Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Living in the mid-90's > any era

Quote Originally Posted by miller-time
    I think so. People confuse novel experiences with things being better. When you are young everything is new, so everything is awesome. Once you experience everything for the 1000th time it becomes dull and unoriginal - therefore "the 90s were awesome" is really "the 90s is where I experienced everything for the first time."
    Maybe, but there's no denying that certain things in the 90s were better, especially the middle of the decade, even at a macro/general level. The economy was booming, we weren't in any prolonged foreign military conflicts overseas, pop culture seemed to have more integrity. Now we're still recovering from a deep recession, we lived under the fear of terrorism post 9/11, and we're in a wasteland culturally. Can't fault people for looking back fondly when the quality of life was better then than it is now.

Gott'a stop ya there. This era the 00s and 10s era have the best collection of shows ever on TV. The worst too, but the best TV shows in this era are amazing.

Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Dexter, The Walking Dead, Spartacus, Mad Men and Boardwalk Empire.

The cartoon shows in the 90s and early 00s were better tho. Tho there are some gems in this era too.
    I actually agree with this point. TV is experiencing a strange dichotomy- it's simultaneously experiencing a golden age in cable while everything else seems to be reality TV garbage. I feel like HBO ushered in a renaissance on cable starting in the mid-late 90s that is being replicated by other networks trying to follow their model (AMC, FX, Show, etc) but at the same time the networks and other channels are going for the lowest common denominator... and even lower (VH1, you've lost your way ).

Operat.Northwoods=9/11 Horde of Temujin's Avatar

I miss those days as well. You just brought a tear to my eye Hateraid. Thank you.

Growing up in the 90's was amazing. I admit that a large chunk of that was just being a kid, but I think the 90's themselves played into it. There was awesome new technology, but not enough that we never went outside and played. My little cousins today just play Call of Duty all day, every day. I played the shit out of "Turtles in Time" for the SNES, but we also played Ninja Turtles outside, jumping around, fighting invisible enemies. So it was a great mix of both worlds. There was a proper fear of strangers.. not over the top like it is today. Plus, as a huge horror fan, I had all the 80's classics right there in the video store. Jason, Freddy, The Shining.

I also liked the attitude towards parenting in those days. Maybe this occurred before the 90's, but I like that parents weren't as abusive and strict. Some say that just allows kids to act out, but I was never like that. My parents being a little looser just let me be creative and my own individual. From the stories I hear, growing up in the 50's or whatever would have just been so confining. "DON'T DO THIS, DON'T DO THAT.. OR I'LL SMACK YA.. SEE!" Uck.

Also, there was still a lot of morals in the kids TV shows. Boy Meets World, Hey Arnold, Doug, Rugrats.. all send out great messages to kids. I've seen the shows my little cousins/nieces/nephews watch today, and it's a little disturbing. The characters seem dumb, and not just dumb.. but happy to be dumb. Delightfully dumb.

Not to mention... South Park. Experiencing South Park as an adult was probably cool, but experiencing it as a KID??? Mind blower. Funniest, most awesome, talked about thing amidst every kid I knew. And I do recognize the irony of this paragraph following my previous one. But oh well. South Park had some good morals in it too, if you can get past all the cursing.
    Last edited by joe; 04-04-2013 at 05:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Macho Man

You haven't changed mentally from your teens to 30s?
    Not drastically. I've learned life's lessons on the way, but my mindset and appraoch to life is still the same now as when I was 18

Quote Originally Posted by Micku
    Gott'a stop ya there. This era the 00s and 10s era have the best collection of shows ever on TV. The worst too, but the best TV shows in this era are amazing.

Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Dexter, The Walking Dead, Spartacus, Mad Men and Boardwalk Empire.

The cartoon shows in the 90s and early 00s were better tho. Tho there are some gems in this era too.
    I'm a fan of a couple of those shows, but I'm talking about the overall experience with TV programming. It was relatable television where every night you had a programming line-up you can commit to. TV back then had more depth in program variety.

Seinfeld!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

This thread is so wrong.

I'd rather live in today's era

[QUOTE=andgar923]This thread is so wrong.

I'd rather live in today's era

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid
    On the same token modern technology has made us regress as people. I've pointed out today's technology has taken our ability to communicate face to face. Our advancement in technology has also made our workload a whole lot heavier thus cutting into friends and family time.
    IMO, modern technology has made us less human
    Oh stop the pseudo humanistic nonsense. Without technology we wouldn't be here.

Technology has made life easier for all of us. If technology cuts into your friends and family time, then there's other issues behind that one needs to reexamine.

I can still listen to old school 90s hip hop mix tapes, while I watch WWF while I download an NZB file, I can do all of this while I video chat with my wife that lives in Canada on either her tablet or cell.

Don't get me wrong.

I consider the 90s the modern day renaissance era. But it doesn't necessarily mean that we've regressed tremendously since then. Some things have become sucky (mainly music), but others have improved (tv shows, movies).

Society has changed as well.

Sure we can talk shit about people hiding behind technology, but for every negative aspect you can think of regarding technology, there's hundreds of examples in which it has helped improve our lives.

The options we have due to technology have multiplied. This is GOOD, not bad. By options I mean on just about anything and everything.

If you still wanna concentrate on how it affects us as a society, think about how modern medicine has advanced. How we have tools that help autistic, the blind and deaf, handicapped etc.etc.

7-time NBA All-Star

I also have to mention that action movies were still left to the Stallones, Schwarzennegers, Seagals(when he was in shape) and Bruce Willis of the world. Someone like Shia Labeouf would have never been in an action movie.

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid
    On the same token modern technology has made us regress as people. I've pointed out today's technology has taken our ability to communicate face to face. Our advancement in technology has also made our workload a whole lot heavier thus cutting into friends and family time.
    IMO, modern technology has made us less human
    I saw a table of high school guys and their dates all dressed up for prom at a restaurant I happened to be at. 12 of them. They all had their cell phones out and were texting. Some even texting each other. Very few words were actually spoken. It was pretty pathetic. In the 90's this was unheard of.

NBA sixth man of the year knickballer's Avatar

BRB, playing cops and robbers
    BRB, riding bike to buy some ****ing bubblegum
    BRB, running home to watch your favourite TV show
    BRB, going with some friends while doing nothing and not coming home hours later
    BRB, playing tackle football on the streets
    BRB, breaking neighbours windshield playing wuffelball(is that what it's called)
    BRB, playing multiplayer on n64
    BRB, inserting cheats into n64(press like 24 ****ing buttons)

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    I also have to mention that action movies were still left to the Stallones, Schwarzennegers, Seagals(when he was in shape) and Bruce Willis of the world. Someone like Shia Labeouf would have never been in an action movie.
    So true

90's actions movies were so hard core not even Jason Statham would make the cut.