Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default nbadraft.net; Mayo 5th, DeAndre Jordan 3rd

I haven't seen Jordan, and his numbers are good so far for a freshman 7-footer (11/8 in 20 min), but how can he be ranked ahead of Mayo right now? It must be the early season results that moved him up, but OJ is averaging 25/6/4 2stl in his first 3 games, it seems he is living up to every bit of the superstar hype. Budinger is 4th, also moved ahead of Mayo since the season began, and he is similar to Jordan. His numbers are maybe a little better than expected, but they can't stack up to OJ's. Obviously it's not all about numbers or the way people play over just a few games, but that's the only results we have so far to justify moving rankings from less than a month ago. OJ Mayo is still looking like a future superstar, why demote him?
    Last edited by Manphibian420; 11-20-2007 at 05:57 PM.

Local High School Star

Default Re: nbadraft.net; Mayo 5th, DeAndre Jordan 3rd

I looked twice when I saw Budinger ahead of Mayo, but sure enough, there he was.

I usually hit open layups Gabbo's Avatar

its never about numbers. Kurt Thomas led the nation in points and rebounds.
    Its about how they would perform in the NBA, and number only tell part of the story.

Well, OJ seems to be 4th now, ahead of Budinger, perhaps that part was a mistake when they first posted it since it was changed so quickly (or maybe they change their minds that fast about prospects, not a good sign).
    Jordan is still 3rd though. I got a chance to see him the other day, and while his size/athleticism combo is impressive, he doesn't dominate on the college level the way Dwight did as a rookie at the NBA level, or even look like as good as an injured 1-handed Oden. Andrew Bynum is probably a fair comparison. (I take the Dwight/Bynum comparisons from nbadraft.net's own profile of Jordan)
    Would take a pretty brave and/or stupid GM to make Jordan the potential Darko of this draft by selecting him over Mayo

its never about numbers. Kurt Thomas led the nation in points and rebounds.
    Its about how they would perform in the NBA, and number only tell part of the story.
    My post isn't about just the numbers, it's about the expectations built on years of pro scouting making these guys undisputed top NBA prospects, and how the numbers so far have backed that up, and yet Jordan is ahead of Mayo. I'm just wondering what DeAndre has going for him over the first couple weeks, because it's not the reputation and it's not the early results.
    Last edited by Manphibian420; 11-22-2007 at 10:44 PM.

minnesota timberwolves FOYE4MVP's Avatar

i think mayo is a lock in the top 3 with rose-beasley-mayo.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by FOYE4MVP
    i think mayo is a lock in the top 3 with rose-beasley-mayo.
    Welcome to the forum.

Wow an update on this, Mayo is once again down to 5th. Blake Griffin of Oklahoma is 4th. Is Mayo not the future superstar and top 3 lock just about everyone thinks he is? Or is nbadraft.net just completely useless and/or big time Mayo haters?
    I have only seen Griffin once, but he did not really stand out at all even against a pretty bad team. Solid player but he didn't stand out as a top prospect for this draft. Have gotten a chance to see Jordan again since my last comment, and once again he has impressive physical skills but looked years away from contributing and didn't at all dominate physically like the Dwight Howard comparison they make.

Local High School Star

Dios mio, they must know something we don't, like Mayo's an undercover Russian spy, or something. I saw Eric Gordon play for a bit in a blowout victory, and he looked pretty good. I haven't seen Griffin, but is he really better than these two? Perhaps he's the reincarnation of George Mikan.

Good High School Starter

At first I was thinking of the fact that Mayo is really a 6-4 guard who isn't really a point, but isn't big enough for a SG. However, I am starting to realize that he is more like a 6-4 combo guard. He will be able to play on and off the ball. He is a scorer so he doesn't need to worry about passing as much if he is playing with a PG, but at the same time he can pass and makes plays.

I know the comparison doesn't work for the most part, but I think he would be kind of like Ray Allen in this regard. A SG, but a guy that also makes plays and gets a lot of assists.

The biggest knock I have on Mayo right now is that he has no where near the basketball IQ of someone like Allen. But he is also so young with little experience.

And I don't think he is a lock for the top 3 at all. I would say top 5. Rose and Beasley will be right there, as will Jordan because he is a center. I still think Batum will move up with his workouts, but has not had a good season. People can't forget that he is younger than Mayo, however, and playing in a good European league. Kosta Koufus is 7-0 and could move up into the top 5. Eric Gordon is also a bit of a wildcard because you never know when someone will see him as being an elite scorer in the NBA despite being 6-4. Remember AI went #1 at 6-0. All it takes is 1 team.

As for Blake Griffin, I see a lottery pick, but I don't see the potential to make him a top 5 pick. Same thing with Budinger and Hibbert. Great players, will make good pros, but just don't have that potential to be NBA stars like the guys I mentioned before. Of course that is just my opinion.

6'4 isn't short...There are plenty of successful shooting guards that are 6'4 or shorter...even though some are listed as taller. If he plays shooting guard, height will never be an issue.

Local High School Star

Is Gordon comparable to Ray Allen?

Good High School Starter

You are right about 6-4 SG. I just tend to think of guys like Kobe and T-Mac and the problems they would cause 6-4 players. Besides some guys like that though, there seems to be an equal amount of guys at all sizes. For every Kevin Martin, Joe Johnson, and Rip Hamilton, you have a Ray Allen, AI, and Ben Gordon. I still think it is ideal to be at least an "averaged" sized SG like Manu, Roy, and Jason Richardson when looking at draft position. It isn't as bad as the NFL where .01 of a second on your 40 could drop you a round, but an extra inch or two would be the difference between being a good sized SG and a below average sized SG.

I think Gordon is kind of like Allen, except not the complete player. It will also be interesting to see if he can get his shot off like Allen in the NBA.

Da Bulls! Da Bears! DieHardBullsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marny_navis
    Is Gordon comparable to Ray Allen?

I think Gordon is stronger and more of a slasher than Ray Allen...hmm I would compare Gordon to maybe Mitch Richmound...just to shoot off a name from my head....

Good High School Starter

But Allen was pretty explosive back in the day. He has never been that strong, but he has had some nice dunks. Allen is also basically a PG with the ball in his hands. He is a very good offensive weapon. That is what is so hard about comparing guys because the NBA players are so advanced and the college guys are so far behind, and you never know what they will work on, or if they work on anything at all and become a bust.

Da Bulls! Da Bears! DieHardBullsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by monthh
    But Allen was pretty explosive back in the day. He has never been that strong, but he has had some nice dunks. Allen is also basically a PG with the ball in his hands. He is a very good offensive weapon. That is what is so hard about comparing guys because the NBA players are so advanced and the college guys are so far behind, and you never know what they will work on, or if they work on anything at all and become a bust.
    but when you look at Gordon and like mid 90's Richmond they are almost the same player.....I didnt know how Strong Gordon was to be at 6-4 then you look back at how Richmond played he was the same way using his body to slash and can shoot the long ball.......Allen is different I agree is like a off guard, not pg and hes the fenise type (I know I spelt that wrong)