Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Al Pacino Vs Robert De Niro

Raging Bull muthaaaaaaaaaphyuckers! Raging Bull...

well Scorsese is the GOAT but still De Niro is just incredible. Their works got me into filmmaking <3

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by The Mamba
    Dog Day Afternoon as proof.
    Serpico, too. He was completely different at times, but equally convincing. For example, he could be intense enough to pull off a tough guy like Tony Montana, but then be much more low-key. Then there's the progression we see as Michael in the first 2 godfathers, we see him become cold and calculating. Also loved And Justice For All.

I rule the local playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    Also loved And Justice For All.
    Underrated flick.

De Niro is an all-time great, don't get me wrong. I prefer Pacino when it comes down to it.

Quote Originally Posted by LBJ 23
    Huh, tough call, but I'm picking Al Pacino just because of this speech

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKAxnB6Ap4o
    This movie was absolutely atrocious and its only value was the young Phillip Seymour Hoffman getting some work. The worst side of Pacino's acting that comes out when he works with a weak director. I prefer when he is acting and not ACTING!

So sad they finally gave him an Oscar for this one and not for Donnie Brasco which came out a year later and was one of his better late career performances.

I think DeNiro in certain roles is better, but I think Pacino has more range.

Speaking of Serpico, the guy who Tony Roberts played, Detecitve David Durk, who was a superhero cop in his own right just passed away this month.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/14/ny...t-77.html?_r=0.

The book and the movie portray him as a sellout, but he was actually the driving force behind the investigation into NYPD corruption for years before he met Serpico, but he never could have gotten as close to the corrupt cops because everyone knew his reputation.

I actually live quite close to the building where Serpico got shot and I was in a bar talking about this about two years ago and this guy turns around and says he lives in that building and his roomate became obsessed with Serpico when he found that out and actually tracked him down somehow and had a phone conversation with him.

De Niro no problem. Pacino overreacts from time-to-time and just doesn't have the great movies that De Niro has, and of course being in Gigli hurts. I prefer De Niro's performances more, as well. I'm not sure either did a really great movie in the 2000s. There were some good, but not great movies.

The Magical T-Mac HardwoodLegend's Avatar

Blaming an actor for a bad movie is even dumber than blaming a star basketball player for failing to advance in the playoffs on a weak roster.

Tons of people bear the responsibility for a bad film, and being in Gigli shouldn't hurt Pacino's legacy at all.

Quote Originally Posted by SAKOTXA
    De Niro was an early riser, his career went downhill once he started acting in the Fockers or whatever, lol. Al Pacino, to this day is a living legend.

I was a background actor in Ocean's Thirteen back in 05-06 and got to see Al Pacino live for a bit. The guy has that Michael Jordan type assholness to him. Didn't talk to anybody, only concentrated on his role and his role only. I still love the guy, though.
    Lol, so you're retarded. You must have missed 88 minutes and the rest of the trash from this past decade?

pacino had a better prime, but de niro has had a better career.

I post-up midgets magic chiongson's Avatar

both great actors. de niro is more versatile.

Both are in my list of top 5 greatest actors I have ever seen. You cannot go wrong with either one.

De Niro was in way more movies and has more successful movies than Pacino.

Pacino was in less movies but a much higher percentage of his movies were successful.

IF Pacino was in as many movies as De Niro and had kept his % of successful movies, Pacino would be the better actor very very easily (top 2 greatest ever). Along with that, if Pacino had also worked with Scorsese couple times, he would probably be the greatest actor ever.

Without the "if" card above though, De Niro has the better career easily. Due to that, I rank De Niro higher than Pacino by ~2 ranks. I am still a bigger Pacino fan than De Niro though. If only he was in more movies..
    Last edited by bladefd; 11-24-2012 at 12:22 AM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bucket_Nakedz
    harvey keitel >
    Keitel's performance in Bad Lieutenant is one of the greatest ever, it just doesn't get the recognition because it was an independent film that was NC-17.

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    Lol, so you're retarded. You must have missed 88 minutes and the rest of the trash from this past decade?
    Praise the "Stone" and Little Fockers. imbecile.

Oh and how could i forget Hide and Seek and What Just Happened.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by The Mamba
    Underrated flick.

De Niro is an all-time great, don't get me wrong. I prefer Pacino when it comes down to it.
    Yeah, I'm in complete agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
    Keitel's performance in Bad Lieutenant is one of the greatest ever, it just doesn't get the recognition because it was an independent film that was NC-17.
    Amazing performance, can't believe I heard they remade it with Nicolas Cage who can't hold a candle to Keitel.

Quote Originally Posted by HardwoodLegend
    Blaming an actor for a bad movie is even dumber than blaming a star basketball player for failing to advance in the playoffs on a weak roster.

Tons of people bear the responsibility for a bad film, and being in Gigli shouldn't hurt Pacino's legacy at all.
    He chose to be in it. He made his bed. I'd say Pacino is overrated on here.
    Last edited by Jackass18; 11-25-2012 at 12:32 AM.