Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    5-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Would you guys ever adopt a child?

Absolutely not and I'm fukking beyond disgusted that the state of society has come to the point where deadbeats and cuckolding frolick and I feel great sympathy for the child and the men without heirs. When I heard Obama say it takes a man to raise a child not to make one I couldn't tell where to direct my seething hatred; at the dude the chick or the government to persuade decent citizens to carry the burden of someone else's mistake at the expense of their right and biological destiny

But great respect to stepfathers and foster parents, may your compassion ring the bells of humanity for eternuty

But if I grow wise and valuable then id love to mentor young guys in whatever they do. Very very underrated relationship (apprentice mentor)

Possibly... and if I did it I would put my heart and soul into it.

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

If I couldn't have my own children than I would definitely adopt. But even still if I had good income I might still do it.

I would; if I didn't already have a child of my own. My aunt adopted a little dude who was 10 or 11 at the time (15 now I believe); and I consider him my little cousin. He's cool as hell; plays football on the JV team and all together seems to have the best temperaments of anyone I've ever been around.

Quote Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY
    Absolutely not and I'm fukking beyond disgusted that the state of society has come to the point where deadbeats and cuckolding frolick and I feel great sympathy for the child and the men without heirs. When I heard Obama say it takes a man to raise a child not to make one I couldn't tell where to direct my seething hatred; at the dude the chick or the government to persuade decent citizens to carry the burden of someone else's mistake at the expense of their right and biological destiny

But great respect to stepfathers and foster parents, may your compassion ring the bells of humanity for eternuty

But if I grow wise and valuable then id love to mentor young guys in whatever they do. Very very underrated relationship (apprentice mentor)
    Sometime's parents die you know....

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    Sometime's parents die you know....
    How dare they? Selfish bastards.

My wife was told that she could never have a child because of her uterine lining (TMI I know, sorry), so we always planned to adopt. We were well into the process (site visit, interviews, criminal background checks, etc) when lo and behold she got pregnant.

We have neighbors that adopted 2 kids from Russia, a boy and a girl. The girl is bright, well-adjusted, pleasant. The boy however is a nightmare, unable to function in any social setting, hits and bites other kids, has to go to a special school, etc. It would be one thing dealing with that type of kid if he was your own flesh and blood but it must be very difficult with an adopted kid.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

If my wife and I couldn't have kids we'd definitely consider it. It's so f*cking expensive though, and you could wind up with kids with serious issues.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
    If my wife and I couldn't have kids we'd definitely consider it. It's so f*cking expensive though, and you could wind up with kids with serious issues.
    Thats possible with biological birth too. Some things are just decided by nature. Chemical imbalances in the brain and what not.

Decent college freshman

People think they couldn't love a kid the same if it didn't share their genes, but they have no idea. Once you start raising a child, all the preconceptions go away. There is no way you won't love that kid. The whole blood thing is overrated.

   

Quote Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY
    ... But if I grow wise and valuable then id love to mentor young guys in whatever they do. Very very underrated relationship (apprentice mentor)
    that's a great point. the urge sort of keeps growing in me, and what a pain in the ass that can be. but apprentice - mentor works on many levels, and one of the most important ones for me is finding a way to contribute to my tribe.

perhaps i will never really feel like a full adult unless i'm in a relationship and contributing to my society, whether or not i have kids of my own one day.

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    that's a great point. the urge sort of keeps growing in me, and what a pain in the ass that can be. but apprentice - mentor works on many levels, and one of the most important ones for me is finding a way to contribute to my tribe.

perhaps i will never really feel like a full adult unless i'm in a relationship and contributing to my society, whether or not i have kids of my own one day.
    With the advent of single moms and people turning their back on school the influence of a curious kind man can do wonders. The only thing is.. hmm.. what situation would a kid seeking guidance find itself to be to meet gigantes? Where will the coincidence happen?

But I must ask what's the forte. The one skill you seek to master. Put 10,000 hours into and let it define you. For if you are without your life task my good sir you will never be self-actualized!

Believe me.

When I was like 12 or so and hated my parents and felt lost some of my teachers were practically a demigod.

yes I would if I had the financial security to do so

I would want to have children of my own of course first

I would prefer to adopt someone under 10 but over 2

race/gender doesn't matter but I would prefer if he was healthy

shhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by rufuspaul
    How dare they? Selfish bastards.

My wife was told that she could never have a child because....
    This happened to friends of ours. She could'nt get pregnant for whatever reason so they gave up and adopted a little girl that had been in foster care since birth, she was 9 months old.

2 months after the adoption ohoh guess who couldn't get pregnant is now pregnant...lol

so 9 months later they end up with two little girls... 3 years later the adoption people call up and tell them the little girl you adopted now has a little sister would they be interested in adopting her? the answer was yes and now they have three kids.

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

Yeah why not. That'd be pretty meaningful and you'd be helping someone who otherwise would have no family.