Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 05-12-2007, 08:54 PM   #1
nicknamefrank
Serious playground baller

nicknamefrank has an OK reputation so far
Default How did we get to Ground Zero?

I don't understand the importance of trading in this offeason. Maybe I think if we look at the big picture, some of you may not be too enthusiastic about all these trading ideas and of Mitch answering Kobe's Ultimatum.

After Shaquille O'neal left the lakers, that is when the Lakers were at ground 0. They had no team chemistry, and there was no Phil Jackson.

Phil Jackson came back in the following season, helping the lakers to clinch the 7th seed with 45-37, almost beating the Suns in the first round. That is when people said that the Lakers are beginning to become better, and I think Kobe stated that it would take a while to build a championship team, and certaintly, they can't be champions after only 1 year.

Everything is becoming better in the first half of the following season. The Lakers were able to win games without Kobe in the line up in the first few games. Walton and Bynum were the emerging young talents of the team. Kobe only needed 20+ points for the lakers to win.
The suddenly, the after a tremendous start by the Lakers, the players got injured. Then the whole team fell apart because of these injuries, bearly making the playoffs, and fell to the Suns in 5.

So now, everybody is saying that Kobe doesn't have enough help to improve his team. Why is this? He was satisfied with the roster a year ago, believing that they are getting better. And they did in the beginning of the season, and did horrible only because of these unfortunate injuries. He doesn't need help. If Lakers can do it without Kobe in the beginning of the season, why can't we predict that the kind of promise shown in the beginning of the season won't happen in the next season to come? We have a lot of young talents on the team, and they can progress to no direction but to improve.

Besides, even if the Lakers were to offer a deal to Pacers and get JO, what if he gets injured? Then the Lakers will definitely plunge again. Injuries are things that no one can control, we were unfortunate to have so many this year, but that does not mean we will have it every year.
Don't get me wrong, getting Jermaine O'neal will definitely help this ball club, but there is no need in trading the whole team for an all-star who may or may not bring team chemistry to the team and have so little experience with the triangle offense. If I was the GM, I would probably only pick out a few key role players, instead of going all out for superstars.
nicknamefrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 09:11 PM   #2
bleedinpurple
Decent college freshman

bleedinpurple has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: How did we get to Ground Zero?

I don't disagree entirely. I've said it before...
Kwame is the key to this offseason. His expiring contract is a valuable trading commodity. Use that and the MLE wisely and they could be a vastly improved team.
bleedinpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 10:15 PM   #3
nicknamefrank
Serious playground baller

nicknamefrank has an OK reputation so far

O ok, I must've missed what you've said. B/c all I see in this forum is like "Trades" "trades" and more "Trades"
Some little things can be made, I dont think anything major is an absolute neccessity
nicknamefrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 01:25 AM   #4
Devientz
High school junior varsity star

Devientz has decent reputation

I agree partly. Some people look at the last half of the season as a reason to blow this team up, completely forgetting about their early success this season and in the playoffs last season. Not without reason I guess, but you can't simplly write off the injuries we had and how well we were playing for awhile. Our core does have potential and I think they proved that.

That said, the team, as it is, will never be a team that can contend for a championship. Changes DO need to be made big or small, and thats where the trade threads come from. I tend to agree with you that a big trade isnt necesarily needed, especially if your giving up a player like Odom, but you can't blame people for being excited about potentially getting a player like JO
Devientz is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: