Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    College star

Default Re: Mechanically separated chicken

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound
    this is a lie. eating healthy can be done for just as cheap as fast food, but it requires much more time and effort on your part. People argue that eating healthy is more expensive, but it really doesnt have to be at all. I can back this up later if there is a debate or interest.

Clearly, the cheapest, laziest way to feed your self is 2 tacobell 5 layer burritos or whatever every day, but its mostly because of effort rather than actual food cost.

That being said, I still eat FF from time to time. Its incredibly convenient and loaded with all the flavors we are evolutionarily biased to crave (sodium, sugar, fat).
    with teh dollar menus, you can survive on cheap food while being very busy trying to cope with economic hardships. I dont eat fastfood that much at all but i do know thats its more time consuming and expensive to make and eat healthy food. most impoverished people do not have the time.

i am interested in you proving to me how healthy food can be cheaper then say going to tacobell and grabbing their dollar menus.

Good High School Starter evilmonkey's Avatar

More chicken for me!

Meh. You shoudln't be eating fast food anyway. That stuff is pure trash; you dont need something like to get the point across.

this is a lie. eating healthy can be done for just as cheap as fast food, but it requires much more time and effort on your part. People argue that eating healthy is more expensive, but it really doesnt have to be at all. I can back this up later if there is a debate or interest.
    Exactly right.

A few quick examples:
    Can of tuna: $1-$2
    Rotisserie Chicken (baked): $5-$7
    1 lb lean ground beef or bison: $5-$6
    1/2 lb sliced turkey (organic): $4-$5

And so on.

You wont see me in any fast food place.

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bada bing
    with teh dollar menus, you can survive on cheap food while being very busy trying to cope with economic hardships. I dont eat fastfood that much at all but i do know thats its more time consuming and expensive to make and eat healthy food. most impoverished people do not have the time.

i am interested in you proving to me how healthy food can be cheaper then say going to tacobell and grabbing their dollar menus.
    alright. Kinda busy, but Ill make a brief grocery list with prices. For a while there, my wife and I spent 20 bucks a week on groceries max. for the 2 of us. now, we tend to eat out of our garden as well (lettuce, etc) so we'll bump it to 30 for 21 meals.

Having trouble finding grocery prices online. I will use mine from memory unless someone has a site

NBA rookie of the year Styles p's Avatar

canned vegetables are cheap as well as fresh fruits and vegetables. rice is cheap and always a good side to almost any meal.

You can buy very lean (96/4) ground beef for 4 dollars a pound; that's 1 dollar per serving. Chicken breast can also be had for a dollar a serving. You can buy even cheaper sirloin cuts for <1 per serving. You can get turkey breast and cutlets for the same price; pork too. Frozen shrimp can be purchased for about 1.50 a serving. Cod, catfish, flounder, snapper, trout can be purchased for a couple dollars a serving, or less.

Those are your main costs. Pair with green beans, peas, snap peas, carrots, squash/zucc, corn, and tomatoes for 20 cents a serving. If you're like me and grow heirloom tomatoes, bell peppers, and herbs you add those for free. You can get rice for pennies a serving or potatoes and bread. Whole grain pasta is only 1.99 for 6-8 servings.

It's pretty easy to eat healthy and cheap. Most of that stuff can be prepared in 20-45 minutes.

NBA rookie of the year Styles p's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    You can buy very lean (96/4) ground beef for 4 dollars a pound; that's 1 dollar per serving. Chicken breast can also be had for a dollar a serving. You can buy even cheaper sirloin cuts for <1 per serving. You can get turkey breast and cutlets for the same price; pork too. Frozen shrimp can be purchased for about 1.50 a serving. Cod, catfish, flounder, snapper, trout can be purchased for a couple dollars a serving, or less.

Those are your main costs. Pair with green beans, peas, snap peas, carrots, squash/zucc, corn, and tomatoes for 20 cents a serving. If you're like me and grow heirloom tomatoes, bell peppers, and herbs you add those for free. You can get rice for pennies a serving or potatoes and bread. Whole grain pasta is only 1.99 for 6-8 servings.

It's pretty easy to eat healthy and cheap. Most of that stuff can be prepared in 20-45 minutes.
    pretty much and then you have left overs that make for a quick meal instead of fast food.

Chicken Boo
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

[COLOR="White"]...[/COLOR]

Healthiest meat out there.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Boo
    [COLOR="White"]...[/COLOR]
    Negged.

Quote Originally Posted by enayes

Healthiest meat out there.
    The expression on that deer's face is like "That muthafukka beat the shit outta me!"

I had a rack roast of Elk a few weeks ago that was fantastic. It was cooked med. rare and served with an espresso demiglaze.

OK here is the the menu. damn it. cant cut n paste it out of excell.

[PHP] Su M T W Th F S
    B Eggs and Bacon Oatmeal Oatmeal Oatmeal Oatmeal Oatmeal Pancakes
    L Cheesy Pasta leftovers Leftovers leftovers leftovers leftovers leftover open face sandwiches
    D Chicken and Mashed Rice and Beans Chicken burritos Quiche with brocc Pasta Burgers/stewBacon egg-fried rice
    Potatoes peas carrots Rice and bean and leftover chicken with fries or other potato with left over veggies
    [/PHP]

well, its not very clear with the formating but hopefully you can get the idea. most breakfasts are oatmeal. pancakes 1 day and Eggs and Bacon the other. A whole roaster or boiled chicken with mash and veggies on sunday and that chicken is reused in other dished throughout the week.

again, Im not that concerned with it being the absolute healtiest menu, just something that has a balance and incorporates lots of whole foods particularly grains and beans.

the one thing missing (I cut it for Bacon!) is fruit. But again, no reason why you couldnt cut out the bacon, make more bread (yes, we make our own bread) and have eggs and toast instead.
    Last edited by boozehound; 10-04-2010 at 03:53 PM.

Second word I read on that menu is Bacon? I'm sure the list is fine booze, but the first impression is everything.

Here is the weekly grocery list

Item Cost
    Oatmeal 1.5
    Black Beans (5 lbs) 1.5
    Brown Rice (28 oz) 2.69
    Flour (5 lbs) 2
    2 dozen eggs 2
    Gallon Milk 1.88
    Potatos (5 lbs) 2
    carrots 1