Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

Default Re: If Derrick Rose is that Dumb, Will He ever Be Great

Quote Originally Posted by adamcz
    Basketball requires mostly spatial intelligence (as well as obvious physical attributes). When you glance at a moving object and intuitively know exactly where it will be two seconds later, that's a definite form of intelligence. A computer would have to perform advanced math to compute the present location of (let's say) the ball, the velocity that it's moving, how the rotation of the ball will impact its path, etc.

Some humans have a knack for this stuff and some just don't. I'm always amused when I play frisbee that some players just can't tell that based on the angle of the disc, it will curve a lot, and so they don't run to where it will go. But I bet Derrick Rose would know where.

On the other hand, I've heard that Ruben Patterson just could not learn playbooks. Even a simple playbook with a few basic sets and 4 or 5 in-bounds plays was too much for him to memorize, and he would just freelance out there no matter what the coach called. I believe this has a lot to do with the fact that he was out of the league the very moment that his athleticism started to decline - no coaches wanted to deal with him.

If Derrick Rose is your PG for 35+ minutes per game, do you as the coach even have the option of running a complicated offense with 30 plays to memorize? Maybe so, maybe not.
    30 plays?

Cleveland has 4 or 5 right?

Terry Bradshaw was an idiot and an NFL Qb!

/end thread.

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH
    That is an excellent point, Bradshaw is actually borderline retarded.
    Terry Bradshaw passed the SAT

Wasn't Olowokandi meant to be a pretty smart guy?

Look at guy like Brandon Roy,

"Before he could get started, though, there was one more big number he'd need to put up: a qualifying SAT score. Roy suffers from a learning disability that makes timed tests extraordinarily difficult, and his first attempt at the SAT fell short"

Quote Originally Posted by Jinxed
    Terry Bradshaw passed the SAT
    Speaking of FAIL they don't have a pass/fail option on the SAT.

Secondly how would you even know whether or not he bombed the SAT? For all you know he had someone else take it for him. I knew someone who did that and it wasn't an athlete trying to get into a school.

GiveItToBurrito
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix18
    Harsh? Just because some one couldnt take a test doesnt mean they are stupid.
    This. The SAT doesn't even measure intelligence, it's just your skill with math and English. Those are really important skills for college, life, and regular 9-5 jobs, but they don't really translate to the NBA. I mean, he's probably never going to be a great interview, but he's not necessarily dumb or something, just an unimaginative communicator who needs a calculator to leave a reasonable tip at a restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by JayGuevara
    Standardized tests mean nothing. I took the ACT (cuz pretty much everything around here is ACT, not SAT) and it was Saturday morning at 8 AM and I'm 17 years old and I went into the test still drunk I think, and had a hangover by the end, I kept rushing through the sections so I could put my head down and close my eyes for the extra time (I think Science was the only one I didn't have time to do this with, I ran outta time with like 1 question left), and I overall felt like **** cuz it was the day after homecoming and I drank too much. I got a 27 on my ACT's, drunk/hungover/exhausted, not trying. I was never a good student, I pushed my truancy to the brink, I didn't like homework or textbooks or anything of that nature. On the other hand, this girl I know, had a 4.0 (or higher through AP classes) all through high school, took the ACT prep courses and "studied" the past years tests or whatever, and took it three times, her best score being a 27. She was accepted into University Of Michigan, I post on insidehoops.com.

Although I used to thoroughly enjoy making fun of her for having the same test results, she honestly resented it and was slightly bitter.
    You got a 27 as well! Man, I cant take tests on Saturday Morning. I dont know why the hell they do that. I actually took the pre ACT test at school I think my sophomore year and it predicted my ACT score to be in between 29-33. But its much easier to take a test on a Wednesday morning.

Knicks 2010 Champs

820/2400 is pretty bad. Most of that test is pretty basic. No reason why you can't score more than that on the new SAT's.
    Kobe scored like a 1000+ out of 1600 on his SATs...

Hellbound

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound
    but again, what you are saying (you werent a good or serious student) doesnt mean you werent (arent I guess) intelligent. What it does show is that that girl was a very hard worker who did her best to maximize her limited natural intelligence, while you were a lazy SOB who wasted a space in the school for 4 years despite your potential.

again, the standardized tests dont tell everything (obviously) but they tend to be relatively good indicators of potential collegiate success as well as your grasp of the specific subject areas. There are reasons why many schools consider the ACT or SAT a better indicator of your potential than your GPA.
    Well yeah, I was lazy and academically unmotivated and decided that I would just make as many mistakes and bad decisions as possible during the four years of high school instead of paying attention to classes and studies. I just liked to rub it in because she was condescending and thought she was one of the intellectual elite, and it infuriated her that I got the same score as her on the ACT's.

But, at the same time, all those mistakes and bad decisions I made taught me a lot that books never could. Is that not a form of knowledge? Just because the knowledge you have retained and the things you have learned aren't part of the standardized testing curriculum doesn't mean you're an idiot. Or maybe I'm just rationalizing and making excuses and being long winded talkin bout "street smarts", which is like "inner beauty", excuses/justifications made by dumb/ugly people.

hahahahaha
    o well... he is still a great player

Knicks 2010 Champs

Quote Originally Posted by JayGuevara
    Well yeah, I was lazy and academically unmotivated and decided that I would just make as many mistakes and bad decisions as possible during the four years of high school instead of paying attention to classes and studies. I just liked to rub it in because she was condescending and thought she was one of the intellectual elite, and it infuriated her that I got the same score as her on the ACT's.

But, at the same time, all those mistakes and bad decisions I made taught me a lot that books never could. Is that not a form of knowledge? Just because the knowledge you have retained and the things you have learned aren't part of the standardized testing curriculum doesn't mean you're an idiot. Or maybe I'm just rationalizing and making excuses and being long winded talkin bout "street smarts", which is like "inner beauty", excuses/justifications made by dumb/ugly people.
    Like you said, you're lazy. That's just as bad as being stupid (if not worse).

He doesn't seem like the brightest cat... but he sure can ball.

His lack of intelligence could translate to the court, and limit his growth as a player... but he's already proven he can play at a high level.

Rose isn't going to be dropping dimes like Nash, but Nash could only dream of doing some of the things Rose can do physically.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote Originally Posted by Interminator

820 is horrible considering it was the new SAT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF0xyVv88ME

I thought he was just shy, but he might just be dumb.
    hahaha, wow... I couldn't even listen to the whole thing because half of what he said made no sense.

Made that high school varsity squad

he's just lazy.....

Local High School Star

Kobe could have went to an IVY league school with his SAT's.More athletes should be like him

Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote Originally Posted by CantStop
    Kobe could have went to an IVY league school with his SAT's.More athletes should be like him

I hope you're not serious, dude got a 1080...