warrant a loss in credentials. There are literally hundreds of books written about 6th edition APA, grab one off of amazon for a buck...

Also, some journals/formal entries do not accept quotations like your professor stated. For biology, chemistry etc., one must paraphrase external sources. However, sciences such as human communication allows quotations under the formatting i described above.
rawimpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:22 PM   #18
LBJMVP
Cavaliers!

LBJMVP is considered somewhat coolLBJMVP is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlayerEnraged
Idk, I really think the whole plagarism thing is a joke...People r way to sensitive about copying/pasting...

i kind of agree... as long as you cite where you got the information from and accidentally forget the apostrophes i dont get why it matters.

abviously you cant just copy and past anything into your report because the is clearly cheating.
LBJMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:25 PM   #19
rawimpact
Banned

rawimpact is a pretty well-respected posterrawimpact is a pretty well-respected posterrawimpact is a pretty well-respected posterrawimpact is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJMVP
i kind of agree... as long as you cite where you got the information from and accidentally forget the apostrophes i dont get why it matters.

abviously you cant just copy and past anything into your report because the is clearly cheating.

It's not about cheating, it's about giving each author credit for the hours of work they've put in to advance the field.
rawimpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:33 PM   #20
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

knickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Did you give credit and/or introduce properly? That may be the reason. I just wrote two research papers last week so..

Did you do this? example

According to Matthews(1994) he stated about the scientific plans, "QUOTE" (pg 14)

I know that's a correct way for citing in APA format..
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:35 PM   #21
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbreakable
Ok so I missed the quotes, but is it technically plagiarism? Seems more like a grammatical error to me. I lost 40% because of plaigarism.
By not using the quotes properly, you are claiming them as your own sentences. Even if the prof knows you didnt realize it, its a fairly big deal. Citations are for referencing someone else's ideas in your own words.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:48 PM   #22
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

KevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
By not using the quotes properly, you are claiming them as your own sentences. Even if the prof knows you didnt realize it, its a fairly big deal. Citations are for referencing someone else's ideas in your own words.

Right. There's a big difference between a reference and a quote. There's a perception of honesty. If the professor thinks you're trying to bullshit him, you can understand why he would take 40%.

Perhaps you could try to convince him, it was an honest error and see if there's perhaps, an extra credit assignment you could do to make it up.
KevinNYC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:00 AM   #23
Velocirap31
Decent college freshman

Velocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation here

I agree with citing and quoting sources to give credit to the original person, but I hate how we had to cite in a certain format (APA, MLA, etc.). Each format had minor differences and if you didn't do it correctly, you were docked major marks.
Velocirap31 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: