Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Memphis Grizzlies Forum

Memphis Grizzlies Forum Memphis Grizzlies forum - Memphis Grizzlies message board

Old 10-04-2008, 05:05 PM   #1
jailer
MillionDollarException

jailer has an OK reputation so far
Default Open Practice: Analysis

Ok grizz fans I just got back from the open practice. Overall the team looked pretty good. We had alot on intensity on the defensive end. Not alot of three point shooting though. I will break down each player that I think is important enough on the squad to be talked about.

Mike Conley: Looked very good on the defensive end. He got some steals and caused alot of problems for the man he was defending. He looked more in control of the team. He should be ready to lead, or at the very least be alot better then last year.

O.J. Mayo: Didnt do that much. He was doubled alot. The man guarding was routinely holding his jersey. He got free a few times and drove hard to the basket. He got a nice and1. He didnt shoot any jumpers however. He looked lost at times but I think he will be ready to play come the start of the season.

Rudy Gay: Looked great. He has really worked on his ball handeling and his pull up shot. He weaved flawlessly in traffic a few times as well. He should put up better numbers this year then he did last.

Hakim Warrik: Was kinda of disappointing. He took at least ten shots and only hit one. Every shot he took waa about 18 feet away. He never drove to the basket. He looked quick on the defensive end. But he was routinely backed down by antoine walker. He tried to fight for boards but rarely had success. He might start at first. But I wouldnt be surprised for him to lose his job.

Marc Gasol: Looked great. I cant stress this enough. He was a ery physical force out there. He was throwing elbows holding peolple. Playing dirty. It was great. His offensive side wasnt bad either. He showed a few good moves and his jumper. Think he had like 8 points. Which is nice considering is team only had 24. I hope he starts.

I will give a little bit on the rest of the team.

Lowry was feisty on defense but still hasnt learned to pass the ball. Critteton was able to drive to the basket but wasnt playing very good defense. Ross and Buckner both looked very good on the defensive side of the ball. I expect them to get minutes. Darko didnt really look that good. He played pretty weak. Haddadi was not good. Gasol routinely manhandeled him. Haddadi had one nice move for and and1. But that was it. Marko jaric looked good out there. He led the team like a vet wasnt very fast but he was crafty. He hounded lowry on the defensive end. Causing lowry to turnover the ball. Antoine walker looked pretty good as well. He played nice defense and only shot one three. He had some nice post moves. And was able to score on hakim pretty easily.

Arthur didnt play.

All in all. It was a fun day. I expect these grizzlies to be better. Maybe 30 wins at the most. They will be more competitive than last year. But will not be in the hunt for a playoff seed.
jailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 05:51 PM   #2
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Kebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Open Practice: Analysis

My heart started to beat a bit faster when I opened this thread. Thankyou jailer. So I take it you had a fun day? Must have been a fun experience.

From what you have explained most things sound good. I'm a bit surprised about Hak, I'd have expected him to have been more aggressive. It sounds like Gasol is being assertive, aggressive and tough, which I really like. I posted an article about Marc earlier today about him in practice and everything seems to be matching up, I can't wait to see this guy play in the league. I think he might develop into something special in the future.

I'm really looking forward to the season now.

Did you get pics?
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 06:19 PM   #3
Mississippi
Playoffs? Playoffs!!!

Mississippi has decent reputation

Yeah thought Hakim would dominate. Maybe he just had an off day. I'm not surprised by Jaric. He was a pretty good when he was with the Clippers, very versatile player.
Mississippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 07:37 PM   #4
jailer
MillionDollarException

I couldnt find my camera. And the camera on my phone isnt very good.

Yeah I was surprised by hakim too. I really expected him to comeout and play good. I think he worked on his perimeter game more than his post game in the offseason. The first preseason game is tuesday vs the rockets.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:43 AM   #5
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Kebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I found some images on yahoo...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/me...z_practice%3A1

There's about 24 images from open practice. The rest are images from media day and the other practices.

It seems as though Marc has lost a bit of weight. He looks slimmer than he was in the Olympics.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:43 PM   #6
Mississippi
Playoffs? Playoffs!!!

Pau who?

I think Marc will develop into a nice player. Anyone think he'll start at center?
Old 10-05-2008, 09:07 PM   #7
jailer
MillionDollarException

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi
Pau who?

I think Marc will develop into a nice player. Anyone think he'll start at center?

He should. Him and darko started together. They played warrik off the bench. Marc is better right now than darko.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:46 PM   #8
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Marc is also smarter than Darko and also more aggressive when playing.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:53 PM   #9
berraco
Darko The Ripper

berraco has decent reputationberraco has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailer
He should. Him and darko started together. They played warrik off the bench. Marc is better right now than darko.

I think it will depend on the style. With both Darko and Marc in the court you can not run always as your first option.
berraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:38 PM   #10
Mississippi
Playoffs? Playoffs!!!

Starting Lineup should be...

Conley/Lowry/Crittenton
Mayo/Jaric/Buckner
Gay/Ross/Walker/Petway
Warrick/Arthur/Badiane
Gasol/Milicic/Haddadi
Old 10-07-2008, 08:48 AM   #11
berraco
Darko The Ripper

berraco has decent reputationberraco has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi
Starting Lineup should be...

Conley/Lowry/Crittenton
Mayo/Jaric/Buckner
Gay/Ross/Walker/Petway
Warrick/Arthur/Badiane
Gasol/Milicic/Haddadi

Have we signed Badiane?

EDIT: ok, just checked it. Now we have a 16-man roster, so either Badiane or Petway will be cut before the season starts. I don't really care about any of the two, although I know that Badiane is not good enough to get a roster spot in the NBA.

Last edited by berraco : 10-07-2008 at 03:27 PM.
berraco is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: