Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-18-2018, 02:02 AM   #31
bladefd
NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: RIP Stephen Hawking (1942-2018)

Why are you guys comparing who had a greater impact? They both changed our understanding of physics and the world. Both Tesla and Hawking were powerful inspirational figures. Let's not dwell into arguments over who was greater because both were great and it just takes away from what they did.

This thread concerns Hawking passing away so pay your respects to a once in a lifetime sort of brilliant person who sought and successfully changed humanity for the better. We are better for having this man be a part of our journey as a species, and we will never forget what he did even while physically challenged. In the end, he let his ideas define him rather than his physical disability. It speaks volumes of what he overcame and the sort of person he was. We should all be inspired by that.
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 05:31 AM   #32
Overdrive
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCSteady
So formulating the first concept of Universal Wifi decades before anybody else?

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/free-...ld-kovarskaya/

These are a few more, obvious examples of why Tesla didn't just harnass "obvious things." Dude was a freak of nature as a human being

I'm not talking about obvious things for people back then. I mean that Tesla invented stuff that is daily used by common people now hence an more obvious invention to the public and the reason why Tesla is so popular and people claim that he is greater than any other scientist ever.

btw Tesla didn't create the first Neon signs(Geißler, Claude), X-rays(Conrad Röntgen) and I'm just 3 deep into the link. The electric motor was invented before Tesla was even born(Faraday 1821, Jacobi 1834). Laser, Radio, Robots? Not by Tesla either. Wifi maybe. No knowledge about that.

AC was by him, but I already stated that, and wireless energy.

The problem about wireless energy is that those tesla coils are loud AF. I prefer 10kV cables some meters into the ground over >110dB 24/7.

Last edited by Overdrive : 03-18-2018 at 05:51 AM.
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 07:24 AM   #33
Lebowsky
Hi, how are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCSteady
So formulating the first concept of Universal Wifi decades before anybody else?

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/free-...ld-kovarskaya/

These are a few more, obvious examples of why Tesla didn't just harnass "obvious things." Dude was a freak of nature as a human being

Pretty much everything on that list was discovered or invented by someone else.

1. Polyphase AC: Invented in Germany in the early 1870s (Tesla was still in school). The Ganz company in Budapest was also routinely creating and using AC transformers in the late 1870s. Tesla's first job was in Budapest in 1880, what a coincidence... Tesla was exposed to AC in Europe before he moved to the US and he was just one of many working on it. His biggest contribution was probably helping to popularize it. Not even the induction coil, the so-called "Tesla coil" was even invented by him.

2. Fluorescent light: McFarlan Moore developed the early commercial arc tube. Germer or Inman invented the modern fluorescent light, depending on the criteria.

3. Observed and routinely generated by many before Tesla. Officially credited to Rontgen.

I don't feel like, going through the rest, but that linkedin link is completely baseless bullshit.

Last edited by Lebowsky : 03-18-2018 at 07:30 AM.
Lebowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: