Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic

Im like R2, I bypassed the power couplings!! Ive got a dual system here. Im in mac mode right now, but I can switch back and forth.. Game looks great no problems.. Only issue is I cant hear in the earphones.

Anyway I gotta get used to this layout..

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

You guys know if I can do a free trial type deal to try it out before paying up? I haven't been paying attention to SWTOR last couple months. Is it way better than let's say WOW?

I'm a Bioware fanboy... after reading a bunch of reviews right now I'm dead set on buying this with my first check from new job. It looks so amazing. My only problem is my laptop isn't a gaming setup.. so wonder how it will do.

Local High School Star clipse026's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    You guys know if I can do a free trial type deal to try it out before paying up? I haven't been paying attention to SWTOR last couple months. Is it way better than let's say WOW?
    I've played WoW since the 1st few patches. It's similar but all MMO's will be. The part where it differs is the questing. Even if they are still fetch quest or kill X amount of X like WoW, there's an actual story too it. It's actually fun to listen to the fully voiced dialogue and make your own logical decision on how to respond.
    The companions are a nice touch so you don't have to rely on other terrible people while questing but there's a good incentive to do so if you really want.

The only negative I really have so far (through about 25 levels on like 4 characters) is that the UI needs a lot of work. Not enough action bar space and I don't think I noticed any macro system. I also don't like the raid frame and party frames all that much. But Bioware says they will allow (won't let me say add on? lol) support so that will be fixed soon. It's not a deal breaker anyway, just annoying. Also the Galactic Trade Market (Auction House) is kind of crappy. You can't really search for something straight up, you have to browse through what type of item it is, what its for, etc. Just a minor nuisance that will probably be fixed eventually.

All in all it's been well worth it and I don't feel the need to rush through the questing because the story is so enjoyable. Definitely recommend it.
    Last edited by clipse026; 12-31-2011 at 04:05 AM.

Game is too new to be handing out free trials at the moment, but clipse summed it up pretty well. For the quests, stories, character back-stories, it's brilliant. A story driven MMO was a great idea, and as I'm a Star Wars fan anyway, the quests and some of the stories behind them are really interesting to me. I've only rolled Sith Inquisitor (Assassin specced) so far, so there is a hell of a lot more content to get through which I'm excited about. You'll also enjoy the ability to make choices through the game. Light side and dark side points is a nice feature.

When you see Sith characters running around with blue lightsabers, you know that they're playing a nice guy type of character. It's quite interesting to see. I'm kind of a mix really, Dark I side points at the moment, so most of my choices are dark, but I've chosen a few light choices too. It definitely has an interesting effect on how NPCs and your companion interact with you.

♫♪♫

been waiting on this game for years....star wars 4 lyf

rasheed, dope av tuff gong!!

Nah.. thats the one thing that has p*ssed me off about the game so far... They claim to give you a free month, but when you register to play, they hit you with a "recurring billing process" which automatically bills you at the end of the month.. So in effect, they give you a free month, but take it right back by forcing you to at least pay for one month..

worse, they do it at the very end of the registration process, so its you feel dumb for cancelling out of it simply for that reason... that sh*t made me mad

but other than that, its been a great game thus far

Quote Originally Posted by Rasheed1
    Nah.. thats the one thing that has p*ssed me off about the game so far... They claim to give you a free month, but when you register to play, they hit you with a "recurring billing process" which automatically bills you at the end of the month.. So in effect, they give you a free month, but take it right back by forcing you to at least pay for one month..

worse, they do it at the very end of the registration process, so its you feel dumb for cancelling out of it simply for that reason... that sh*t made me mad

but other than that, its been a great game thus far
    Don't think it's any different from any other MMO. I believe WoW does the same thing. You need to prove you can pay for the game to actually play the game. Not really a big deal imo.

Quote Originally Posted by clipse026
    Don't think it's any different from any other MMO. I believe WoW does the same thing. You need to prove you can pay for the game to actually play the game. Not really a big deal imo.

Im new to MMO games. Im a star wars fan who liked the kotor games and especially the stories. The story has been great so far, but Im not used to the keyboard thing .. Im getting better but there were times when I was out there getting whupped on and people had to come save me .... Im better than that now, but there is still soo much to learn..

Fun though

Im new to MMO games. Im a star wars fan who liked the kotor games and especially the stories. The story has been great so far, but Im not used to the keyboard thing .. Im getting better but there were times when I was out there getting whupped on and people had to come save me .... Im better than that now, but there is still soo much to learn..

Fun though
    Yea once you get the hang of the binds it makes life easier. You should do what someone else suggested a page or 2 back about binding keys to Shift/Alt/Control modifiers. It helps to always have stuff to a key instead of having to click. Makes you much faster and it's easier to react to stuff.

Fun though
    If you're struggling with having to keep clicking each enemy when you're facing a mob, use the TAB guy which targets the next nearest enemy. I didn't even know about this until my friend who plays told me. Pretty basic, but I hadn't bothered to look at the controls leaflet.

Got my Sith Assassin up to level 27 now, I'll try and avoid spoiling the story for people, but it's definitely getting interesting, makes me want to keep playing and playing.

Anybody play Huttball yet on a melee class Sentinel/Marauder? ****ing ridiculous. You're at such a disadvantage. Everybody has a slow,knockback or a stun and all you have is a hamstring slow ability that you have to reapply. Every game the top of the damage board is Inquisitor, Bounty Hunter and Imperial Agent. Only reason I even win Huttball is because of some good throws and teamwork. But I have no prayer of catching someone when I'm by myself. Pretty retarded . Definitely frustrating to play as that class.

Quote Originally Posted by clipse026
    Anybody play Huttball yet on a melee class Sentinel/Marauder? ****ing ridiculous. You're at such a disadvantage. Everybody has a slow,knockback or a stun and all you have is a hamstring slow ability that you have to reapply. Every game the top of the damage board is Inquisitor, Bounty Hunter and Imperial Agent. Only reason I even win Huttball is because of some good throws and teamwork. But I have no prayer of catching someone when I'm by myself. Pretty retarded . Definitely frustrating to play as that class.
    I still haven't tried PvP yet. Not sure why, it looks heaps fun, I'll give it a go later.

Inquisitors at the top you say?

I was pretty damn pro on Wow, especially in PVP. Both arena and BG's. I'm sure I'd adapt well. I LOVE Bioware so I gotta get this. I have a couple questions for those of you playing already.

1. Are the requirements higher or similar to wow? In terms of system performance?

2. I hear every class can have pets that fight for you? Are they able to go in instances and PVP?

3. Is there any way for me to pick a class based on wow class comparison? Or are the classes so different that it's impossible? I heard it's nothing alike so no way to know what I'll like on SWTOR till I try.

I basically want to be a good side player (Jedi). I'd probably prefer a caster (force powers) Jedi but that does have melee capability. Basically a versatile class. My favorite class on wow was Elemental Shaman.

I was pretty damn pro on Wow, especially in PVP. Both arena and BG's. I'm sure I'd adapt well. I LOVE Bioware so I gotta get this. I have a couple questions for those of you playing already.

1. Are the requirements higher or similar to wow? In terms of system performance?

2. I hear every class can have pets that fight for you? Are they able to go in instances and PVP?

3. Is there any way for me to pick a class based on wow class comparison? Or are the classes so different that it's impossible? I heard it's nothing alike so no way to know what I'll like on SWTOR till I try.

I basically want to be a good side player (Jedi). I'd probably prefer a caster (force powers) Jedi but that does have melee capability. Basically a versatile class. My favorite class on wow was Elemental Shaman.
    1. I'd say they are higher. Not a ton higher but still higher seeing that the game is a few years newer. Lots of details in the animation during cut scenes and quests.

2. Yes every class/advanced class gets 5 companions throughout the game that are there to support you. I would assume you get 1 of every type. So far through level 25 on my Jedi Sentinel I have a tank and a dps companion. You can only have 1 out with you at a time and yes they can fill a player spot for Heroic quests or Flashpoints. But it's still better to rely on other players in flashpoints the higher you level up. I don't think they can be used in pvp unless it's world pvp. I've yet to encounter the other faction questing yet but I'll let you know when I do.

3. There are no direct comparisons to the WoW classes. There are some similarities though. For instance my highest level is the Jedi Knight - Sentinel advanced class. I dual wield lightsabers and they're basically like a dps warrior. But I also have a few force abilities like a choke type ability and I can throw my light saber in close range. Jedi Consular's are like the caster Jedi. They can either be Jedi Sages which can spec as a healer, or a caster dps. They could also be Jedi Shadows which use a double-bladed saber and have a tank and physical dps spec. Smugglers have a ranged hunter like spec with sniper rifles (minus pets), or a healing/ranged dps with blasters/more melee heavy dps spec. Never played a Trooper so I can't comment on them. But there are no clear cut matches for classes.