Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Larry Legend

Default Re: Larry Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    The most skilled basketball player of all time...and he's white. Take this L negros. [COLOR="White"]Watch a bunch of people come in and call me racist now for joking around lol[/COLOR]
    All that skill and still not top 5 all time
    [COLOR="White"]racist:)[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Bankaii
    All that skill and still not top 5 all time
    [COLOR="White"]racist:)[/COLOR]
    Lol.
    Top 10 isn't good enough for you?
    All time?

Think about how many players played the game.
    Besides, a healthy Bird would've looked different achivements wise.
    His body really broke down late in his career.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKAT
    Lol.
    Top 10 isn't good enough for you?
    All time?

Think about how many players played the game.
    Besides, a healthy Bird would've looked different achivements wise.
    His body really broke down late in his career.
    I was just joking with Smoke.
    Obviously top 10 of everyone that has ever played basketball is something we can only dream of, so I'd never knock Bird for being it lol.

However, I don't think his GOAT spot would be any different. Even is healthy he'd still be for sure behind MJ, Kareem, Magic, Shaq, Russell, Timmy, and Lebron.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

He is definitely the best ever player/coach/GM combination ever. Some might argue Bill Russell as a better player/coach, but he never got into the front office game.

You have guys like Phil Jackson and ... Isiah Thomas? Joe Dumars?

...has to be Bird.

NBA rookie of the year Da_Realist's Avatar

Jerry West is King Midas.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

I was just joking with Smoke.
    Obviously top 10 of everyone that has ever played basketball is something we can only dream of, so I'd never knock Bird for being it lol.

However, I don't think his GOAT spot would be any different. Even is healthy he'd still be for sure behind MJ, Kareem, Magic, Shaq, Russell, Timmy, and Lebron.
    I disagree that Magic is greater than Bird...I'd rather have Bird in their respective primes. Tim Duncan is just laughable...it's absurd how overrated this guy has become. Frankly, though, I don't know anyone here or otherwise that has Tim Duncan above Larry Bird...well, besides you now.
    Last edited by Smoke117; 11-20-2016 at 10:16 PM.

I disagree that Magic is greater than Bird...I'd rather have Bird in their respective primes. Tim Duncan is just laughable...it's absurd how overrated this guy has become. Frankly, though, I don't know anyone here or otherwise that has Tim Duncan above Larry Bird, besides you now.
    If I'm building around one or the other I'd rather have Magic. I guess it's a matter of opinion. Even though Magic is routinely ranked higher.

Duncan>Bird career wise is laughable? Put the bottle down Smoke. Duncan is one of the most impactful defenders of all time while Bird doesn't even come close. Accolade wise Duncan wins, in terms of consistency Duncan wins, Duncan has more rings, more FMVPs, etc. Acting like it isn't close it just crazy.

And I'm pretty sure this forum's GOAT list, although not credible at all, had Duncan over Bird, so it's not just me.

I disagree that Magic is greater than Bird...I'd rather have Bird in their respective primes. Tim Duncan is just laughable...it's absurd how overrated this guy has become. Frankly, though, I don't know anyone here or otherwise that has Tim Duncan above Larry Bird...well, besides you now.
    Magic certainly had the greater career than Bird but Bird was a better individual player IMO

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

If I'm building around one or the other I'd rather have Magic. I guess it's a matter of opinion. Even though Magic is routinely ranked higher.

Duncan>Bird career wise is laughable? Put the bottle down Smoke. Duncan is one of the most impactful defenders of all time while Bird doesn't even come close. Accolade wise Duncan wins, in terms of consistency Duncan wins, Duncan has more rings, more FMVPs, etc. Acting like it isn't close it just crazy.

And I'm pretty sure this forum's GOAT list, although not credible at all, had Duncan over Bird, so it's not just me.
    What? Larry Bird won the MVP three times in a row...nobody has done that since him. There is nobody that would take Tim Duncan over Larry bird prime vs prime...NOBODY. And how exactly was Tim Duncan more consistent. Bringing up rings is also a joke considering the competition was much better in Birds time. One of those rings and FMVP came from the 99 season...I don't really believe in asterisks, but the Spurs were basically the only team during the lockout who were actually getting together and practicing on their own, so they had a huge advantage over everyone else. The Knicks and Nets are completely laughable finals opponents compared to what the Celtics were facing.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

The most skilled basketball player of all time...and he's white.
    well.. that's an anticlimactic statement if I ever seen one.

What? Larry Bird won the MVP three times in a row...nobody has done that since him. There is nobody that would take Tim Duncan over Larry bird prime vs prime...NOBODY. And how exactly was Tim Duncan more consistent. Bringing up rings is also a joke considering the competition was much better in Birds time. One of those rings and FMVP came from the 99 season...I don't really believe in asterisks, but the Spurs were basically the only team during the lockout who were actually getting together and practicing on their own, so they had a huge advantage over everyone else. The Knicks and Nets are completely laughable finals opponents compared to what the Celtics were facing.
    We aren't talking prime for prime we're talking about careers. Duncan has the better CAREER, in terms of raw accolades, longevity, All-NBA teams, All-D teams, rings, FMVPs, etc.

And are just supposed to throw Duncan's rings out then? Yea the Lakers were better than what the 2000s East was putting out for the most part but if we're going to be that critical the Russell's rings shouldn't put him anywhere near the top 5, yet he gets GOAT talks. Plus I'm not picking Duncan specifically on ring count.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Your being silly smoke .. Duncan had to contend with stacked Lakers mavs suns thunder heat etc. You wanna knock Duncan, competition is the wrong way to go about it.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Realist
    Jerry West is King Midas.
    Completely slipped my mind. He's right there. He follows the criteria, too... elite player, coach and elite GM.

The most skilled basketball player of all time...and he's white. Take this L negros. [COLOR="White"]Watch a bunch of people come in and call me racist now for joking around lol[/COLOR]
    huh ? You realize black people dominate whites in this sport right? Keep that L bro.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    Completely slipped my mind. He's right there. He follows the criteria, too... elite player, coach and elite GM.

Can you believe Jerry West never won an MVP for the Regular Season?
    And the one FMVP he won was in a losing effort.