Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Default Re: JR Smith signs 2 year deal with Cavs worth roughly $5 million per year

Quote Originally Posted by Spaulding
    Looks like Cavs won't get crawford
    Smith is a far better shooter and a better defensive player than Crawford. Those are the two things the Cavs need most out of that backup SG role. Hell, he may still even be the starter, as he was in the regular season last year, because he fits so well alongside LeBron, Kyrie and Love.

Crawford needs the ball in his hands, which is the last thing this Cavs team needs.

It also doesn't hurt that JR is still only 29 and Crawford is 35.

Decent college freshman

Default Re: JR Smith signs 2 year deal with Cavs worth roughly $5 million per year

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    Smith is a far better shooter and a better defensive player than Crawford. Those are the two things the Cavs need most out of that backup SG role. Hell, he may still even be the starter, as he was in the regular season last year, because he fits so well alongside LeBron, Kyrie and Love.

Crawford needs the ball in his hands, which is the last thing this Cavs team needs.

It also doesn't hurt that JR is still only 29 and Crawford is 35.
    Good post, per usual, RBA.

I think the Crawford trade rumors may have been leaked by Doc. I think he's been trying to move him and naturally thought that Haywood contract would have been his ticket. Crawford needs a really specific type of team surrounding him for his game to work. Maybe an offense that could use a gunner, like Memphis.

Honestly, he got off lucky. They could of easily handed him a 1yr/2m contract and he would of had to accept, he ain't going nowhere. No one wants em and he can actually be apart of something big in Cleveland. I shuddered as I typed that last bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosnian Sajo
    Honestly, he got off lucky. They could of easily handed him a 1yr/2m contract and he would of had to accept, he ain't going nowhere. No one wants em and he can actually be apart of something big in Cleveland. I shuddered as I typed that last bit.
    I agree. I think the $5 million is an olive branch to Smith, because like I said... even though it seems like he has been in the league forever, he is still on the right side of 30 and he very well could have several very good years ahead of him. The Cavs didn't want to embarrass him with a tiny deal, which may have led to his leaving next year just on principle.

Smith is at his best when he is on a short contract. When he gets comfortable, things can go terribly wrong.

With all of that being said, he was an important part -- a starter -- on a team that went 34-9 to end the regular season.

No doubt, I always thought of JR as a baller, but his rep is uuugly. You're right, when he gets comfortable he ends up doing worse. Happened in Denver, happened in New York.

Local High School Star

JR Smith the type of player to go broke 5 years after retiring, 5mil or 6.5mil, it doesn't matter

Good signing. Despite his breakdown in the finals, he was a major contributor during the season.
    Dat backcourt of Williams and Smith sure won't have problems to get buckets...

I think that's very cheap for JR with the crazy money that's been handed out this summer. Hey, Cory Joseph got $30 million/4 yrs and JR is much better than he is.

Quote Originally Posted by KembaWalker
    JR Smith the type of player to go broke 5 years after retiring, 5mil or 6.5mil, it doesn't matter
    Very true. Hopefully JR wises up once he is retired.

Quote Originally Posted by rmt
    I think that's very cheap for JR with the crazy money that's been handed out this summer. Hey, Cory Joseph got $30 million/4 yrs and JR is much better than he is.
    It's crazy when you consider the fact that Shump got a 4 year/40 mill. deal

Shump is key to our defense, has some upside but I didn't expect such a huge gap between his and JR's salary

Quote Originally Posted by D-Wait
    It's crazy when you consider the fact that Shump got a 4 year/40 mill. deal

Shump is key to our defense, has some upside but I didn't expect such a huge gap between his and JR's salary
    Shump is 24 years old and is a really good defensive wing in a league where those guys who are also good enough to knock down the occasional three or make the occasional play are extremely important.

Shump's age, skillset and ceiling make him easily worth $10 million in today's NBA, imo. JR is in a totally different phase of his career. He is six years older and while he is a better shooter and scorer, he has never been the kind of perimeter defender Shump is right now.

The gap might not be huge now, but it will likely grow over the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocaine80s
    God ****ing damn

Imagine if everyones healthy for the playoffs
    Agreed. Even with 3-5 injuries to key players, if this team doesn't win the ring, it's the biggest chokejob in the history of the NBA bar none.

Stacked roster. Best player in the World. Easiest schedule in the league.

No excuses.

Great college starter FatComputerNerd's Avatar

Major steal.

He was huge for us all season, other than in the finals when we were short-handed...

We sure are getting more stacked...Shump, J.R, R.J., Mo-Gotti coming back...so much talent even w/o our main guys, lol.

Kyrie/Lebron/Mo/Delly
    JR/Shump/JJ, R.J, and some Delly and Mo too I'm sure, along w/ Smokin' Joe
    Lebron/Shump/JJ, R.J, Harris
    Love/TT/Lebron/AV/JJ
    T-Mo/TT/AV

Ridiculous really how many different lineups we can put out there.
    Last edited by FatComputerNerd; 08-21-2015 at 03:01 AM.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Droid101
    Agreed. Even with 3-5 injuries to key players, if this team doesn't win the ring, it's the biggest chokejob in the history of the NBA bar none.

If even one player gets injured the Cavs get a pass for this year

But man, if everyones healthy they are gonna be unstoppable