Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Learning to shoot layups

Default Re: Would you trade Greg Oden for Tim Duncan?

Tim Duncan is a great defender. According to the Phoenix Suns coach, it's ridiculous that Tim wasn't named defensive player of the year. I don't know what people are saying about that.

As for San Antonio will I trade Tim for Oden? No. Right now, San Antonio has the opportunity to win several more championships. They have a great team around them, and they can win several more. They also have a young player in Parker, who they can build around.

Oden is still proven and needs development, especially in his offensive game. Getting him now, won't guarantee a championship.

As for Portland, no I don't trade for duncan. You only make that kind of trade if you are one block from a championship, and Portland is not there. Portland is better of building around Oden, and growing with Oden.

Local High School Star WoGiTaLiA1's Avatar

Oden should be a good player but he is overhyped. He isnt this once in a lifetime talent or I havent seen it. He should be a very good player but right now he is one of the worst players to get picked first. He is being hyped because he is the first decent big man prospect since Duncan. I think he will do fine, but he is being overrated a lot. He is rawer than Okafor was, has the same problems and strengths.

The real question though is that it is Tim Duncan we are discussing in the trade. If you can get the best player in the NBA for a guy with potential you should do it every time. Oden could just as easily be Darko as he will be Robinson. He is far more likely to be Okafor level though, Mutombo would be a good result. I mean if you consider that, is he really a guy you would pass on Duncan for. This guy isn't a Shaq, Robinson, Ewing or Hakeem type where you can be almost certain he will dominate. This is Darko, Dwight, Okafor, KG or Bogut style where you hope for the best but aren't certain of anything.

I personally have seen at least 6 better prospects since I have been watching basketball and a couple of other guys that are on the at least the same level and I've seen enough of a couple of others that were before my time to know they also were better prospects(Coleman, Ewing, Hakeem and Daugherty). Guys like LJ, Mutombo and Payton were certainly comparable as well.

Not airballing my layups anymore J-Roc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jerky10
    TD will have 5 more solid season.
    Oden 10 to 15 ....

Facts Are Misleading

This thread has brought up some of the most ignorant people I have read in awhile.

All of a sudden because Duncan got jammed on a few times his defense is weak? The guy said he was 20, must have been one of those junior high drop-outs or else he would have a bit more logical thinking.

Zo gets dunked on all the time, doesn't make him any less of a defensive player.

rosecity exposing himself!!!!!!

"Duncan is a weak defender"

WHAT A SHMUCK!!!!!

Oden 10 to 15 ...
    Yeah but are they all in Portland and more so, are they just solid, good or are they great. Because Duncan has probably 3 more of great and MVP and a couple more after that where he isnt what he was but still merits a double and impacts the game. Will Oden ever do that is a realistic question?

Good college starter EricForman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RoseCity07
    No, more chances to win with Oden then Duncan. Plus you never know how good Oden will become. Duncan gets dunked on all the time by players, lets see if this happens to Oden.

And what does that have to do with whether or not Duncan is worthy of building a team around?

Good college starter EricForman's Avatar

This question is about the same as asking

"Would you trade Kareem Abdul Jabbar for Patrick Ewing?" in 1985.

or

"Would you trade Kareem Abdul Jabbar for Patrick Ewing?" in 1985.
    Nah its not. Oden isnt half the player coming out that Ewing was. Ewing was developed, you knew what you were getting. Oden is a big time risk/reward guy. Potential is there. Oden is not that type of prospect, he has the potential to be as good a player, but right now you dont trade the best player in the league for potential, you need a good bet of a sure thing.

Great shot blockers get yammed on. Thats a fact.

If I wanna win now...win titles within a 5yr window I'll take Duncan.
    If I wanna build a team and win in the future? I'll take Oden.

It all depends on the makeup and direction of the team.

Sixers could use Duncan. Knicks could use Oden.

Oden has atleast a 15yr shelf life barring major injuries whereas Duncan shelf life (figuring his impact) is at 5yrs. He's 31 and by age 36 (and beyond) I dont see Tim Duncan having the same impact as he does today. Oden is 19yrs old and has 17yrs before he reaches 36.
    Last edited by GOBB; 06-10-2007 at 12:03 PM.

Decent college freshman eeeeeebro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WoGiTaLiA1
    Magic's 3-4 years with Shaq >>> The 10 years since.

Miami's 3-4 years with Shaq>>> The rest of their history.

It would be a tough trade to make but Duncan is the one guy in the NBA that gives you a legit shot at a title. I think that makes you do the deal. You never know what will happen in the future so take the now while you can.

I mean there have been much better prospects than Oden that have failed miserably or not won their team a title. Guys like Ewing, Bias and Coleman all come to mind. Hell Mutombo never won his team a title and if Oden is that good in 4 years time then Portland should be very happy.

Oden is an excellent prospect. Duncan is a great player.
    they did not replace shaq with a dominant big man for the rest of the 10 years. AND we are talking about replacing an OLD shaq not a young shaq. its called getting maximum value out of a player to save the competivness of a team for years to come

RP 4 lyfe

ill keep duncan on my squad.

NBA sixth man of the year

I am pleased with the thread I created. This is just what I wanted.

WoGiTaLiA1 is officially the MVP of the thread. On the other side, RoseCity is the LVP with his "Duncan is weak on D because he gets dunked on" logic.

But, I don't think anyone can put it into better terms than WoGiTaLiA1.

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy11
    I am pleased with the thread I created. This is just what I wanted.

WoGiTaLiA1 is officially the MVP of the thread. On the other side, RoseCity is the LVP with his "Duncan is weak on D because he gets dunked on" logic.

But, I don't think anyone can put it into better terms than WoGiTaLiA1.
    I sense a Duncan bias.

Same question was thrown out there when Lebron James was drafted. Yet somehow i doubt anyone would trade Bron for any established player in the NBA. Duncan included. But whatever.

Very good NBA starter ConanRulesNBC's Avatar

I think it depends on the situation. If I was running a team like the Pistons who realistically only have a chance at winning maybe next season and the season after that and I had the first pick that turned into Greg Oden then yes I would trade for Tim Duncan. If I was a team that was on the process of rebuilding then no way would I trade for Tim Duncan.