Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 10-01-2006, 06:57 PM   #1
mariodeathgrip
incoherent!!!!

mariodeathgrip is considered somewhat coolmariodeathgrip is considered somewhat coolmariodeathgrip is considered somewhat cool
Default Why does everyone say we are way over?

The Knicks enter camp with the highest payroll again - $121 million - and are looking at a luxury tax bill of $56 million. By comparison, the Lakers' entire salary total is $59 million - just $6 mil over the cap and $6 million under the tax threshold.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...p-384755c.html

I saw this and thought some thing was wrong I asumed who ever wrote it didn't include Grant contract Dam I can be a dumb ass sometimes!!!

Last edited by mariodeathgrip : 10-01-2006 at 08:38 PM.
mariodeathgrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 07:11 PM   #2
cyclone_nicky
Can barely lace up my sneakers

cyclone_nicky has an OK reputation so far

we are over for this coming season by over 20 mil. next year we may only be a couple mil under which means we wont have an mle to spend because we are under the cap. here is a chart with our salaries for the next 5 seasons as of now. remember vlads contract counts against the cap for next season as does sasha's and bynums which they didnt add to the totals because they are team options. it looks like we wont see serious cap relief until 07-08.

http://www.*********.com/salaries/la_lakers.htm

i guess they wont let me post the link because its from another site. ill try to find another one.

Last edited by cyclone_nicky : 10-01-2006 at 07:14 PM.
cyclone_nicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 07:20 PM   #3
cyclone_nicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone_nicky
we are over for this coming season by over 20 mil. next year we may only be a couple mil under which means we wont have an mle to spend because we are under the cap. here is a chart with our salaries for the next 5 seasons as of now. remember vlads contract counts against the cap for next season as does sasha's and bynums which they didnt add to the totals because they are team options. it looks like we wont see serious cap relief until 07-08.

http://www.*********.com/salaries/la_lakers.htm

i guess they wont let me post the link because its from another site. ill try to find another one.

i cant find a chart as good as that one but just replace the stars with the words hoops and then hype
Old 10-01-2006, 07:50 PM   #4
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

What do you mean?

every single team has the MLE they can use after they are done spending their cap.

So basically if we had 2 million or w/e to spend...we would have to sign someone for that much first.

Now the hard part is...who wants to sign for 2 million as opposed to 5?

but we will still have the MLE.
lakerfreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 08:50 PM   #5
cyclone_nicky

you are right but it will be difficult to sign someone for 2 mil for one year aand i'm not sure the organization wants to spend another 5 mil towards the cap. i have a feeling that they are going to want to get someone big in after 07-08 but i may be wrong. if we do somehow get kg this season through a trade and it is a big "if", i'd like to see us trying to convince billups to sign for the mle next season.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:07 PM   #6
mariodeathgrip
incoherent!!!!

mariodeathgrip is considered somewhat coolmariodeathgrip is considered somewhat coolmariodeathgrip is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone_nicky
you are right but it will be difficult to sign someone for 2 mil for one year aand i'm not sure the organization wants to spend another 5 mil towards the cap. i have a feeling that they are going to want to get someone big in after 07-08 but i may be wrong. if we do somehow get kg this season through a trade and it is a big "if", i'd like to see us trying to convince billups to sign for the mle next season.

That's a good one!! I agree!!
Old 10-01-2006, 10:42 PM   #7
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

the other issue is that if the Lakers spend money that impacts the salary cap, its like paying double, dollar for dollar. so, when getting an average player that may be worth $2M a year, going over the cap means the Lakers would pay $4M a year for an average player that may not be worth even that. i have heard mitch kupcake say this very thing, perhaps a lot better than i just did.
SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 09:42 AM   #8
dblockallstars
High school junior varsity star

dblockallstars has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
the other issue is that if the Lakers spend money that impacts the salary cap, its like paying double, dollar for dollar. so, when getting an average player that may be worth $2M a year, going over the cap means the Lakers would pay $4M a year for an average player that may not be worth even that. i have heard mitch kupcake say this very thing, perhaps a lot better than i just did.
that's only if we go over the luxury tax I think n since we used the allan houston rule on grant his salary doesn't count toward the luxury tax, although we still have 2 pay it...next summer it won't matter tho, cuz the contract will b over.
dblockallstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 04:13 PM   #9
hotsizzle
Superstar

hotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation here

dont kid yourself about billups signing for the mle...somethings we need to take care of is the future of our guys right now. kwame has 2 more yrs left...centers are gettin valuable, in his final yr, he'll be making near 10 mil...hes gonna be looking to get paid if he improves to the 15/10 hes trying to get...odom has 3 yrs left, if he improves to his goal, that is 20/9/6..hes also gonna be a big time player who ALOT of teams will be going after. the reason I bring this up, even though, its a long way from now, is because theres alot of chemistry being built on and you cant just let your players walk and get new ones and expect them to mesh and contend. remember kobe is getting older...

so we cant just look to the yr after, we have to look beyond that and im sure laker management is doing a good job. kobe,bynum,farmar are the only cats signed after the 08/09 season...

now i agree that we should just try to WIN NOW, but we cant completely disregard our furture...
hotsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 04:15 PM   #10
hotsizzle
Superstar

hotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation here

after this season, KG will have a player option on his contract..im sure he'd be willing to take less money to leave and pair up with kobe but how much less??? maybe we should make strides towards that...
hotsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 05:42 PM   #11
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsizzle
after this season, KG will have a player option on his contract..im sure he'd be willing to take less money to leave and pair up with kobe but how much less??? maybe we should make strides towards that...

maybe from 22 million a year to about 21.5

rich bastards!!
lakerfreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 05:48 PM   #12
mariodeathgrip
incoherent!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
maybe from 22 million a year to about 21.5

rich bastards!!

KG has taken less before, but Mchale failed him, for a chance for a title I believe he would settle for 15 mil but if he really want it 10 to 12 mil but I believe 15 mil could be the price!!!
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: