Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-23-2017, 05:31 PM   #1
Vragrant
National High School Star

Default If NBA Trending To Become More Popular Than NFL?

Good discussion with Jalen Rose and Jacoby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17IYDKGUwNU
Vragrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:37 PM   #2
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

Default Re: If NBA Trending To Become More Popular Than NFL?

I have no idea what they latest ratings show but just a few years ago the lowest rated Dallas Cowboy's game (regular season game) had higher ratings than every single game of the NBA Finals combined.

Maybe today that is no longer the case...but there is no way the NBA will eclipse the NFL any time soon.
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:43 PM   #3
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted

Nah fantasy and betting is much more popular with NFL, NBA has no chance.
bigkingsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:56 PM   #4
Lord P
High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkingsfan
Nah fantasy and betting is much more popular with NFL, NBA has no chance.
I agree with this
But NBA 2k will forever be more popular than Madden, and I can live with just that.
Lord P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 06:15 PM   #5
Orlando Magic
NBA All-star

This is never going to happen unless another MJ comes along or unless the NFL undergoes some MASSIVE scandal... those are the only chances...

The reasoning is simple... it's not that people really like football that much... it's because they only have to invest 1 day a week... lol...

Most Americans are all about convenience, not being weighed down, selfishness, living a casual life in general, making a quick buck, instant gratification... so any team sport that can allow people to invest at the smallest amount possible is going to be towards the top...

The NFL allows you to only have to watch your team once a week for only what? 16 cumulative days + playoffs? Lol. Add in the violence of people hitting each other and it's easy to see why... Football is for casuals, which most Americans are.

The two guys in the video have zero idea what they're talking about in terms of the reasons behind why things are the way they are... lol... completely and utterly embarrassing.

Just because NBA players are more individually well known than NFL players, it doesn't speak to the leagues as a whole... NBA players are the faces of franchises because literally one guy can change teams and change the entire makeup of the league and individual franchises... NFL players don't have that much impact outside of a few QBs because of the nature of the sport... NBA players have 5 guys on the court at one time, of course they're going to stand out more when the sport is driven by individuals whereas NFL is driven by teams...

Just because NBA players are wealthier, doesn't say anything about the NBA vs NFL popularity... there is less divvying up the pot in the NBA because the rosters are so much bigger in the NFL... NFL teams get 53 players... NBA teams get 15. In fact I'd be surprised if NFL teams don't have a significantly higher amount of people on the payroll in general, never mind the players themselves... these two guys, Jalen Rose and David Jacoby are absolute clowns on this subject.

NBA players are so much closer to the cameras, the rosters are smaller, and individual players have larger impacts on team success than any other sport because... IT'S THE NATURE OF THE SPORT. OF COURSE THE INDIVIDUALS of the NBA are going to be more popular! That speaks nothing on the leagues themselves!

The NFL is far more popular and as I said, it's not changing. The gap isn't closing.

Last edited by Orlando Magic : 09-23-2017 at 06:30 PM.
Orlando Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 06:22 PM   #6
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

Less games does help the NFL but not because it's 'convenient' but because it makes every game extremely meaningful thus a must watch.

One single MLB/NBA game means not so much, you can miss a game and who cares.

If NBA was just 16 games? Each game would be epic af...it would boost ratings I think.

Sports really does benefit from a 'less is more' concept...the more games there are, the less meaning those games have, the more watered down it is.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:37 PM   #7
Orlando Magic
NBA All-star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~primetime~
Less games does help the NFL but not because it's 'convenient' but because it makes every game extremely meaningful thus a must watch.

One single MLB/NBA game means not so much, you can miss a game and who cares.

If NBA was just 16 games? Each game would be epic af...it would boost ratings I think.

Sports really does benefit from a 'less is more' concept...the more games there are, the less meaning those games have, the more watered down it is.

Yes, it increases the importance of each game for sure, but convenience plays a huge role. Only having to invest 2-3 hours a week to keep up, on the slowest day of the week in terms of life happenings, means they're more likely to be able to get in front of a TV set. That's convenience. If all NFL games suddenly switched to Tuesday nights at 7 to 10 pm start time they would take a MASSIVE hit in popularity. If rest and recovery weren't a thing and the NFL teams played 82 games a season before the playoffs, they would take a MASSIVE hit in popularity.

The reason the NFL is more popular is because the NFL is for casuals that don't want to invest because of the nature of the sport. It's that simple. I'm not completely disagreeing with you, I'm simply saying the convenient nature of it in terms of required time invested and the day of the week it falls on, which both boil down to convenience, makes convenience the primary driving factor for the disparity in the popularity of the two sports.

Last edited by Orlando Magic : 09-23-2017 at 06:40 PM.
Orlando Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 06:44 PM   #8
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

Maybe...

I personally can't relate to that because I watch Thursday Night, all of Sunday, and Monday Night and then on off nights I tinker and toy with my fantasy teams.

I think there are lots like me too...I remember reading an article about how fantasy football is costing US businesses billions $$$.

MLB, there are so many god damn games you miss some and then it's like "fck it I'll get caught up come playoff time"...the NBA has some of that too.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:10 PM   #9
HylianNightmare
The Magic are a trash

Not as long as we have Americans who are stupid enough to put Trump in office
HylianNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:00 PM   #10
FireDavidKahn
The Puppeteer

Right now it's not even close.

NFL has a revenue that's over twice that of the NBA.
FireDavidKahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:14 PM   #11
poido123
Down with GLOBALISM

NFL losing ratings with the protests etc.

NBA Basketball has regressed as a product. Too corrupted by money and superteams.
poido123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:15 PM   #12
poido123
Down with GLOBALISM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HylianNightmare
Not as long as we have Americans who are stupid enough to put Trump in office

I didn't see all the Trumper's crying on a daily basis when Obama was in power?
Old 09-23-2017, 08:30 PM   #13
HylianNightmare
The Magic are a trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by poido123

I didn't see all the Trumper's crying on a daily basis when Obama was in power?
You must be blind then
HylianNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:03 PM   #14
poido123
Down with GLOBALISM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HylianNightmare
You must be blind then

Starting riots in the streets? Calling for impeachment?
Old 09-24-2017, 12:35 AM   #15
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

I think so because the NBA has that superstar appeal. They have players that are extremely marketable and popular both domestically and internationally. These players are brands and when their brand becomes more marketable so does the NBA. Now you have the Euros that are coming in who are spreading the brand there. NBA is probably gonna create some freak Indian and Chinese superstar in a lab for dat sweet appeal. We saw what Linsanity did in a big market. Imagine if there a good (doesn't even have to be all star lvl) Indian player in the league and a Chinese Lebron?

NFL doesn't have the same superstar appeal. I also think what hurts the NFL are all the injuries the athletes get. Youth participation for football is at a low and they've been getting alot of bad press for the all the injuries.

One thing that I think hurts the NBA is the Golden State Warriors. We all know the Warriors are gonna repeat this year. That and how bad the Knicks been. Just give us the #1 overall pick so we can have a good team going forward.
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: