Default Re: melo means BUSINESS

Carmelo keep getting money but you won't be remembered for much else.

No chips no glory. I'm sure he's still happy, but go away Melo, you aren't relevant.

MELO likes his money

Melo is a grown man and made a decision. Money.

Which isnt too bad a choice....

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Melo just doesnt strike me as the type to be known for anything but basketball. Not someones really...who seems serious. Like he has plans and goals bigger than what we see on tv. Hes got someone in his "office" watching his....chief of staff(....) and branding manager ask him who he wants to be....and responding that he doesnt know? This...

"Here's where you stand," he says, pointing out the 1.7 million page views on Anthony's website in the past year and the recent doubling of his Twitter followers.

"That's good. That's real impact," Anthony says.

Is he serious? Twitter followers?

Melo doesnt come off as the shrewdest guy in the room to begin with. He seems like the type of business man who...due to enormous liquid assets...could get involved in a lot of things. But he doesnt scream business.

He is probably sitting on 50+ million if he isnt an idiot. Kinda like Carson Palmer who said he had 80 million in the bank....

Athletes like that have such an obvious head start they can invest in 50 ways...strike out on most...and still be fine.

So dont take this to mean I think hes gonna go broke....he shouldnt.

But he comes off kinda odd in that article to me.

Just sit in the background and stack your money till you are a tycoon that the people who matter know about even if twitter doesnt. Like Junior Bridgeman sitting on 400 million when he made less in his whole career than Melo makes in a month. Jamal Mashburn is probably gonna be heading into that area in a decade or two.

Twitter doesnt make you anything.

I like the mentality but when I see guys like him, Lebron, Dwight Howard, and so on talking about whats bigger than basketball and branding and all the impact they can make....

I dont know. Its fine. Im not saying...dont. I just dont know what they hope to achieve by publicizing it.

Some of the more cerebral players...hell...Kobe?

Cant you imagine finding out that Kobe quietly has 600 million in like 20 years?

These dudes seem too hungry at times.

What does he have to prove? That he can make money outside basketball?

Anyone could make money outside their profession if that profession pays them 100 million dollars.

You know how stupid you have to be...to have 100 million to start with and not be able to get richer off it?

A max contract NBA player becoming a tycoon off basketball related earnings isnt proving anything.

Id be impressed as hell to hear that Jannero Pargo flipped his money into a Forbes listing.

Melo has made 135 million dollars and is owed another 120 or so. How could anyone acting the least bit responsible with it not do well in business?

Now this part...I feel him on:

the thing that finally made him doubt everything he had or hadn't done during his NBA career was the throwaway answer his 7-year-old son gave on a homework questionnaire, when asked to write a few sentences about what his father did for a living.

"Basketball player," Kiyan Anthony wrote, and then he left the rest of the space blank.

"I hate it when people say that's all I am," Anthony says. "I don't want to just be an athlete. I kind of obsess on that sometimes. I don't want my son to be reading, oh, 'disappointment, just a scorer, selfish, didn't win enough, never quite the best' -- whatever. I want to be bigger than that. I want to shape my own destiny instead of just having him read about whatever on the back page."

You dont want your whole life defined by one thing. But this article doesnt do the best job painting a picture of what he thinks that is.

He wants to be the tech athlete?

Eh.

Whatever...keep stacking money and dont go broke by 50...and youre doing fine.

never win a ring.

NBA Legend

Successful businessmen, rockstar musicians, famous athletes... They all fantasize about being one of the other ones. Either youre an athlete or not but with enough $ you can kinda pretend to be a musician or a businessman. But usually theyre doing just that - pretending.

Jeremy Lin beat you Kidbasketball20's Avatar

I admire Melo for his ambition.

But he should've gone to the Bulls.
    Or kept Jeremy Lin on the Knicks.

That Phil Mist

Decent playground baller dgaras's Avatar

maybe he should have had more ambition to develop his defensive game and passing first

melo has saved a lot of money in rent throughout his career