Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: So I got fired from my job for assaulting a coworker...

Quote Originally Posted by sammichoffate
    Go back to school?
    I might try but I'm not sure what to go for, I've never been good in school long term. Above average IQ but I got a couple learning disabilities that make it tough. But maybe I'm putting to much weight into that as I was doing very good in fire science before I unraveled. I lack discipline, which I should be able to work on since I'm cognizant of the problem but easier said than done, I guess? Probably just another excuse. Had bad habits imprinted on me, and I continued snowballing the problem when I could've changed it years ago. That's what I get for ignoring the problem and focusing more so on the short term like getting laid, and smoking weed 25/8. Helped the anger issues(towards men) but hurt everything else lol

Maybe I could take business as I have a decent chunk of change to play with, might be able to make the money I have work for me somehow. But I'm worried I'd **** up and lose it all. I need to become a male thot and go after some WNBA players.
    Last edited by jongib369; 01-23-2019 at 01:25 PM.

i hope you get a job quickly bro, i'm sure you will. you seem smart.

but let this be a life lesson to you, don't put hands on another person unless it for self defense. walk away bro. i realize it's tough if they get on your nerves and are pushing your buttons, but it's never worth it.

meditate or focus on something to temper your emotions.

we/re the same age btw.

Quote Originally Posted by jongib369
    That's actually a pretty damn good idea lol. Got a family member into carpentry, thanks
    Yeah I have a sister who is en entrepreneur and has no hangups about lying to employers for me. I'm ashamed to say it's a luxury I have abused. But it's really good to fall back on, kind of like a safety net for a resume.

5-time NBA All-Star

Taking anger management courses two days ago.

Very similar situation heard earlier. Involved violence and a felony charge on a person who was in a tough situation to begin with when her boundaries were crossed.

Anywho the point is there's a better way to express anger.

You got to warn them ahead of time firmly before things escalate.. something like THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE CONDUCT in an authoritative tone.

Local High School Star baudkarma's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jongib369
    He was talking shit and didn't stop after I told him to, it was nothing bad in hindsight... But lets just say it wasn't a good day for me because of personal problems outside of work. I walked up to him and slapped him over the back of the head pretty damn hard and nearly knocked his glasses off. Once I regained my cool a few seconds later I was apologetic right away, but obviously that didn't matter. He stood there stunned, and then left the store. Apparently he was crying in the break room. So my question is what do I do now? This was my first job, but now I don't think I can even use it as a reference where I've built up experience on lift equipment in hopes to get a better paying job elsewhere. Any advice? Should I maybe list them as a reference but give a number of someone who works there but might not say bad things about me? Or should I not list them what so ever? I'm ****ed fam, but I did it to myself not denying that
    Yeah, you're probably screwed. To determine just how screwed, you need to find out exactly what information they'll be giving out if you use them as a reference. You can have a friend call them, or if the company is big enough and you don't know anyone in HR personally, you can make the call yourself. Tell them you're calling to check the references of a job applicant, and they should put you in touch with the right person.

Basically you'll want to give them your name, and tell them that's the name of a person who's applied for a job and listed them as his previous employer. They may want to know what company you're calling from, so have a name ready so you don't sound suspicious. Then you can ask your questions. These are the questions that HR people usually ask.

"What was his hire date?"
    "When was his last day of work?"
    "What was his job title?"
    "Is he eligible for rehire?"

Obviously the last question is the important one. Some companies are so worried about lawsuits that they won't say anything negative about a former employee, not even revealing that they're not eligible for rehire. And some companies are so disorganized that they don't keep track of why an employee was let go. If they say you're eligible for rehire, you're good to go.

If they say you're not, then you'll have to go to plan B. When you're being interviewed, tell them up front that if they call to check, they'll be told you're not eligible for rehire. If the ask why, tell them another employee was verbally harassing you (which is true), and that you complained to your supervisor but nobody did anything about it (which is not true), so you quit without giving two weeks notice. If you're a minority, you can hint that some of the verbal harassment was racial in nature. HR pros will be somewhat skeptical about your story, but in todays tight job market, it might be enough to get you through.

Quote Originally Posted by baudkarma
    Yeah, you're probably screwed. To determine just how screwed, you need to find out exactly what information they'll be giving out if you use them as a reference. You can have a friend call them, or if the company is big enough and you don't know anyone in HR personally, you can make the call yourself. Tell them you're calling to check the references of a job applicant, and they should put you in touch with the right person.

Basically you'll want to give them your name, and tell them that's the name of a person who's applied for a job and listed them as his previous employer. They may want to know what company you're calling from, so have a name ready so you don't sound suspicious. Then you can ask your questions. These are the questions that HR people usually ask.

"What was his hire date?"
    "When was his last day of work?"
    "What was his job title?"
    "Is he eligible for rehire?"

Obviously the last question is the important one. Some companies are so worried about lawsuits that they won't say anything negative about a former employee, not even revealing that they're not eligible for rehire. And some companies are so disorganized that they don't keep track of why an employee was let go. If they say you're eligible for rehire, you're good to go.

If they say you're not, then you'll have to go to plan B. When you're being interviewed, tell them up front that if they call to check, they'll be told you're not eligible for rehire. If the ask why, tell them another employee was verbally harassing you (which is true), and that you complained to your supervisor but nobody did anything about it (which is not true), so you quit without giving two weeks notice. If you're a minority, you can hint that some of the verbal harassment was racial in nature. HR pros will be somewhat skeptical about your story, but in todays tight job market, it might be enough to get you through.
    Thank you for the advice, I very well might try that.

sounds like you had a pretty easily accessible job so i think you can find something just as good without any reliance on a recommendation from this place.

I nearly was fired for eating popeyes.

I was fired a month after that tho

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsmoke
    I nearly was fired for eating popeyes.

I was fired a month after that tho

I'm eating Popeyes right now

If you want to keep a job you have to resist the urge to knock the crap out of an asshole who desperately needs it. I have worked 30+ years and have worked with hundreds of people who desperately needed some kind of adjustment. It can be extremely stressful but you have to resist.