Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
       

Default Is it possible that we overestimate ourselves?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Default Re: Is it possible that we overestimate ourselves?

Decent playground baller LikeMike's Avatar

Most people do overestimate themselves. They think they are above average, but a majority cannot be above average.

While I don't think humans as a whole are THAT special in the spectrum of the entire universe I do think however people underrate the aspect of one element of human existence. There will never be another you in the history of human beings, ever. Who you are will never exist again. That's pretty profound in itself and I don't think enough people see their self worth in that area.

Banned

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by oh the horror
    While I don't think humans as a whole are THAT special in the spectrum of the entire universe I do think however people underrate the aspect of one element of human existence. There will never be another you in the history of human beings, ever. Who you are will never exist again. That's pretty profound in itself and I don't think enough people see their self worth in that area.
    According to many scientific theories, there are actually an infinite amount of beings out there identical to each of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    According to many scientific theories, there are actually an infinite amount of beings out there identical to each of us.

Are we talking about parallel universes ?

National High School Star

You are an idiot. This is exactly the problem. Everyone thinks they are special. There is someone out there just like you. Maybe not exactly the same, but close enough. No dog is out there like....oh i'm so unique...no one is like me. The sad truth is that we are all very much alike, and our desire to stand out and be seen as different is what creates all the hate and problems in the world. We seek to differentiate ourselves and as such identify so strongly with a group of friends, a religion, a church, a country, etc. Then, within those groups we seek to further distinguish ourselves as individuals creating even further internal conflicts.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sundizz
    You are an idiot. This is exactly the problem. Everyone thinks they are special. There is someone out there just like you. Maybe not exactly the same, but close enough. No dog is out there like....oh i'm so unique...no one is like me. The sad truth is that we are all very much alike, and our desire to stand out and be seen as different is what creates all the hate and problems in the world. We seek to differentiate ourselves and as such identify so strongly with a group of friends, a religion, a church, a country, etc. Then, within those groups we seek to further distinguish ourselves as individuals creating even further internal conflicts.

This song was inspired by and written about ME

We are nurtured by our parents into believing that we are special. it's a good thing because it builds confidence. A bad thing because it breeds entitled idiots.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

im special

specially thick

It's actually a proven fact that there are many of you already, existing simultaneously.

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    It's actually a proven fact that there are many of you already, existing simultaneously.

This was proven where? Show me (legitimately asking)

Everyone is special man. Except for you. You're a f*ggot.

Evidently you are a special one then, standing above the petty solipsism of the rest of the human species on your lonesome there. Not to mention that you're essentially saying that all individuals are the same - a patent falsehood, and the world would be a terribly dull and dreary place if such rubbish were true, but luckily, it's only the product of your imagination.

It is differences and eccentricities that give the world its vibrancy, colour and interest - which is partly why uniformity of character is a clear sign of cultural decadence; I find it amusing that in this modern era of 'tolerance' and the multicultural 'diversity' obsession, we seem to be less tolerant then ever of individual eccentricities of character and opinion. Maybe it is that the Democratic dogma has so infested your mind as to render your opinions absurd - yes, it is in striving to be the same, to be mediocre, a kind of mass man, if you like, that mankind makes all its advances ; and it is from the striving for distinction, the want to be different (most people like to be the same, or 'fit in' btw - and this innate tribalism and tendency towards group-think is the driving power behind the bulk of human atrocities), or exceptional, that all the banes of the world have stemmed. What utter rubbish: the human motive towards distinction, prestige and achievement is driving force of human development and progress - the motive toward conformity has the opposite effect, and has been shown to make individual people deny what they know to be true, simply because other people have drawn the same conclusion (see Asch conformity experiments).

And some people are genuinely singular and downright inimitable (John Randolph of Roanoke, for example - you won't find anyone else at all like him) - history is littered with the examples of such men, though they are increasingly infrequent in this Democratic age, with its triumph of mediocrity (exemplified in your incredibly stupid post), and equalising of standards.

edit: as for the thread, from my experience people tend to overestimate themselves, but concomitantly underestimate the life they are living (tendency towards dissatisfaction, thinking other people have it better, and so on).
    Last edited by Dresta; 11-26-2015 at 01:01 PM.